NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
mattd2414

mattd2414 is on a distinguished road
Default former/current aecf personel

What was a-school like? What is your nec and what was your c-school like? What is your daily life like as an et/fc? And my last question, my contract says I am fts and I dont fully understand that so if you can please explain it that would be nicebut I read online that fc is not available for fts does that mean I will be an et?
mattd2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about

Are you reserves? I thought FTS was a reserve thing

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
NavyPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
mattd2414

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPanther View Post
Are you reserves? I thought FTS was a reserve thing
they said ill be in reserves on paper but still do active duty work?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

If your FTS you'll be an ET. FTS ET's have really good advancement and you'll just be active duty with pay coming from the reserve pot. There is plenty of ET information on this site.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
mattd2414

Ok thankyou
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Are AECF ATT still 9-11 weeks and is FC/ET A-school still 31/42 weeks? That's a long A-school, seems longer than some nuclear guys.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Tavak

Tavak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2414 View Post
What was a-school like? What is your nec and what was your c-school like? What is your daily life like as an et/fc? And my last question, my contract says I am fts and I dont fully understand that so if you can please explain it that would be nice but I read online that fc is not available for fts does that mean I will be an et?
I absolutely loved A school once I started learning how to troubleshoot the actual equipment, even though its outdated in the comms mods. I'm an ET so I only speak on that school. The first 6 weeks is called "non-equips", meaning its just general information you need to know but you wont actually see a Radar or anything. It's computer based training backed with a lecture from an instructor to answer any questions. After that you learn how to troubleshoot comms gear, then radar gear, then you're an ET. The comms and radar mods took about 7 weeks each.

As far as orders go you pick them like 2-4 weeks before you graduate. You'll get a list and you choose in order of your GPA. Your NEC is chosen for you, all you choose in the location you want and the ship. The FCs pick by location, ship, AND NEC but that's because they are usually on hold for a long time after finishing A school so they pick in groups of 80-100. ETs will pick with their class and possibly with the class ahead of or behind yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
Are AECF ATT still 9-11 weeks and is FC/ET A-school still 31/42 weeks? That's a long A-school, seems longer than some nuclear guys.
For ETs ATT is 11 weeks and for FCs its 10 weeks. The amount of time your in Great Lakes in total after boot camp in school is about 40 but that's not the A school by itself. The ET A school is 20 weeks long and the FC is 14 or 15 weeks.

I graduated boot camp on June 6th of last year and graduated A school on February 13th of this year. That's almost 40 weeks not including holiday stand down and the first week of indoc.
Tavak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
Navyguy22

Navyguy22 is on a distinguished road

Can we get update on current AECF NEC orders and a little description of what the work is like. Whether it be ET or FC, I would like to know more current information about this type of work.

Also, what type of skills are transferrable (valuable) in the civilian sector and if offered $$$ can you let us know an idea of salary
Navyguy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 AM   #9
Teck3

Teck3 is a glorious beacon of lightTeck3 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy22 View Post
Also, what type of skills are transferrable (valuable) in the civilian sector and if offered $$$ can you let us know an idea of salary
ET: https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/et.htm
FC: https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/fc.htm

You can find the certifications and related occupations on Navy COOL, with links to information about those job fields (including average education and salaries).
Ship - 20151019 (currently at RTC)
Teck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
Tmartin

Tmartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
If your FTS you'll be an ET. FTS ET's have really good advancement and you'll just be active duty with pay coming from the reserve pot. There is plenty of ET information on this site.
Are you absolutely positive that I'll be an ET.? My recruiter is still telling me that I could get either job and I'm not choosy but I'd still like to know.
Tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmartin View Post
Are you absolutely positive that I'll be an ET.? My recruiter is still telling me that I could get either job and I'm not choosy but I'd still like to know.
Yes. If you're an FTS guy then you're going ET. There aren't any FTS-FC's.
If you want proof, go check out the Community Managers page for Surface CS/Ops: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/default.aspx

Under FTS in the Surface Combat Systems section (ETs and FCs are both part of Combat Systems), you'll see the only community is ET-FTS.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
biruis

biruis is on a distinguished road

Nuclear A-school really isn't long. Six months at most. But we have to do powerschool and prototype after which are around 9 and 6 months.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biruis View Post
Nuclear A-school really isn't long. Six months at most. But we have to do powerschool and prototype after which are around 9 and 6 months.
FTS guys won't be nuke-ET's. Different career tracks.

/r
CTT1

Tags
aecf