NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Mazing

Mazing is on a distinguished road
Default Getting stationed on Shore as AECF

Hey everyone, I am a AECF rate leaving on april 10th for bootcamp. I've been reading through the forums learning a lot about my rate and bootcamp but one thing I'm still curious about is how can I get stationed on shore. I really really don't want to get stationed on a ship because I rather get BAH and have my own home. I'm not married and I'm going in as an E3 since I have 50 college credits. Anyways all I want is to get stationed on shore and is there anyway I can increase my chances?

Also my mother is disabled and someone told me I could put her as a dependent, but I don't know what that would do or how it would effect me.
Mazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Umm... If you don't want to be on a ship, why did you join the Navy?

It is possible to get patents listed as dependents, but it is not an easy process.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Umm... If you don't want to be on a ship, why did you join the Navy?

It is possible to get patents listed as dependents, but it is not an easy process.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazing View Post
Hey everyone, I am a AECF rate leaving on april 10th for bootcamp. I've been reading through the forums learning a lot about my rate and bootcamp but one thing I'm still curious about is how can I get stationed on shore. I really really don't want to get stationed on a ship because I rather get BAH and have my own home. I'm not married and I'm going in as an E3 since I have 50 college credits. Anyways all I want is to get stationed on shore and is there anyway I can increase my chances?

Also my mother is disabled and someone told me I could put her as a dependent, but I don't know what that would do or how it would effect me.
You have practically no chance of getting shore duty. Some ETs get shore duty but its rare. FC's won't. Plus you won't get BAH until your E5. Shore or sea. I'm not sure why you'd join the navy if you don't want to be on a ship.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

There are some FCs who get shore duty straight from A school. They get shore duty to one of the training commands for FCs, and complete C school during the 2 years they are on shore duty, then spend the rest of their time in maintenance (at least thats what they do here in Dahlgren)

However, just last week it was put out at our command that some of the people who got those shore duty orders would be sent to a ship after they completed school anyways.

The whole getting shore duty from A school (for FCs) started about a year ago, and it comes and goes, just depends on needs of the navy. It may very well be gone by the time you comp A school.

And as said before, BAH before E5 won't happen whether ship or shore (unless you have a dependent)
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
LT Guppy

Also, you do understand that sea duty doesn't mean that you are at sea the entire 3-5 years, right?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I'm glad you mention that Guppy, what are some of the other things you do during sea duty? I would love an answer from Prop but he hasn't been on in a while..
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
LT Guppy

I mean, you'll be assigned to a ship, but they are in port for months at a time. In port, you'll be doing maintenance, training, preparing for inspections, and inspections.
Each ship had a life cycle (roughly two years long depending on the type of ship) where you're doing maintenance/upgrades, then inspections to qualify for deployment, work ups preparing for deployment, and then finally deployment.
While a ship is in homeport, it will get underway (go to sea) periodically for a couple weeks at a time.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
LT Guppy

I mean, you'll be assigned to a ship, but they are in port for months at a time. In port, you'll be doing maintenance, training, preparing for inspections, and inspections.
Each ship had a life cycle (roughly two years long depending on the type of ship) where you're doing maintenance/upgrades, then inspections to qualify for deployment, work ups preparing for deployment, and then finally deployment.
While a ship is in homeport, it will get underway (go to sea) periodically for a couple weeks at a time.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
bellhead

bellhead is on a distinguished road

In my ET class we had 81 sets of orders for us, 22 where for shore duty with 10 for conus and 12 overseas, 6 of these where for embassy duty, 2 in London. We got to pick according to your grade in school, I picked 9th overall and went to Spain for shore duty. We had 7 FFG pipeline school orders which were 38 weeks at that time, those went quick ET's love school. Carriers went last.

Also if you can get it take a precomm.
bellhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Tavak

Tavak is on a distinguished road

@ OP-> You're leaving the day after me! And we have the same rate. Where are you leaving from? I'm out of Atlanta.

Everyone else pretty much covered it. My next door neighbor happens to be a retired Master Chief and he said this is a sea going program.
Tavak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calie89 View Post

And as said before, BAH before E5 won't happen whether ship or shore (unless you have a dependent)
Or an E4 over 4.

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxCTM View Post
Or an E4 over 4.
E4 over 4 went away.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...2/NAV12072.txt