NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
NavyGamecock

NavyGamecock is on a distinguished road
Default Advacement to E-2

Is it a for sure advancement to E-2 during boot camp if your complete the following requirements?

1. Score higher then the minimums on the first PFA (and assuming if you pass the first one you will be able to pass the rest of the PT test given.)

2. Pass the first start guide test (what about the second and third test I've heard about?)

Please only answer if you know from experience and are not going off what you've been told.
NavyGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
NavyGamecock

Ok so I got this from http://www.navycs.com/navy-advanced-paygrade.html

Completion of DEP Guide Personal Qualification Standards (PQS) & Initial Fitness Assessment (IFA)
If you successfully complete the DEP GUIDE PQS, pass a written test at Recruit Training Command (RTC), and pass PT-Baseline with a SAT-MED will be advanced to E2 effective from their Active Duty Service Date (ADSD). Completion of your DEP GUIDE PQS will be confirmed and documented by the Classifier at MEPS.

What are the SAT-MED lines for a 26 year old male.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

There no longer is Sat-medium, just Sat.

43 sit ups
34 push ups
14:00 1.5 mile run

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Cmann318

Cmann318 is on a distinguished road

Yea all you have to do is pass the first PT test and pass the dep test they give you like the first week. I was advanced to e2 this way. It's the best and easiest way to get more money in your pocket. The dep test is super easy and if you come into boot camp in any kind of shape you'll pass the first pfa. Good luck.
Cmann318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Yep, it is true...I got advanced to E2 this way. I was surprised by all the E1s that did NOT get promoted this way...I think of it as if you do a little homework (study) and get in a little shape before boot camp...you have a $2200 bonus (rough estimate of difference in pay between E2 and E1 over 9 months)....

It's a really big jump...an E1 under 4 months only makes a little over $1400/m (over 4 months is like $1493) while an E2 makes $1700/month. You want this!

Only like 12 people got promoted this way in my division out of like 50-60 E1s.

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
NavyGamecock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxCTM View Post
Yep, it is true...I got advanced to E2 this way. I was surprised by all the E1s that did NOT get promoted this way...I think of it as if you do a little homework (study) and get in a little shape before boot camp...you have a $2200 bonus (rough estimate of difference in pay between E2 and E1 over 9 months)....

It's a really big jump...an E1 under 4 months only makes a little over $1400/m (over 4 months is like $1493) while an E2 makes $1700/month. You want this!

Only like 12 people got promoted this way in my division out of like 50-60 E1s.
What would cause someone not to be promoted to e-2 if they passed both the written and physical test??

or are you saying that you're suprised by the e-1's that did not take advantage of this and make the effort to study/be in shape.

I honestly would feel robbed if I passed the written and physical test but was not able to be advanced for some reason.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
USNsailorJC

USNsailorJC is on a distinguished road

Do you have to have your start guide signed off to qualify for the advacement? I was told by my recruiter that I don't have to, just pass the first dep test and pt and ill be good to go. Is this true? So if I pass both pt and written test without getting start guide signed off will I still advance?
USNsailorJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

My start guide was never looked at, they made everyone that had one with then throw it away at the airport at ohare before even getting on the buses to go to RTC. Still got advanced, as did many in my division.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
USNsailorJC

USNsailorJC is on a distinguished road

Lol that's funny I've been bugging my recruiter about signing it, and they make you throw it out. Well now that I know I won't bother him anymore another thing how was the dep test? Did it cover naval history at all and did you have to know the whole list of chain of command in order? Also what week do you take the first pt test for advancement? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to be VERY prepared.
USNsailorJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Chris300zx6

Chris300zx6 is on a distinguished road

Is that the new 1.5 mile time? I thought it was 12:15? Awesome, when did this change. Or is that for a specific age group
Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
13Point1Heiress

13Point1Heiress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris300zx6 View Post
Is that the new 1.5 mile time? I thought it was 12:15? Awesome, when did this change. Or is that for a specific age group
Specific age group

DEP: 04OCT13
SHIP: 29JUL14
13Point1Heiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Chris300zx6

Chris300zx6 is on a distinguished road

Sweet ill be 26 by the time i get to ship out. (Birthday may 12th) I was working on getting my time under 12. Good to know i have a few minutes extra
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGamecock View Post
What would cause someone not to be promoted to e-2 if they passed both the written and physical test??

or are you saying that you're suprised by the e-1's that did not take advantage of this and make the effort to study/be in shape.

I honestly would feel robbed if I passed the written and physical test but was not able to be advanced for some reason.
I am saying I was surprised by all the E-1s that did not take advantage of this.

And your recruiter does some paperwork for this--he signs a piece of paper for each of those 11 or 13 or however many blocks of "things you should know before boot camp" and it goes into your file.

I was in p-days for just under two weeks and our dep advancemnt test was like on P-3 day (It was the 3rd day of the week after our p-hold week). The Baseline PFA for me was run on 1-2 day.

CompTIA A+ Certified: May 29, 2012
CompTIA Network+ Certified: June 5, 2013
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris300zx6 View Post
Sweet ill be 26 by the time i get to ship out. (Birthday may 12th) I was working on getting my time under 12. Good to know i have a few minutes extra
For older recruits more time is given for the run and less push ups and sit ups are required to pass compared to those who are younger.

These are the standards for your age group:
http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/25-29.html
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
NavyGamecock

When do you find out if you're advance to e-2 by completing the above?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

They will tell you towards the end of bootcamp.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #17
NavyGamecock

For the PFA part of the advancement, what scoreline do you have to fall under or do you just have to get better than Satisfactory. Ive gotten multiple answers to this question and would really like to know the RIGHT answer so I will know where I need to be physically before going in. So pretty much do I need to score Good, Excellent, Outstanding, Max????
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

The requirement is that you pass. A "pass" is a satisfactory or better.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

A Sat score will suffice. However, at some commands, if you get a Sat score, you will be placed in FEP, and be required to go to command PT before or after work until you can pass with at least a Good.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
racer25

racer25 is on a distinguished road

Okay if one were to be promoted to e-2 this way is it possible to make e-3?
racer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

No. PQS only goes to E-2. There are other methods (recruiting other sailors, being an Eagle Scout, college credits, RDC selection etc) that can take you to E-3 though.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
FutureND
**Active Duty**

You can get e2 by passing your test and initial pfa then be meritoriously advanced to e3 by your rdc if they feel you deserve it. We had 5 people advanced by our rdc's.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGamecock View Post
For the PFA part of the advancement, what scoreline do you have to fall under or do you just have to get better than Satisfactory. Ive gotten multiple answers to this question and would really like to know the RIGHT answer so I will know where I need to be physically before going in. So pretty much do I need to score Good, Excellent, Outstanding, Max????
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
The requirement is that you pass. A "pass" is a satisfactory or better.
^ This... however, your initial PFA is going to be done at 0430 or 0530, after at least a week of no exercise, and likely right in the middle of the inevitable illness you're going to catch during P-Days. So, if you show up at RTC only able to make Satisfactory scores, you're probably not going to pass your initial PFA... you need to give yourself room for error.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #24
Maahs

Maahs is on a distinguished road

If I'm going coming in as an E-3 (thanks to already having a degree) does passing the dep PQS and fitness the first time make a difference to pay during boot?
Maahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #25
FutureND
**Active Duty**

No, you will get e3 pay from day 1.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Charlize

Charlize is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
^ This... however, your initial PFA is going to be done at 0430 or 0530, after at least a week of no exercise, and likely right in the middle of the inevitable illness you're going to catch during P-Days. So, if you show up at RTC only able to make Satisfactory scores, you're probably not going to pass your initial PFA... you need to give yourself room for error.
It wasn't had at all. I did not exercise before BC at all and passed my PFA. I did not study my DEP guide except for the sailor's creed and 11 general orders. I wish i did study more. Got promoted anyway.

Things to know:
Rank recognition.
11 General Orders
Navy slang.

These things are expected to be known perfectly. And yes, chain of command.

Maybe somebody will fill me out since it was almost a year ago.
Charlize is offline   Reply With Quote