NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Lesh

Lesh is on a distinguished road
Default Bachelor of Science in Nursing = Conflict of Interest?

A little background- I hold a bachelor's in nursing, and I am enlisting with the intention of going special warfare.

Should that not pan out, my contingency is HM (FMF, SARC, SOCM, what have you, I would like to serve at the front).

**I do fully understand that RN =/= HM and its corresponding implications**

But in talking with my recruiter yesterday, he told me that HM would not be available to me due to a conflict of interest (his words) and didn't really/was unable to elaborate any further. Is there any truth to this?

Just figured I'd verify this before accepting it as fact.

Thanks all.
Lesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

So you have your RN? Just understand that an HM is basically just a CNA... If you are already an RN, you "could" possibly go officer...

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I'm not sure if this is what your recruiter mean, but there's no such thing as a "contingency" rating. If you earn a spec ops contract, you're spec ops. If you later wash out of training, the Navy will find you a new rating based on what's available at that time and no sooner.

There are "placeholder" ratings i.e. sign for this until you qualify for x, but once you qualify you lose the placeholder rating and it goes to someone else. You never have more than one at a time.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Lesh

Lesh is on a distinguished road

Swtmtn, yes I understand most HM NECs have CNA-natured jobs. But I'd be trying for a combat medic NEC (8403, 8404, 8427 for example).

Jzhaun, for sure, I'm aware of how DEP + warrior contracts work. I say contingency from the perspective of my dropping mid-pipeline. HM would be my first choice (of course it depends on the needs of the Navy).
Lesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I wouldn't get my hopes up on being able to pick up HM that way. I've seen a lot of A school drops and I actually work with a BUDS drop right now (he's a CTN), but I've never heard of HM being open to them. It's too popular of a rating, DEPpers take all the slots. I only ever hear of people crossrating out because promotion's so bad.

Ratings I have seen offered to drops: CTN, CTT, CTR, LS, OS, IT, MA, Seabee, Aviation, Undes, AETC etc, but it'll depend on quotas when it happens.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

I enlisted with a BSN. I also know 2 other guys who enlisted with BSNs but they're reservists.

I think your recruiter was probably steering you in an odd direction but regardless, you can still go for HM if you'd like. I was offered that when my recruiter's chief found out that I had a BSN. I didn't want to go in as an HM though. I also think it's whatever is available at the time offered and/or time of re-rate for drop-outs. I've met Nuke drop-outs and sub school drop-outs who got re-rated into many different jobs and most of them had to take whatever was available at the time. But as far as conflict of interest, I think it all depends on timing and what's open at the time. HM is generally manned or overmanned.

Good luck with your endeavors!
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

My husband worked for a Nurse Officer who was pulled out of Corps School and sent to OIS because he had a BSN. The issue is that as junior enlisted you'd be working with people who have the same credentials but greatly outrank you. In theory that can cause a degradation of respect and what not.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
My husband worked for a Nurse Officer who was pulled out of Corps School and sent to OIS because he had a BSN. The issue is that as junior enlisted you'd be working with people who have the same credentials but greatly outrank you. In theory that can cause a degradation of respect and what not.
What's OIS? I'm curious if they'll do something to me like that because I hold a BSN on active duty.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
gopacgo12

gopacgo12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
What's OIS? I'm curious if they'll do something to me like that because I hold a BSN on active duty.
I think it stands for officer indoctrination school
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Just4Kixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopacgo12 View Post
I think it stands for officer indoctrination school
I've always known it as OCS... or for other professionals, ODS.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
I've always known it as OCS... or for other professionals, ODS.
Pretty sure OIS went away when the commissioning programs moved to Rhode Island.
It's basically the same as ODS.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Pretty sure OIS went away when the commissioning programs moved to Rhode Island.
It's basically the same as ODS.
It is OdS now but it was still OIS when he went through it.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote