NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
shamablama

shamablama is on a distinguished road
Default Moving dependents during school?

I saw someone say that you can move your spouse with you if your school is at least 6 months long, is that true with the AECF program? Even though there's multiple schools you have to go to that are all different lengths?
shamablama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamablama View Post
I saw someone say that you can move your spouse with you if your school is at least 6 months long, is that true with the AECF program? Even though there's multiple schools you have to go to that are all different lengths?
AECF you can move your dependents to Great Lakes after you get out of boot camp.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
notcoreyclark

notcoreyclark is on a distinguished road

Any idea how long the live ashore chit takes to get approved? I heard up to two months. And when do you apply? I am going in as AECF as well.

Ship 15jul14 AECF
Div 284 pir 12sep14

ETSA Clark
notcoreyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

It really depends on how fast you get your stuff done. You cannot do anything until you get to TSC side of Great Lakes. Once you do, you will have to finish your basic watch standing quals to be bumped up to phase 2. Depending on the barracks that you are in, it could take a few days up to a couple weeks. (Although I have seen some people take months to get it done) But, on average, 1-2 weeks is normal if you are proactive.

Once you get phased up, then you can route the chit to request to fill out a live ashore package. Then, once you get that back (again, this depends on your barracks and chain of command, just keep checking on it) you can fill out the live ashore chit. You will fill it out with the PLR at the ATT schoolhouse, who will help you with getting all of the information you need, and connect you with the military housing office (if you need it), along with helping you fill out the paperwork to set up the move, and anything else you need. They can also arrange transportation to any of these offices if you need it.

Once that is done, you turn in the whole thing into your barracks to route it up to the OIC. Once you get that back, you are done!

I know it seems like a lot, but the timing depends on you (mostly). I got mine done in 2 1/2 weeks, but I know people who took a couple of months. Just get your side of it done as quickly as possible, and keep checking on your chit to keep it moving along.

Keep in mind, I left Great Lakes in October, so I was going through this about a year ago. I am pretty sure it is still done the same way, if not, it will probably be very similar.

Hope this helps!
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
notcoreyclark

notcoreyclark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calie89 View Post
It really depends on how fast you get your stuff done. You cannot do anything until you get to TSC side of Great Lakes. Once you do, you will have to finish your basic watch standing quals to be bumped up to phase 2. Depending on the barracks that you are in, it could take a few days up to a couple weeks. (Although I have seen some people take months to get it done) But, on average, 1-2 weeks is normal if you are proactive.

Once you get phased up, then you can route the chit to request to fill out a live ashore package. Then, once you get that back (again, this depends on your barracks and chain of command, just keep checking on it) you can fill out the live ashore chit. You will fill it out with the PLR at the ATT schoolhouse, who will help you with getting all of the information you need, and connect you with the military housing office (if you need it), along with helping you fill out the paperwork to set up the move, and anything else you need. They can also arrange transportation to any of these offices if you need it.

Once that is done, you turn in the whole thing into your barracks to route it up to the OIC. Once you get that back, you are done!

I know it seems like a lot, but the timing depends on you (mostly). I got mine done in 2 1/2 weeks, but I know people who took a couple of months. Just get your side of it done as quickly as possible, and keep checking on your chit to keep it moving along.

Keep in mind, I left Great Lakes in October, so I was going through this about a year ago. I am pretty sure it is still done the same way, if not, it will probably be very similar.

Hope this helps!
Thanks super helpful!

Ship 15jul14 AECF
Div 284 pir 12sep14

ETSA Clark
notcoreyclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aecf, dependents, family, move, school