NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road
Default Bootcamp Medical Exams

Okay so I have looked on the other threads on here about p-days and medical exams and got mixed answers. Some people say that the medical exam is just filling out the same packet from MEPS and you dont even have to take any clothing off except for the PB shot. Just eyes ears stuff like that, with a dental exam included. Others say that they are going to strip you down and its much more in depth than the MEPS physical.

So my question is which one is it? Are they going to strip me down and check everything like what was done at MEPS trying to find any way to throw you out or if you pass MEPS do they just re-check somethings and call you FFD? Are they going to search for scars and check joints and get all crazy?

And one last question.... what happens the day you ship out and go for the follow-up physical at MEPS? Please don't tell me that I have to do everything over again....
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the physical at RTC since I haven't left yet so some one else can take that!

As for the MEPS physical I had to do a med inspect because it was 30 days after my initial visit and it was done at the same time/same way as the shippers. We were down to our underwear again and weighed then got called into the docs exam room to go over the question sheet again to see if anything changed and do a quick exam again. Also the drug test was done prior to them getting weighed before they shipped. This was all at Fort Lee MEPS so things could be different else where since a lot of other things seem to be!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

The in depth exam at boot is called "special physicals" and only select rates will actually do that, the rest will just fill out more paper work and that's about it. There's a few threads on here all about just special physicals, but if you aren't the right rate, you won't have to do it. When I went through the rates that required special physicals were Nuke, AIRR, SWCC, EOD, SEAL, ATC, and a couple submarine only rates.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Laworlo

Laworlo is on a distinguished road

Along those same lines, there are rumors about getting additional, rather painful, shots in private areas of the body. I can tell you there are no such things, so for piece of mind when you are at boot camp and you here about those shots, they are just rumors.
Laworlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

Just the peanut butter shot in the butt, the other "private" areas shots are an old wives tale meant just to mess with and scare recruits (I've also heard of them calling them square needles lol). Its all a big hoax, just like the saltpeter one you sometimes hear. By the way, would anyone happen to have 100' of centerline laying around? My chief needs some to secure a cabinet....
Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick93 View Post
Well I know that you get the penicillin shot or the "peanut butter shot" in your ass. So either you dont know what your talking about or your just trying to screw with me. Either way I don't really have the patience for either. I did ask this question to get some moron like you giving me advice.
Yikes. I am sure he was referring to the rumor of the square needle to your boy parts rumor. Everyone already knows about the PB shot. Since he's been through RTC he knows what he is talking about and again I would assume that he wasn't trying to screw you over. Having that everyones out to get me attitude is no fun. He was offering a valid piece of advice contrary to what you may think.
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Laworlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
Yikes. I am sure he was referring to the rumor of the square needle to your boy parts rumor. Everyone already knows about the PB shot. Since he's been through RTC he knows what he is talking about and again I would assume that he wasn't trying to screw you over. Having that everyones out to get me attitude is no fun. He was offering a valid piece of advice contrary to what you may think.
That is what I am referring to. Nearly everybody gets the PB Shot, unless you are allergic. Rest assured that I am not trying to screw you over, as I wouldn't be on this forum if I was. I have been through boot camp, and I know some of the rumors. Just trying to put your mind at easy when you hear of such rumors.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

About the PB shot. You get it twice. Once when you get there than one at the end of week five. But the PB shot isn't the worst. its the firing line where you just keep stepping on squares and getting a shot. Most people feel like crap after that for a few days but then it goes away. All in all it is just way over hyped b/c people like to stress you recruits out b/c it is funny.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Laworlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz3232 View Post
About the PB shot. You get it twice. Once when you get there than one at the end of week five. But the PB shot isn't the worst. its the firing line where you just keep stepping on squares and getting a shot. Most people feel like crap after that for a few days but then it goes away. All in all it is just way over hyped b/c people like to stress you recruits out b/c it is funny.
Not everybody gets it twice. Only one person in my division got it done a second time. 4 from brother div got it again. I do not know what determines whether or not you get it twice however. Expect it twice, consider yourself lucky if you get it once?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

From what I've read you only get the peanut butter shot twice if you go during the winter. But if you're allergic they give you an alternative pill to take for a certain amount of time.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

What I've heard is that how many times you get the peanut butter shot depends on which diseases are going around boot camp while you are there.
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you hear isn't going to have the least effect on what you actually get, so count on one and be ready for more.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I was there Sep 18th to Nov 16th... only one butt-shot for all of us.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote