NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
hlhollow

hlhollow is on a distinguished road
Default AECF ATT & A -School

I am a current depper shipping on 6-Dec contracted for the AECF program, and I'm thinking about selling my car before I leave for a few different reasons. I am trying to get some clarification on if cars are allowed at all during A-school and if so how frequently are we able to actually use them? I havent been able to find any information concerning cars during A-school and C-school.

Thanks in advance
hlhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

I'm sure someone else can answer this for you since it's been a long time for us, but I'm pretty certain you do not get driving privledges during a-school. As far as c-school goes, I'm not sure - I know DH had them (he'd drive from San Diego to LA every weekend because we were waiting on housing down there), but it could vary by school.

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

Michael had his truck for C school...in fact, I wrote about his trip from Biloxi to San Diego with his truck back in October. LONG TRIP but he did it by himself!
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
navymom222

navymom222 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhollow View Post
I am a current depper shipping on 6-Dec contracted for the AECF program, and I'm thinking about selling my car before I leave for a few different reasons. I am trying to get some clarification on if cars are allowed at all during A-school and if so how frequently are we able to actually use them? I havent been able to find any information concerning cars during A-school and C-school.

Thanks in advance
You can't have a car at A school now but you can have one at C school.
Good luck to you!
navymom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

It depends where your "A school in.

Since you will be going to Great Lakes for "A" school, you cannot have a car. The only people allowed are married personne, Fleet returnee's, and one other thing that I can't think of right now....

In Pensacola, you can have them in Phase 2.

btw: Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhollow View Post

Thanks in advance
I was allowed to have my car in ET A school in Great Lakes. I got there in May '09 and they allowed this up till like Jan '10 when the base was out of parking. I don't know the situation now since I left in June '10 but only ET's and FC's and some IC's with C school in Great Lakes were allowed cars. They may have opened this back up since a lot of people have since left that had cars.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

Only way youre allowed to have you car while in Student Status is if your a Liver Shore( meaning your married and your spouse lives in Great Lakes with you) or if your a Fleet Returnee. But i do know a couple people that have cars, they just park them off base.
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

This varies command to command and with each new CO things also change. You'd need to look into that specific command. For nukes you can have a car when you reach phase 2 (about 2 months after you arrive here).
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
ctraggie

ctraggie is on a distinguished road
Question

Again, I love these questions that are asked that I didn't even know I had.

Craig, what do you mean by "Phase 2"?

How long should I expect to wait before I can have my vehicle, and what are other privileges I can expect at that time?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
prop827

I'm not craig, but I'll answer. When you get to A School (no matter your rate), you will be Naval Military Training (NMT) Phase 1. After a set period you will go to NMT Phase 2 and then NMT Phase 3. The amount of time for each depends on how long your A School is. A 3 Month or longer A School will be 4 weeks of Phase 1, 4 weeks phase 2, and the remainder Phase 3. While in school, if you get into any kind of trouble (caught breaking phase, not passing PFA's, failing room inspections or failing personnel inspections), you can either be denied phasing up, or be phase stripped (set back to phase 1 or 2). With each phase you get added privileges. Below is a general list.

NMT Phase 1:
Civilian Clothing is NOT Authorized (Must be in uniform at all times)
Liberty is restricted to base on week nights (Monday-Thursday)
Weekend Liberty (Friday-Sunday) commences no earlier than 1600 Friday or 0500 Saturday and Sunday, and expires in the sailors BEQ each night at 0015
Alcohol consumption is prohibited regardless of sailors age
No one on phase 1 is authorized to operate a vehicle (including POV's, others POVs and rental vehicles)
Phase 1 liberty radius is 75 miles
Phase 1 may NOT put in any special request chits

NMT Phase 2:
Civilian Clothing is authorized on weekends from 1600 Friday until 0015 Sunday
Civilian Clothing is NOT authorized Monday through Friday
Liberty is no longer restricted to base (off base liberty all days, though only in uniform on Monday-Thursday)
Weekend Liberty Commences when placed on Liberty by SLPO Friday and expires at 0015 each night (no Overnight Liberty)
Liberty Commences at 0500 on Saturday and Sunday
Consumption of alcohol is authorized on days not preceding an academic day (Friday and Saturday) by those of legal drinking age
Phase 2 is authorized to operate a POV without restriction
Phase 2 is authorized to put in special request chits to extend liberty radius up to 375 miles from base

NMT Phase 3:
Civilian clothing is authorized whenever not in a duty status or inside of the academic building(s)
Liberty expires at 0015 each night preceding an academic day (ie overnight liberty from Friday until Sunday or Monday if Monday is a holiday)
Consumption of alcohol by those of legal drinking age is authorized (read: not restricted on weeknights.... don't know why but that's how it is)
No POV or Driving Restrictions
Phase 3 can put in special request chits to extend liberty radius (375 miles authorized by SLPO, may request further, but chit will need to be routed higher up chain of command; I got a 1,000 mile liberty radius to go home on liberty one weekend through my chain of command)
Phase 3 can put in ANY special request chit (Rations, Tattoo, Marriage, etc.)

There may be other liberty/restrictions, but I don't recall them right now.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this info, I have been looking for a detailed list of the different phases!
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
I'm not craig, but I'll answer. When you get to A School (no matter your rate), you will be Naval Military Training (NMT) Phase 1. After a set period you will go to NMT Phase 2 and then NMT Phase 3. The amount of time for each depends on how long your A School is. A 3 Month or longer A School will be 4 weeks of Phase 1, 4 weeks phase 2, and the remainder Phase 3. While in school, if you get into any kind of trouble (caught breaking phase, not passing PFA's, failing room inspections or failing personnel inspections), you can either be denied phasing up, or be phase stripped (set back to phase 1 or 2). With each phase you get added privileges. Below is a general list.

NMT Phase 1:
Civilian Clothing is NOT Authorized (Must be in uniform at all times)
Liberty is restricted to base on week nights (Monday-Thursday)
Weekend Liberty (Friday-Sunday) commences no earlier than 1600 Friday or 0500 Saturday and Sunday, and expires in the sailors BEQ each night at 0015
Alcohol consumption is prohibited regardless of sailors age
No one on phase 1 is authorized to operate a vehicle (including POV's, others POVs and rental vehicles)
Phase 1 liberty radius is 75 miles
Phase 1 may NOT put in any special request chits

NMT Phase 2:
Civilian Clothing is authorized on weekends from 1600 Friday until 0015 Sunday
Civilian Clothing is NOT authorized Monday through Friday
Liberty is no longer restricted to base (off base liberty all days, though only in uniform on Monday-Thursday)
Weekend Liberty Commences when placed on Liberty by SLPO Friday and expires at 0015 each night (no Overnight Liberty)
Liberty Commences at 0500 on Saturday and Sunday
Consumption of alcohol is authorized on days not preceding an academic day (Friday and Saturday) by those of legal drinking age
Phase 2 is authorized to operate a POV without restriction
Phase 2 is authorized to put in special request chits to extend liberty radius up to 375 miles from base

NMT Phase 3:
Civilian clothing is authorized whenever not in a duty status or inside of the academic building(s)
Liberty expires at 0015 each night preceding an academic day (ie overnight liberty from Friday until Sunday or Monday if Monday is a holiday)
Consumption of alcohol by those of legal drinking age is authorized (read: not restricted on weeknights.... don't know why but that's how it is)
No POV or Driving Restrictions
Phase 3 can put in special request chits to extend liberty radius (375 miles authorized by SLPO, may request further, but chit will need to be routed higher up chain of command; I got a 1,000 mile liberty radius to go home on liberty one weekend through my chain of command)
Phase 3 can put in ANY special request chit (Rations, Tattoo, Marriage, etc.)

There may be other liberty/restrictions, but I don't recall them right now.

A lot of this isn't correct how they do things in Great Lakes for A school. There are only 2 phases and you typically just have to pass a test to get Phase 2. Phase 1 is uniform only, can't drink, can't drive, you can leave base but have to be back by midnight(may be sooner). Phase 2 is civilian gear anytime during liberty, you can drink if 21, you can drive a car and you can leave base and have over night liberty.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
prop827

Yes, this varies command to command, but it is VERY similar navy wide. Short schools may only have 2 phases (undes. particularly), but the vast majority will have all 3. Time phase to phase is different and details may change, but this will give you a good idea. For Nukes, this is EXACTLY what your phases will be like.