NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Advanced Electronics Computer Field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
bbrandon92

bbrandon92 is on a distinguished road
Default Where will I end up?

Im in AECF and im worried that if I end up ET that they may just throw me in an office somewhere fixing copy machines or something dumb like that. I really want to be out to the fleet. Whats the chance I will get stuck shoreside? Or do I have a say? I would imagine there would be enough volunteers of people who want to stay on land.
bbrandon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Well... look at it this way. You may end up fixing copy machines on a carrier ^.^
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Dont feel bad, I have a friend that is an ET, when he first started he ended up getting coffee for the marines in Iraq! Now he fixes office equipment on a carrier on Admiral Staff..yes, he hates it! And he has been in 20 years this June!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
bbrandon92

bbrandon92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Dont feel bad, I have a friend that is an ET, when he first started he ended up getting coffee for the marines in Iraq! Now he fixes office equipment on a carrier on Admiral Staff..yes, he hates it! And he has been in 20 years this June!
well I already have intentions on re-enlisting, probably making a 20 year career out of it. But if that happens to me il be out the second my contract is up.
bbrandon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

The Navy sends you where they need you, be it shore duty or a carrier. Generally, your first tour will be sea duty then shore duty, but not always. If you really want to have the best chance at a say in it, you need to do well in your A and C schools. The highest GPA usually picks their orders then next highest and so on; if you're in the middle (and definitely in the rear) you probably won't get too much say in orders. One way or another though, you're an ET, you'll be fixing and doing preventative maintenance on electronics like copy machines, somewhere.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
The Navy sends you where they need you, be it shore duty or a carrier. Generally, your first tour will be sea duty then shore duty, but not always. If you really want to have the best chance at a say in it, you need to do well in your A and C schools. The highest GPA usually picks their orders then next highest and so on; if you're in the middle (and definitely in the rear) you probably won't get too much say in orders. One way or another though, you're an ET, you'll be fixing and doing preventative maintenance on electronics like copy machines, somewhere.
That's not true at all for ET's. Orders are given out needs of the Navy. You'll get a dream sheet to put location, ship type, school, etc. I've seen the people with the lowest GPA's get IFF school which is the hardest ET C school. And the smartest ones get crap C schools. It all depends on the detailer. I was lucky the detailer we had gave everyone location they wanted.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrandon92 View Post
Im in AECF and im worried that if I end up ET that they may just throw me in an office somewhere fixing copy machines or something dumb like that. I really want to be out to the fleet. Whats the chance I will get stuck shoreside? Or do I have a say? I would imagine there would be enough volunteers of people who want to stay on land.
Most likely you'll go to a ship but there are plenty of chances of pulling shore duty out of A school. I had an entire class that graduated a few weeks before me all get shore duty to Guam. Special CNO orders that had to be filled asap. You have no say in orders other than filling out a dream sheet and hoping you may get what you want.

Though you really need to get rid of that "I don't want to fix copy machines etc" because you'll end up working on a lot of equipment you don't want to fix and that kind of attitude won't bode well with senior ETs and especially Chiefs.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

My friend that is an ET, his first duty was in Iraq, was "suppose" to be putting in all the electronic communications, but ended up mostly getting coffee for the Marines stationed at that post and fixing all the stuff they broke. He was also an instructor for "C" school for another duty, a recruiter for another, a ship earlier, and in his final tour is with Admiral Staff fixing their office stuff on a carrier in VA. You may get a "dream sheet", but sometimes you make the choices by the location(where in this world do you want to be) not the job/ship/shore.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

If your smart you'd tell your instructors that your family works on "ground terminals" and you'd like to get into that area too. Ground terminals are the 85 foot dishes that collect the satellite payloads. You can't put those dishes on ships (well there is 2 you can). Thus you will get a shore billet.

You want this NEC

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
NAtomS

NAtomS is on a distinguished road

Dont worry ETs arent THAT bad. Me being a FC or course im a little bias, but ETs still have some cool things you can do. I have a friend that got accepted into Devgroup( i think that was the name) and he basically works with the Seals. He had to go to dive school and do all the things pre buds do. You can still go IA. ETs do have a higher probablity of getting shore duty but whether you get ET or FC im sure youll be happy.
NAtomS is offline   Reply With Quote