NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
mich313

mich313 is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Questions in One Thread

Hello friends! I don't know about where you guys are, but whether here in TN is FABULOUS today! Hope others are getting to enjoy some sunshine today too!!

I have a few questions about bootcamp and beyond. Right now I am within the healthy weight range, but I'm on the lower end of that range (62", 113 lbs). I run a few times a week, and I'm concerned that if I lose any weight, that I will be underweight and have some problems. I don't want to stop running, because I'm finally able to do the 1.5 in required time (today's time was 14:02!). Short of eating a few dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, any suggestions for maintaining weight without decreasing my workouts?

What is the longest distance we'll have to run at bootcamp? And is the expectation to maintain our 1.5 mile pace for a longer distance? I can run a 5K or more, but definitely not at the same pace!!

Lastly, I've memorized the creed, mission, maxim, general orders. I have a working familiarity with ranks and insignias, and I'm currently working on the rtc chain of command. Is there other things, besides pt, that I can do to prepare?

I don't ship until October, so I'm probably WAYYY ahead of myself on this stuff, but I just want to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible. Thanks for all insight/guidance!! It's so appreciated!!!
Ship Date 20141008
mich313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I was similar to you in size when I went to bootcamp (62.5~ 110), and I've managed to gain about 10 pounds of muscle (just from regular PT) and still wear the same clothes, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just make sure to eat enough to cover your level of activity.

The most you'll have to run in bootcamp isn't a distance, it's a time. You'll have sustained runs that gradually increase in length over the course of bootcamp - although RDCs have been known to get creative as far as stopping the clock for a bit etc. Probably about 30 minutes max. They don't care what pace you run it at as long as you don't start walking.

Ranks and recognition are good, you can also check out ships and aircraft and recruit handwriting takes a little practice to master. (This will save you time when stenciling all your belongings and probably get you put on watch more often - but watch isn't that bad, and it'll get you out of other things.) I wouldn't recommend trying to learn all the folding beforehand if only because different RDCs have slightly different instructions.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
mich313

Thanks jzhaun! I bring up the weight question because my recruiter showed a concern that it could potentially become an issue.

Glad to hear they're not gonna ask us to run any crazy distance on an indoor track! That would be so miserable!
Ship Date 20141008
Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
C00kiel00

C00kiel00 is on a distinguished road
Default Lower score looking for more

So I have a question regarding wether or not I should retest to better my scores to get the opportunity to pick a rate. I tested once in 2012 and now 2013 bettered that scored, but I was off by 2 points to get a score that would qualify me fore more opportunities and not have me labeled as a lower, because of my score I haven't had a rate to pick now since October when I had taken the test. I have already gone through the physical and passed, is it still possible to test again, to see if I can just raise it a little more?
C00kiel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

ASVAB retest policy requires a one-month wait between administration of the initial ASVAB and a retest. To retake the ASVAB a second time, another one-month wait is required. For any additional retests, a six-month wait is required between retests.

That comes from the asvab site.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00kiel00 View Post
So I have a question regarding wether or not I should retest to better my scores to get the opportunity to pick a rate. I tested once in 2012 and now 2013 bettered that scored, but I was off by 2 points to get a score that would qualify me fore more opportunities and not have me labeled as a lower, because of my score I haven't had a rate to pick now since October when I had taken the test. I have already gone through the physical and passed, is it still possible to test again, to see if I can just raise it a little more?
Whether or not you retest, that is up to you. But I do know that you have to wait 30 days to take it for a second time, like jzhaun stated.

But here is the catch, if you do retest and get a lower score the second time around that is the score that will be used to pick your rate. They go with the most recent score, not the highest score (this is what my recruiter told me). So that would be something to keep in mind.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
C00kiel00

C00kiel00 is on a distinguished road

I understand the wait I've done my research and asked everyone of my veteran family members my issue is do I have to do the physical again? As of April it will have been 6 months since I took the test, I want to go in ASAP but I don't want to get stuck as just a seaman, I wanted MC as my number one choice but my score wasn't good enough for it, so I decided between either Supply or administration. I know once you choose that's it. Cross rating isn't easy and you have to wait 2'yrs to do so and be an E4 and test to do so... I'm sure I can better, not worried about doing worse, worried I'd have to wait another 6 months... I need major advice on a plan before speaking to my recruiter. If I choose PACT because I want to leave, how can I get a rate into what I really want as a seaman if I HAVE to wait the two years?
C00kiel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

So wait . . . you want to go PACT, then get something from Supply or Admin then crossrate to MC? Or do you think that going PACT means you can't strike until 2 years in ? (because that isn't true)

If the former, that probably isn't going to work out for you. If you want MC, you need the line scores for it, there's no way to crossrate if you aren't even eligible. Take the test again. If you still aren't eligible, pick a different rate or find a different path besides the Navy. If you get the scores, but MC isn't eligible, either pick something else (and expect to keep it, not crossrate) or go PACT and try to strike for MC. Don't go PACT just to ship out faster, it isn't worth it, and it probably won't make much of a difference. No one's been shipping out fast recently unless they luck out with a DAR.

There's no guarantees here. Everything depends on the needs of the Navy.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00kiel00 View Post
I understand the wait I've done my research and asked everyone of my veteran family members my issue is do I have to do the physical again? As of April it will have been 6 months since I took the test, I want to go in ASAP but I don't want to get stuck as just a seaman, I wanted MC as my number one choice but my score wasn't good enough for it, so I decided between either Supply or administration. I know once you choose that's it. Cross rating isn't easy and you have to wait 2'yrs to do so and be an E4 and test to do so... I'm sure I can better, not worried about doing worse, worried I'd have to wait another 6 months... I need major advice on a plan before speaking to my recruiter. If I choose PACT because I want to leave, how can I get a rate into what I really want as a seaman if I HAVE to wait the two years?
If you really feel that you will do better the second time around then take the ASVAB again. But like I've told other people, keep your options open. Do some research and make a list of rates that you would like to have. It's good to have 5-10 rates that you're interested when you sit down with a job classifier, that's what I did.

Don't go undesignated just so you can leave faster. You will spend at least a few months in DEP any ways. If you don't get your first choice at a job then you could put in a DAR, but that isn't guaranteed.

And as far as cross rating later on down the line, that isn't a guarantee either.

I was offered PACT-seaman when I went to pick my rate and the job classifier tried to make it seem really glorified. I listened to what he had to say about going that route, thought about it, and realized it wasn't for me.

And I do not believe you will have to do the physical again.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
Chris300zx6

Chris300zx6 is on a distinguished road

I mean, have you thought about studying for it and getting tutoring if you need help in certain areas? Just be warned, if you score 20 percentile higher than your previous test then you will have to retake it AGAIN infront of miltary personal at meps.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Your medical is good for two years.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #12
mich313

Sad. Anybody else have any input/thoughts regarding the original questions asked?

-Weight maintaining/gaining tips while continuing to workout regularly
-Longest distance required to run at bootcamp/pace needed to maintain
-Preparation tips for boot (besides creed, mission, maxim, orders, ranks/insignias, RTC coc)

Thanks!
Ship Date 20141008
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich313 View Post
Anybody else have any input/thoughts regarding the original questions asked?

-Weight maintaining/gaining tips while continuing to workout regularly
I'm a fatty, so no... lots of Chipotle?
-Longest distance required to run at bootcamp/pace needed to maintain
Longest distance? 1.5 miles... longest time? 20 minutes sustained. They start at like 10min, and work it up as the weeks go by... as long as your don't walk, you'll be fine.
-Preparation tips for boot (besides creed, mission, maxim, orders, ranks/insignias, RTC coc)
That's pretty much it... just keep your mouth shut and follow instructions and you'll be fine. P-Days is uncomfortable... then you get into a routine.

Thanks!
Responses in red...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote