NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
trosetti

trosetti is on a distinguished road
Default MA Questions

I am working on enlisting into the Navy as an MA Rating because my future goal is to be a police officer and I can see this experience very valuable to add to my resume, From my understanding I have enough college credits to qualify me to enlist at an E-3 Pay Grade but still not enough to go in as an officer ( Which I am not to worried about) as long as I can get in as E-3. Here are my questions if someone can help
1. I have a daughter and a wife, if I was stationed oversees am I eligible to have my family come along?
2. Is it difficult to advance to an E-4 after Bootcamp?
3. What should I prepare for prior to enlisting?
4. What are some good questions to ask the Recruiter?
5. How is the MA rating, and what advancements exist in this rating?

Note: I have done a lot of research and have read a lot of other posts, it would be appreciated if these questions were answered?
trosetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Navy1013
**Active Duty**

Navy1013 will become famous soon enough

I can only help a little bit. But to answer what I know:

1. They can go with you, but enlisting for your first time and having a family you will not get oversea's orders.

2. If you go in as an E-3 you have to wait 6 months after training to try and advance.

3. What you need to prepare for prior is learning to wait and be patient. Having a family could be a lenthly process. It took me a while to enlist.

4. No question is a bad question, ask what you want to know and what would ease your mind to "sign the dotted line". Having a family, the military can offer more than a civilian job. Thats why I joined.

5. I have a friend that is an MA and he loves it, he was done a lot in his career. The advancements are the same as in any rate. But the numbers change every year of how many people will be advanced. Thats why you have to get great eval's and be the best at your job.

When you go to MEPS go with an open mind. Your recruiter cannot gaurentee MA or any job for that matter. But always remember you can chose a job at the start and once your in you can turn in a DAR requesting another job, such as MA (not gaurenteed either). If the DAR is not approved then you get in do the job you picked at MEPS for 2 years then transfer to whatever you want.
Hope this helps a little bit.
There is alot more knowledge on here than what I have so if I said anything wrong they will be able to correct me.
Good luck in your Journey to join the Navy
Navy1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Navyrhino88

Navyrhino88 is on a distinguished road

My info is similar to Navy1013.
I can help with 1 through 4 for the most part, but 5 is better suited for an active duty member here.
1. I answered somewhat in another thread you started. It depends on accompanied/unaccompanied orders and rate. E-3 and below with dependents are not eligible for OCONUS(overseas; including Hawaii) orders. It's possible to be sent there based on needs of the Navy, but command sponsorship would vary depending on type of orders. (Especially being an MA I've heard they need you guys everywhere.)
2. It depends. If you go in as an E-3 you still have to meet certain qualifications and TIR (time in rate) before you're eligible to advance. Idk for MA, but I know as an AV and most other ratings you have to finish A-school and be rated before your eligible to be considered for advancement. Advancement also depends on manning within your specific community. Meaning only so many E-4s, 5s, 6s and so on can be promoted or in rate at any given time. This info changes if in special programs like The Nuclear Field, Aircrew and so on.
3. If you haven't enlisted and been to MEPS yet I would first prepare myself for the ASVAB. I know you're enrolled in college, but you might want to refresh your memory on some of the content. Secondly look into other possible ratings/jobs the Navy has to offer. MEPS is so random with job selection that you could go down there and never get offered MA, but may get offered something you're just as interested in. You just want to go down with as much info on all the possibilities available to you. Plus, some, I mean some recruiters lose motivation when recruits are job locked. If the Navy is something your passionate about just consider all avenues. Another thing is to make sure all your legal affairs are in order. No random traffic tickets you forgot about, unborn kids and such lol. It's just going to make it hard as he'll for yourself. Also, coming from someone else that's married, talk to your wife and make sure she's 100% in and understands what it means to be a military spouse. This is just the beginning I'm sure some active duty members will chime in, but that's my 2 cents.
4. I asked my recruiter a lot about quality of life for my family and about benefits really. My wife's Uncle is a Gunnery Sgt. and he eased her mind about some of the concerns, but what you ask your recruiter is entirely based on YOUR concerns and reservations. Just don't get to MEPS and be content with verbal agreements when it comes to your contract. If someone, including your recruiter promises something, make sure it's written.
5. No clue one of the Active duty members may have some insight on whats going on within the fleet.
Navyrhino88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosetti View Post
I am working on enlisting into the Navy as an MA Rating because my future goal is to be a police officer and I can see this experience very valuable to add to my resume, From my understanding I have enough college credits to qualify me to enlist at an E-3 Pay Grade but still not enough to go in as an officer ( Which I am not to worried about) as long as I can get in as E-3. Here are my questions if someone can help
1. I have a daughter and a wife, if I was stationed oversees am I eligible to have my family come along?
2. Is it difficult to advance to an E-4 after Bootcamp?
3. What should I prepare for prior to enlisting?
4. What are some good questions to ask the Recruiter?
5. How is the MA rating, and what advancements exist in this rating?

Note: I have done a lot of research and have read a lot of other posts, it would be appreciated if these questions were answered?

1: As a new Sailor with dependents, you're probably getting sent state-side for your first tour.

2: MA has been traditional pretty hard to make rate in just due to the amount of people they brought in after 9/11. It's evened out now though; E-4 last cycle was about 35%, which is fantastic.

3: Make sure your PRT is within standards and you know all the basics that the recruiter is giving you (rank, structure, ect)

4: Could you be more specific?

5: MA's as a whole are a very shore-based rate. The vast majority perform security functions on-base, while very few are doing that on ships. The average MA will stand watch doing either gate-guard duty (checking IDs to get on base//close to the ships), pier sentry (making sure everything's safe on the pier), patrol the base in a marked police car, and some will do water-borne security in small patrol boats in the harbor.
Advancement opportunity I mentioned above. Right now the rate looks good for junior Sailors.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote