NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default AECF field info sheet...

Attached are the AECF Field info sheets...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AECF.pdf (999.1 KB, 577 views)
File Type: doc AECF.doc (44.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: pdf aecf_06_11.pdf (29.0 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Craig; 04-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Great info thanks Craiggers!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
tomasaquinas

tomasaquinas is on a distinguished road
Smile Questions about AEFC

Hi kforbes,

Craig M referred me to you, (Thanks Craig M!)concerning some questions I have about AECF.

My 17 year old who is a Senior in HS this year, was just sworn into the Navy Tuesday! We are very excited for her, and she is excited as well. She took her ASVAB test on Monday, the physical Tuesday. I think due to her ASVAB score she was led to chose for her career the AECF.

So, my questions to you are: as a young women, is this a good direction for her?? Honestly kforbes, not sure if you're male or female, but either way, you input would appreciated. Obviously as a parent we want her to go in the right direction and into something she will not only enjoy but excel at.

Thank you kforbes!

Thomas
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasaquinas View Post
Hi kforbes,

Craig M referred me to you, (Thanks Craig M!)concerning some questions I have about AECF.

My 17 year old who is a Senior in HS this year, was just sworn into the Navy Tuesday! We are very excited for her, and she is excited as well. She took her ASVAB test on Monday, the physical Tuesday. I think due to her ASVAB score she was led to chose for her career the AECF.

So, my questions to you are: as a young women, is this a good direction for her?? Honestly kforbes, not sure if you're male or female, but either way, you input would appreciated. Obviously as a parent we want her to go in the right direction and into something she will not only enjoy but excel at.

Thank you kforbes!

Thomas
Thomas,
I can definitely answer a lot of your questions. By the way I'm female. To answer your first question, is it a good direction. Well that all depends on what she likes to do. If she's very handy, likes to fix stuff and is into technology I would say yes. ET's generally are considered the "Everything Tech" and they fix a lot of stuff from computers to radar on ships. We are well trained in electronics and electrical stuff. FC the other rate generally do the same but with the weapons systems on ships. The schooling is pretty intense and definitely college level with a LOT of math and electric theory involved.

Unfortunately you don't have a choice in ET or FC and you find out about 3/4 of the way through boot what you'll get. Now it is a great field cause the rewards after Navy life with good job opportunities that make pretty good money. Also bonuses are nice to ET/FC for reenlistment. You also get a lot of college credit going through A school and follow on with C school. If you have anymore questions please email me at ***EDITED BY ADMIN, I WILL SEND PM TO HIM WITH YOUR ADDRESS **** it's easier to get a hold of me that way cause I don't get on the web often. I can definitely give you any input needed.

Last edited by Craig; 08-07-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

The field info sheet they gave me at MEPS for AECF (revised 01/08) says ATT is 9 weeks, FC Strand 12 weeks, and ET Strand 17 weeks.

The last one above (revised 06/11) says ATT is still 9 weeks, FC Strand is 20 weeks, and ET Strand is 42 weeks.

Are these still accurate? Or has this changed again? I'm just trying to get an accurate picture of how long I will be in Great Lakes.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
FutureSailor

FutureSailor is on a distinguished road

The lengths of the schools are never exact; they're more like approximations. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be in Great Lakes for about a year though. You have ATT, A-school, and then you'll be put on hold to wait for orders which, currently, are taking at least a couple months to get.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
DiNovo

DiNovo is on a distinguished road

My question concerning the AECF program is if FCs do pretty much everything ETs do and also deal with the firing systems why do ETs go to school for a longer period of time?

I'm just curious, because no matter what job I get I'm going to do my best to make top scores and work my ass off. Also, I was told that FCs spend more time at sea which I'm interested in.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNovo View Post
My question concerning the AECF program is if FCs do pretty much everything ETs do and also deal with the firing systems why do ETs go to school for a longer period of time?

I'm just curious, because no matter what job I get I'm going to do my best to make top scores and work my ass off. Also, I was told that FCs spend more time at sea which I'm interested in.
They don't do the same thing ET's do. ET's do comms and radar and FC's do weapon systems. There is a big difference in what we both do. FC's are a sea going rate and I do know their first tour is 5 years at sea then 2nd is 5 years compared to ET's which is 4 years then 3.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
DiNovo

DiNovo is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I've seen the manning levels for ETs and FCs. The probability of being assigned ET seems to be more likely since the manning levels are lower, but a friend of mine said during boot camp he was told he would be an ET, but when he was being assigned he made a suggestion that he would rather be a FC and he got the latter instead.

Regardless, I plan on make the best out of whatever I get.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNovo View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the information. I've seen the manning levels for ETs and FCs. The probability of being assigned ET seems to be more likely since the manning levels are lower, but a friend of mine said during boot camp he was told he would be an ET, but when he was being assigned he made a suggestion that he would rather be a FC and he got the latter instead.

Regardless, I plan on make the best out of whatever I get.

I find that hard to believe that he made a suggestion and got what he wanted. They usually have your orders cut and that's when you find out what you'll be. But I guess it could happen that way.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
KaiserBachfeld

KaiserBachfeld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor View Post
The lengths of the schools are never exact; they're more like approximations. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be in Great Lakes for about a year though. You have ATT, A-school, and then you'll be put on hold to wait for orders which, currently, are taking at least a couple months to get.
I am assuming that the training called 'Advanced Electronics Technical Core Fundamentals' (on the first sheet) and 'Apprentice Technical Training' (on the second/third sheets) is A-school. Then C-school refers to the advanced training when the FCs and ETs split. Is this correct?

I have a ship date of 20150607 for the Navy Reserve. I will be an ET since there are no FCs in the Reserve.

FutureSailor, you mentioned that the dates are approximations. So A-school could be anywhere from 9 to 19 weeks and C-school could be anywhere from 13 to 42 weeks? That seems like a large variation. The .doc file is dated 01/08 so we could probably throw that one out and stay with last .pdf file name 'aecf_06_11' that is dated 06/11. The first .pdf file named 'AECF' is a different format and has no date. Throwing out the .doc form doesn't change the approximate length because it lands between the two .pdf files.

I am trying to plan out my training schedule so that my wife (and future baby due 20151018) will know how to plan and what to expect. I may have them come live with me during C-school especially if my training is over 6-months and the Navy pays to move them to Great Lakes.

I should be completed with RTC on about 20150817 (two months after my ship date). I understand that I then will go directly to the barracks and begin A-school. According to the posted info sheets, I will complete A-school sometime between between October 2015 and January 2016 (based on the approximations from the posted job sheets). Then from what you said I may be sitting around on base for a couple of months to get my orders for C-school to begin (I assume I would have permission to take leave, will I still get paid during that time)? So I may start C-school some time between December 2015 and March 2016. Then I will finish C-school sometime between March 2016 and December 2016.

Does anyone know what the training schedule looks like around Federal holidays such as Christmas? My calculations earlier didn't include any holiday time off so it may be finished with my training at the end of January 2017.

Thank you for any help that can be provided. I am not worried about it but my wife certainly is.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
KaiserBachfeld

KaiserBachfeld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Attached are the AECF Field info sheets...
According to Cool Navy there is an info sheet dated 10/14 (also attached) and A-school alone is 42 weeks and then one advances to C-school but no information regarding C-school is on the info sheet. However, the description does say that the training is a self-paced computer based training so maybe I could move through the training faster.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ET job info sheet.pdf (97.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

This thread is from 2012. Please do not bump old threads.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread