NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
notcoreyclark

notcoreyclark is on a distinguished road
Default A school for AECF

I was wondering if anyone has experience with AECF "A" school. What does the "average" day look like? Tips/suggestions on mental prep etc.
notcoreyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

**All of my experience is on the FC side of things. ETs were on a different barracks/on a different schedule from us, so I never really spent much time with any**

You will start in ATT for a few months, learning basic electronics. ATT is on a day schedule, 0700-1600.

Then, you will go on the A school. ET's will be on a night schedule starting in January, from 1600-2300. FC's will start day schedule in Jan as well. Right now, FCs are on nights and ETs on days.

ATT is all computer based. Training modules, and computer led "labs" with the instructor there to guide you through and make sure you are on schedule.

A school is mostly computer based training, with more instructor input. You have a lecture for every module. As an FC, we had 4 labs, which were each a few days long.

As for preparing, you really don't need to. They will tell you everything you need to know. The only thing you could do is look up some of the NEETS modules for basic electronics to help get an intro for ATT. But, like I said, they will tell you everything. You time would probably be better spent preparing for bootcamp knowledge (CoC, general orders, rank and recognition, etc) and preparing for PT, and try to get that outstanding on every PRT.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
D.Brothers

D.Brothers is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
notcoreyclark

notcoreyclark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calie89 View Post
**All of my experience is on the FC side of things. ETs were on a different barracks/on a different schedule from us, so I never really spent much time with any**

You will start in ATT for a few months, learning basic electronics. ATT is on a day schedule, 0700-1600.

Then, you will go on the A school. ET's will be on a night schedule starting in January, from 1600-2300. FC's will start day schedule in Jan as well. Right now, FCs are on nights and ETs on days.

ATT is all computer based. Training modules, and computer led "labs" with the instructor there to guide you through and make sure you are on schedule.

A school is mostly computer based training, with more instructor input. You have a lecture for every module. As an FC, we had 4 labs, which were each a few days long.

As for preparing, you really don't need to. They will tell you everything you need to know. The only thing you could do is look up some of the NEETS modules for basic electronics to help get an intro for ATT. But, like I said, they will tell you everything. You time would probably be better spent preparing for bootcamp knowledge (CoC, general orders, rank and recognition, etc) and preparing for PT, and try to get that outstanding on every PRT.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
notcoreyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. That's my boyfriend's rate and he has been in basic for about two weeks. Do you know when they find out if they are an ET or a FC? Another question I hear people saying choosing NECs, what exactly is that?
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

NECs are specialities within a rate.
They require additional schools. And can be obtained throughout a sailors career.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
calie89

We found out whether we were FC or ET a few days before graduation, when we got into BUPERS to look at our orders. A lot of people get to find out sooner, but I only had 6 weeks of actual boot camp, and we found out in week 5, right before our final PRT and test 3.

And as said above, NECs are specialties. As for FC, we all get a C school, so we all acquire an NEC right after A school (not sure about ETs, a lot of times they have multiple, shorter C schools) Some examples of FC NECs are SPY, FCS, Tomahawk, CIWS, etc.

FCs pick their NECs while in A school, or soon after. ETs get assigned through a dream sheet. At least, this is the way it is right now, it can change though.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
DoubleY82

DoubleY82 is on a distinguished road
Default Dorm Life

My concern is about the barracks, the sleeping arrangements you have a roommate who is similar to your age or is just random?

Cheers
DoubleY82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It's random.
It's something you'll just have to get used to. On the ship, you'll live in a berthing compartment with 10-50 other sailors.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified

Last edited by LT Guppy; 12-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
calie89

While in A school, you will live in a 4 person room. It will be on large room, 2 sets of beds, 4 desks and 4 closets. You will also have a vanity with 2 sinks, and a head to share with those 3 other people. Plus a kitchen table, mini fridge, microwave and a sink with a little counter space. They are pretty nice compared to some of the other barracks on base

Once you graduate, and move on to C school, it will vary based on what C school you choose.

Overall, it is not too bad, and you get used to it. If you have a problem with your roommate, (especially with cleaning) just talk to them. Don't let things fester, and be willing to communicate and compromise.

As a married person, I lived off base, but was still responsible for a rack and a room for my duty days. I ended up being responsible for cleaning a room I didn't live in. But it was a bit cleaner than others rooms, with one less person living there!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
DoubleY82

DoubleY82 is on a distinguished road

Bummer, it's because I am 31 and having roommates that are a few years younger then me properly will be quite unpleasant. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

When we enter A school, will we be told if we go to ET or FC or is that after A school?
DoubleY82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleY82 View Post
Bummer, it's because I am 31 and having roommates that are a few years younger then me properly will be quite unpleasant. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

When we enter A school, will we be told if we go to ET or FC or is that after A school?
You'll find out towards the end of boot camp if it's ET or FC.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
TYWong

TYWong is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update: ET's will no longer have dream sheets, we pick our orders based on GPA now.
TYWong is offline   Reply With Quote