NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
blueberripie

blueberripie is on a distinguished road
Question AECF total wks in school?

Does anyone know the total weeks for AECF schooling? I'm being told A school can be 9 wks then someone says oh no it's almost a year. Then C school 12 and 17 weeks. Just very frustrating when I keep being told several different time frames.
Thanks
blueberripie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

I am curious on this as well. I am getting the same info as you and I am very confused.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

School for FC's and ET's are different. Depending on your rate youll be in ATT for 17 weeks(ETs) or 19weeks(FCs). After youre done with ATT you move on to 'A' school but might have hold time in between. I think i waited about 2 weeks. When you go to 'A' school i dont remember it in weeks i just know it was from Sept. 21st till Feb. 3rd when i graduated. Since then Ive been on holds waiting for orders. ETs get orders pretty fast but FCs.. be prepared to wait for awhile.
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

What would cause FC's to wait longer than ET's for orders? And while waiting what do you do? Temporary Assignment?
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

FCs wait longer just because our orders are somewhat backed up. You have a class of 25 or so graduate every friday so just not enough orders for them all. I was lucky and only had to wait about 4 1/2 months. But, while waiting you will be on a holds ship, the USS Cole, and do working parties and do sweepers..alot. For the most part you have a lot of free time,and they have some volunteer opportunies on occasions
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
cakers00

cakers00 is on a distinguished road

It looks like the information on schoolings has been updated as of 10/2012.
ATT training is approx 9 weeks for both FC and ET.
A school for FC is 31 weeks.
A school for ET is 42 weeks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aecf.pdf (28.8 KB, 74 views)
cakers00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
kate0116

kate0116 is on a distinguished road

I'm going in as an AECF, and leave on Tuesday. My rating sheet that I got states that you first have an apprenticeship that last 9 weeks, and A school depends on whether or not you take ET or FC. ET is 12 weeks where FC is 17 weeks. As far as C school goes, from what I understand, there are so many sub-categories under ET and FC, and so many different C school locations, etc. that you have to wait to find out where you will be going to C school and the duration of C school. What I do know is that I will be in Great Lakes for ~30 weeks (including boot camp).
From what I've been told and have figured out with ET and FC is that FC is more "elite", but is also out on sea tours more often. Actually, I've heard they're out there a lot. Ultimately, with all the sub-categories and everything else, it just depends on the needs of the navy.
Here's what my rate fact sheet looks like which I got from my recruiter. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-Ele...uter-Field.pdf
I hope that helps.
kate0116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
samakb
**Active Duty**

samakb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate0116 View Post
I'm going in as an AECF, and leave on Tuesday. My rating sheet that I got states that you first have an apprenticeship that last 9 weeks, and A school depends on whether or not you take ET or FC. ET is 12 weeks where FC is 17 weeks. As far as C school goes, from what I understand, there are so many sub-categories under ET and FC, and so many different C school locations, etc. that you have to wait to find out where you will be going to C school and the duration of C school. What I do know is that I will be in Great Lakes for ~30 weeks (including boot camp).
From what I've been told and have figured out with ET and FC is that FC is more "elite", but is also out on sea tours more often. Actually, I've heard they're out there a lot. Ultimately, with all the sub-categories and everything else, it just depends on the needs of the navy.
Here's what my rate fact sheet looks like which I got from my recruiter. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-Ele...uter-Field.pdf
I hope that helps.
The info sheet you linked is a bit outdated. Here is the latest info sheet: AECF INFO SHEET

Very different time lengths compared to 2008.
samakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
kate0116

Quote:
Originally Posted by samakb View Post
The info sheet you linked is a bit outdated. Here is the latest info sheet: AECF INFO SHEET

Very different time lengths compared to 2008.
That's interesting, because the sheet I linked to has the exact same info as the rate fact sheet I got from my recruiter once I signed when I was switching my rate. And, you're right, that is a BIG difference. I guess I will try and inquire when I check in with my recruiter tomorrrow. Normally I wouldn't care too much, but I have a husband, a 4 year old and 6 year old. Our plans would completely change if that was the new time frame.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate0116 View Post
That's interesting, because the sheet I linked to has the exact same info as the rate fact sheet I got from my recruiter once I signed when I was switching my rate. And, you're right, that is a BIG difference. I guess I will try and inquire when I check in with my recruiter tomorrrow. Normally I wouldn't care too much, but I have a husband, a 4 year old and 6 year old. Our plans would completely change if that was the new time frame.
You are going to be in great lakes about 18 months. I just had a guy come from great lakes and he was there about that. He hasn't attended C school yet but will in a month. I was also there for about 18 months.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
kate0116

Thanks for the info, that was more helpful then my recruiter was...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
eihander

eihander is on a distinguished road

Giving an update on the new AECF, -- June 2013

"A"
School is 9 weeks ET/FC (2 1/2 months)

"C"

FC Strand is 12 weeks (3 months)

ET Strand is 17 weeks (~4 months)

I just finished up my MEPS and on DEP until FEB2014. Wish it was sooner!

Last edited by eihander; 06-12-2013 at 08:59 PM.
eihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
navywife83

navywife83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eihander View Post
Giving an update on the new AECF, -- June 2013

"A"
School is 9 weeks ET/FC (2 1/2 months)

"C"

FC Strand is 12 weeks (3 months)

ET Strand is 17 weeks (~4 months)

I just finished up my MEPS and on DEP until FEB2014. Wish it was sooner!
This is somewhat incorrect.... My husband went through FC "A" school but cross rated before "C" school due to being on hold for 5 months waiting for orders.

A school was MUCH longer than 9 weeks....

He classed up March 2011 and completed all the training that is held in Great Lakes (ATT and A school) October 14 2011 then sat on hold until March 2012 when he decided to crossrate.

His friends that stayed in the rate eventually went on to their "C" schools in San Diego or VA - I cannot help with info on that though since my husband went on to be an ITS.

EDIT:
What you have here is the aprox ATT and FC/ET A school time frame
navywife83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

I am in FC "A" right now. FC "A" is 15 weeks. I can't really speak for ET "A" because I don't really talk to any of the ETs. They are on days and we are on nights.

ATT for FCs was 10 weeks and ETs have 11 weeks (I think). ATT is...terrible. If you have an AA, you will probably be bored out of your mind, like I was. I have a bachelors degree. The hardest part was how unbelievably slow we went.

But, as for C school, that depends on what NEC you get. Right now we are picking orders based on GPA in A school. The orders are coming in faster that they were earlier this year, but that fluctuates. There was a class that finished a couple of weeks ago that had orders when they graduated. There was also a class that graduated last week with no orders. I have 2 weeks left, still nor orders. However, of those that picked orders, they still don't leave for a while (September/October), unless they pick shore duty, which leaves within a few weeks of graduating.

Again, things change here very quickly, so by the time you get here, it may be different. But, this is how things are right now.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Little Red

Little Red is on a distinguished road

That's so strange how a schools lengths can change so drastically in such a short time. When I swore in April 11 of this year they gave me a few job cards, one for AECF and then I asked for more detailed on each rating so the classifier gave me one of ET and FC. The job card for AECF was revised in 2008 said a school for FC was 12 weeks, and ET was 17 weeks. But on the individual ones which was revised in oct of 2012, says ET a school is 42 weeks, and FC a school is 20 weeks. I mean for an ET a time frame change like that can be very surprising lol
Little Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
still.motivated

still.motivated is on a distinguished road
Default Hmm

Yeah, when I got my rating card...sheet. I saw 9 weeks.. then like 12/17 weeks for whichever specific job they assign to you.
But when I was in my Dep meeting, there was a guy who just finished C school and he said quote "The schooling is really long, the only other job that may have longer schooling than us is the nuke kids and maybe a few others"

But he also had to wait like 6 months before he went to C School. So he just did some assistant teaching kind of stuff at Great Lakes. Overall.. after bootcamp.. it took him about a 1 - 1 1/2 years to get to FC.
still.motivated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
calie89

Default **update**

I completed FC "A" on June 28, after arriving at TSC after bootcamp on November 21, 2012. This included a couple of weeks hold before I started ATT, Christmas stand down, and a week hold between ATT and A school.

My class just picked orders last week, and I picked SPY 1B. My class starts mid October, and it will be 8-10 months. Other NEC's have shorter, mine is one of the longer ones.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
shamablama

shamablama is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have the current school lengths for this program? I am leaving on February 18th for AECF… originally I was leaving March 25th for AC, but I wanted the earlier ship date, and both ratings sounded awesome to me. Also, do you actually get to choose your rate or does the Navy assign that to you?
shamablama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
calie89

As of right now, both of my posts from above are still current, when referring to average time in school (for an FC) I spent a little over a year in Great Lakes (including 7 weeks of boot) I will spend about 8-10 months in C school. Time in C school varies greatly based on which NEC you choose.

As for picking ET vs. FC, you do not pick. You get assigned either one during bootcamp, and will find out which towards the end of boot.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
shamablama

shamablama is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks
shamablama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Rogers784

Rogers784 is on a distinguished road

The info above was off a bit for FC's

ATT=9weeks
A School= I started mid-late November of 2013 and my class graduates on
04APR14 so its not all that long.
Rogers784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #22
Bahrke

Bahrke is on a distinguished road
Default My experience

Whats up guys, Haven't been on for awhile. Thought I'd I'd stop by to throw in my 2 cents on the AECF training pipeline. I left for bootcamp 11Dec12 , graduated 08Feb14 ( Year ago today ) .. Once I crossed the street to Great Lakes I had to wait almost 2 months before I even started ATT. This was really common at that point in time.. ATT was just about 10 weeks for us. I'll say it now FOCUS on what you are learning. It's crucial to understanding your job as a whole and passing advancement tests. After ATT I waited a week and started A-School that lasted I believe around 11 weeks. I graduated around the 25th of September 2013. I was then put on the usual hold before C-School for all FC's for 3.5 months, and reported to Dahlgren, Virginia on 06Jan14 and started class for FCS/400Hz on 13Jan14. I am set to graduate 11Jul14 .. Good part is I get to take the E5 exam in March.. without my Aegis NEC .. (Better quota). Hope this helped! Got any questions about the rate, Great Lakes, anything at all please e-mail me at cody.bahrke@gmail.com!

FC3 Bahrke
Bahrke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
Gage

Gage is on a distinguished road

A lot of misleading information.

I'm currently going through A school as an FC right now.

ATT=10 weeks for FC's, 11 weeks for ET's.
A school= 15 Weeks for FC's, ets is 19 weeks. we basically go through the same A school except FC's do not do the comms portion.

Good luck on your venture.

Last edited by Gage; 07-24-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
A lot of misleading information.

I'm currently going through A school as an FC right now.

ATT=10 weeks for FC's, 11 weeks for ET's.
A school= 15 Weeks for FC's, not sure for ET's but it's relatively similar, we basically go through the same A school except they don't do the radar portion of A school.

Good luck on your ventures. But seriously, if i had to go through 19 weeks of ATT i might have committed suicide. Rather go undes than be at that school house.
Why wouldn't ET's do radar portion?
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #25
USNavyFrank

USNavyFrank is on a distinguished road

It's so confusing how these numbers vary so greatly between sources. I guess I'll just find out when I get there, then I can share my own experience on this thread. I'll graduate boot camp in early November. Looking forward to contributing and SO EXCITED to be AECF!

RATE: AECF
DEP: 20140709
SHIP: 20140904
USNavyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
cgreene89

cgreene89 is on a distinguished road

talked to a girl at my recruiters office who is on hold for C school as an FC. She said that A school for the FC is 15 weeks. ET A school is 19 weeks. And the ATT school is about 10 weeks for each rating.
cgreene89 is offline   Reply With Quote