NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
06Grubn

06Grubn is on a distinguished road
Default Navy Reserve IT

Greetings folks! First post on this site for me. I'm a depper for the Navy Reserve as an IT rating. I fully understand what the Reserve component entails after training. I just want to get that out of the way to avoid the "it's nothing like active duty" stuff. I get that. My biggest question is in regards to if I get called to active service at some point (deployed). The job classifier told me that 99% of Reservist's do not go to a ship when deployed. He meant any Reservist also, not just my rating. I had hard time grasping that this could be the case.

So basically I'm just looking for Reservist's to describe their AT opportunities, deployment opportunities, and overall experiences in the Reserves. If you're experienced in the Reserve IT rating, that would be even better. I spoke with a retired E9 who did 8 active, and 18 Reserves. He seemed to indicate that my job was a good one, and I would have lots of opportunities aboard / ashore both in my 6 years. Any additional input is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

-Nick
06Grubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Grubn View Post
Greetings folks! First post on this site for me. I'm a depper for the Navy Reserve as an IT rating. I fully understand what the Reserve component entails after training. I just want to get that out of the way to avoid the "it's nothing like active duty" stuff. I get that. My biggest question is in regards to if I get called to active service at some point (deployed). The job classifier told me that 99% of Reservist's do not go to a ship when deployed. He meant any Reservist also, not just my rating. I had hard time grasping that this could be the case.

So basically I'm just looking for Reservist's to describe their AT opportunities, deployment opportunities, and overall experiences in the Reserves. If you're experienced in the Reserve IT rating, that would be even better. I spoke with a retired E9 who did 8 active, and 18 Reserves. He seemed to indicate that my job was a good one, and I would have lots of opportunities aboard / ashore both in my 6 years. Any additional input is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

-Nick

I wasn't a reservist, but I worked with a few during their 2 week vacation at my command in Hawaii.. They didn't do anything really .. just hung out, did paperwork, hung out, drank, went sightseeing, and basically was on vacation

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
06Grubn

Well that does sound unfortunate for active sailors to see. I don't want to jump the gun, but I do plan to absorb all I can out of it. So hopefully I won't be one of "those guys". Hard to say until you actually get there though. I'm 24, and already slightly more mature than most of the guys I've met going in. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to be looked down on as a lesser as it is, so I fully intend to try to earn the respect of anybody I work with worth earning. In short, a "squared away" Reservist if possible. I'm not doing it for handouts, that's for sure. Your response is appreciated however!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

I am going in Reserve too and from what I have been told is that you don't really have an option if you keep working or not. i am like you and want to get the most out of my time and hopefully get FTS.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
06Grubn

Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't actually mean as if you could just say "I'm done today", and go out to see the sights instead of learning and working. I just meant I intend to absorb what I can when I am working. I want to know my job just like the active guys. Reserve units out there do exist where they are just as capable. I always remember the story about a Marine Corp artillery battery from a Reserve unit out of my state. In the Battle of Fallujah they were later nicknamed "Sniper Battery Mike". They were the most dialed in battery in the entire battle. So there is some hope for Reservist who aspire to do their job well. Now I'm not saying being an IT is like being field artillery. I'm just using that as an example. I want to be "dialed in" so nobody can question my abilities at my job, and then blame it on being a Reservist.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Grubn View Post
Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't actually mean as if you could just say "I'm done today", and go out to see the sights instead of learning and working. I just meant I intend to absorb what I can when I am working. I want to know my job just like the active guys. Reserve units out there do exist where they are just as capable. I always remember the story about a Marine Corp artillery battery from a Reserve unit out of my state. In the Battle of Fallujah they were later nicknamed "Sniper Battery Mike". They were the most dialed in battery in the entire battle. So there is some hope for Reservist who aspire to do their job well. Now I'm not saying being an IT is like being field artillery. I'm just using that as an example. I want to be "dialed in" so nobody can question my abilities at my job, and then blame it on being a Reservist.
Well just remember.. a reservist will be put into a position in a new command where they can be utilized. You most likely won't put a reservist you know nothing about, with who knows what kind of training, manning some equipment that lives or ships depend on. You might get training on it at some point, but chances are you are going to be doing more menial tasks that aren't overly complex.. because it requires less "babysitting" and training.. what I would do if I was you, when you do get sent on your 2 weeks vacation and get assigned to a division.. ASK for training, to be out in the floor in the middle of the work.. show them that you are motivated and there to do some real work.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote