NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
bbrandon92

bbrandon92 is on a distinguished road
Default E-2 out of bootcamp?

Is this true? My info sheet says so but theres nothing in my contract saying that. Whats the deal with the rank ups during aecf training, it also says il be E-4 once im finished with C school. Anyone know?

Last edited by bbrandon92; 05-03-2012 at 06:24 PM.
bbrandon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Generall if it is NOT on your contract, dont count on it. Most A schools have an auto promote to the next level..(not all!) And if you meant "C" school, not see school, it generally means it is a fast track program with some automatic promotes....I personally am not super familiar with aecf training.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
bbrandon92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Generall if it is NOT on your contract, dont count on it. Most A schools have an auto promote to the next level..(not all!) And if you meant "C" school, not see school, it generally means it is a fast track program with some automatic promotes....I personally am not super familiar with aecf training.
Thanks for the C school correction, I really have absolutly no IDEA why I would have typed the word see. I feel dumb lol
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandon92 View Post
Is this true? My info sheet says so but theres nothing in my contract saying that. Whats the deal with the rank ups during aecf training, it also says il be E-4 once im finished with C school. Anyone know?
You will get E2 out of bootcamp unless you come in as at least an E2. After A school you should be an E3. Most likely you'll have to wait till you get to your command after C school to get frocked to E4. Most C schools don't frock anymore.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Here is the rule:

010204. TERM OF ENLISTMENT. Applicants will enlist for four years and concurrently
execute an agreement to extend their enlistment for 24 months.

Specific narrative reason for extension is:
“Training in the Advanced Electronic Field (AEF)/Advanced Technical Field (ATF)
Program and advancement to paygrade E4 per MILPERSMAN Articles 1160-040
and 1510-030. I understand that this extension becomes binding upon execution
and thereafter may not be cancelled except as set forth in MILPERSMAN Article
1160-040. In particular, I understand that when I accept advancement to E4, 12
months of this agreement may not be cancelled whether or not I complete advanced
training. This is my first enlistment.
Total aggregate of extension: 24 months.”

010205. GENERAL APPRENTICESHIP AND PAYGRADE
a. Entry Paygrade. All applicants are enlisted in paygrade E1 and are authorized
advancement to E2 upon completion of recruit training.
Advancement to E3 is
authorized only after personnel complete all advancement in rate requirements and
time in grade requirements. This does not preclude enlistment in paygrade E2 or E3
under Volume IV, Chapter 3, Section 7.
b. Advancement. Advancement to E4 is authorized only after completion of all
advancement in rate requirements, time in grade requirements, and Class “A” School.
In addition, advancement to E3 and E4 is contingent upon maintaining AEF/ATF Program
eligibility. If an individual is reduced in rate because of disciplinary infractions prior or
subsequent to advancement to E4 eligibility for E4 is terminated. Advancement to E4
requires a five-year active duty obligation as set forth in MILPERSMAN 1430-010.

If an individual is reduced in rate subsequent to advancement to paygrade E4 there is
no reduction in active obligated service.
c. Conditions. Disenrollment from the program due to non-volunteering is not
authorized. Cancellation of enlistment extension due to disenrollment from or
nonenrollment in advanced training is per MILPERSMAN Article 1160-040.

Applicants must be specifically counseled that:
(1) If automatic advancement to E4 has been accepted one year of the extension
is binding whether or not advanced training is completed.
(2) Current paygrade is retained and the extension agreement is cancelled if the
individual quits or is found undesirable for program continuation, automatic advancement
has not been accepted, and advanced training has not begun.
(3) If the individual quits and advancement to E4 has not been accepted, but
advanced training has begun, the member is required to repay three months additional
obligated service (beyond the four-year point) for each month of advanced training
received up to a maximum of two additional years obligated service.
(4) If a member completes all advanced training and advancement to E4 was not
accepted the two-year extension remains effective due to completion of the advanced training.
(5) The member has a choice whether to accept E4. If E4 is accepted the individual
is bound for five of the six years however, regardless of E4 acceptance, the Chief of Naval
Personnel decides whether to order the individual to advanced training.

This decision is based on the probability of successfully completing the advanced training and
does take the member’s motivation and Class “A” School performance into account. Members
who are qualified for advanced training are ordered based on their qualifications and not on
their decision regarding advancement to E4.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

To my knowledge (looks like craig has the official version) you will get E2 upon reporting to A School (from the guys I knew who are AECF). For automatic advancement beyond that, it isn't totally automatic. You need to pass all of your schooling sufficiently, have a good eval at the end of training (ie, no LOI's or Disciplinary/academic boards), not have gone to NJP or courts martial at all, and you must pass your PFA both to graduate boot camp and the next official one you take. The next official PFA is the most common reason for being denied automatic advancement.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
bbrandon92

Im confused, everyone keeps saying A school, don't we report to tech school first? or is that the same thing?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
prop827

Each rate is different, the vast majority start with A school then any technical (or C Schools) come later. Your rate may be different, I don't know much about AECF, but I do know about the auto advancement rules.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
To my knowledge (looks like craig has the official version) you will get E2 upon reporting to A School (from the guys I knew who are AECF). For automatic advancement beyond that, it isn't totally automatic. You need to pass all of your schooling sufficiently, have a good eval at the end of training (ie, no LOI's or Disciplinary/academic boards), not have gone to NJP or courts martial at all, and you must pass your PFA both to graduate boot camp and the next official one you take. The next official PFA is the most common reason for being denied automatic advancement.
This is not correct. You do not need to pass a PFA prior to getting frocked. You also do not get an eval during A or C school unless your C school is a specific time and that's only to take the advancement exam. You will go to ATT first, then A school then C school.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
bbrandon92

Quote:
Each rate is different, the vast majority start with A school then any technical (or C Schools) come later. Your rate may be different, I don't know much about AECF, but I do know about the auto advancement rules.
idk my fact sheet says ATT school, A school, then C school
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

What you guys need to realize is that when you graduate boot camp, most likely you will not be wearing the e-2 stripe. You will get it within the 1st two weeks when you get to your "A" school. And yes, they will back pay you from the time you graduate boot camp. So don't worry about it, it's just a paperwork drill, you will get it....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

I'm going into boot camp as a E-1 i've finished my start guide packet and will hopefully make E-2 when i pass the test during p-days and then the prt test now whats the best ways to make E-3 while in boot camp after getting the E-2
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
bbrandon92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be ABE View Post
I'm going into boot camp as a E-1 i've finished my start guide packet and will hopefully make E-2 when i pass the test during p-days and then the prt test now whats the best ways to make E-3 while in boot camp after getting the E-2
I was told you can only rank up once while in bootcamp
Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Soon to be ABE

Soon to be ABE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandon92 View Post
I was told you can only rank up once while in bootcamp
you can rank up twice in boot camp up to the rank of E-3 nobody can graduate boot camp higher than that, i've seen people go in as a E-1 and come out as a E-3 my best friend did it
Soon to be ABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Isn't ATT school our "A" School (for us AECF's)? The way I'm reading the fact sheet it seems that ATT is 9 weeks, the there is the FC Strand at 12 weeks and ET Strand at 17 weeks. Do all AECF's go through both FC and ET Strands? I was under the impression that after ATT the class basically splits off and FC's go one way and ET's go the other.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
prop827

Again, I don't know the specifics of AECF, but for any automatic advancement you DO need to pass your PFA. That's why if you're in a program that has auto E4, they often call the official PFA the "dash for cash". Also, frocking is only for first classes and chiefs, until then you will not be frocked (in so far as automatic promotion is concerned). With auto advancement you get your crows pinned on and you get E4 pay almost immediately. When you're frocked, you wear the anchor or crow but you don't get paid for around 6 months from the time you are frocked.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
kforbs126

Quote:
Again, I don't know the specifics of AECF, but for any automatic advancement you DO need to pass your PFA. That's why if you're in a program that has auto E4, they often call the official PFA the "dash for cash". Also, frocking is only for first classes and chiefs, until then you will not be frocked (in so far as automatic promotion is concerned). With auto advancement you get your crows pinned on and you get E4 pay almost immediately. When you're frocked, you wear the anchor or crow but you don't get paid for around 6 months from the time you are frocked.
Well that's news to me because I definitely did not have to pass a PFA to be auto advanced and I did mine a week after I graduated A school. All the E3's that come to my ship have not had to pass a PFA to be advanced to E4 (FC's, ET's and IC's). Frocking actually is E4 to probably Master Chief. When you get frocked depending on what percentile you advanced is when you get paid. If your one of the last ones advanced expect to not get paid for at least 6 months.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laworlo View Post
Isn't ATT school our "A" School (for us AECF's)? The way I'm reading the fact sheet it seems that ATT is 9 weeks, the there is the FC Strand at 12 weeks and ET Strand at 17 weeks. Do all AECF's go through both FC and ET Strands? I was under the impression that after ATT the class basically splits off and FC's go one way and ET's go the other.
No FCs and ETs are different. You will know before you leave bootcamp which rate you will actually have. Btw if they said you could pick... you cant sorry. I was stoked to be an ET and got FC. ASVAB has nothing to do with it. But, as far as school both go to the same school and do the same thing until i believe MOD 30 or so. Then the ETs do a little more with radar which is why their school might be longer. Same when you go to A school. FCs go during the day and ETs go during night.
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Laworlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAtomS View Post
No FCs and ETs are different. You will know before you leave bootcamp which rate you will actually have. Btw if they said you could pick... you cant sorry. I was stoked to be an ET and got FC. ASVAB has nothing to do with it. But, as far as school both go to the same school and do the same thing until i believe MOD 30 or so. Then the ETs do a little more with radar which is why their school might be longer. Same when you go to A school. FCs go during the day and ETs go during night.
So then is the 9 week ATT school our "A" School and the either FC or ET strands are our "C" schools?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

No, ATT is just like a pre requisite to get to "A" school. So it goes ATT then 'A' school, which is rate specific, then 'C' school which isnt going to be at Great Lakes unless youre an IC. But as far as ET or FC you'll be going to most likely either San Diego or Virginia for C school
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Laworlo

Oh okay. Good to get that cleared up. Do you know if there is a fact sheet out there that shows this AECF Pipeline? I asked my recruiter and he said he doesn't have one.