NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
KreTo

KreTo is on a distinguished road
Default Prepping for the CTN "A"/"C" school

Hi All!

Just a quick simple question for anyone who knows about the schooling for CTNs. I have heard that it has one of the highest attrition rates and I am concerned that I may be underprepared. Is there anything that I should look into prior to leaving for boot camp/ "A" School? A list of books? youtube videos?

Thanks!
Future Sailor Kregel
KreTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Argonaut17

Argonaut17 is on a distinguished road

http://www.learntosubnet.com/

was recommended this to help out in the later weeks. I'm down in Pensacola now in CTN school, which is known as JCAC by the way. Its basically A and C school combined. not including holding, its 25 weeks long, and pretty fast paced.
Argonaut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Argonaut17

Argonaut17 is on a distinguished road

oh yeah the attrition rate thing is no joke. All the other CTN's ive talked to, the first thing they ask is "So have you heard the horror stories? Cause their all true." People fail out or are set back all the time. But i hope you enjoy studying!
Argonaut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road

What is CTN?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Graff

Graff is on a distinguished road

navy hackers =P

Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
KreTo

Thanks Argo!

I'll check this out. A friend in the OP-Intel Community out in Norfolk told me to find a CompTIA Network+ study guide and read/memorize it...

I have kind of a personal question if you don't mind. But what was your background prior to A school? college? interests? and are you having any issues at JCAC? anything I should be on the lookout for :D

Thanks again!
Kregel
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
bbeau

bbeau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut17 View Post

was recommended this to help out in the later weeks. I'm down in Pensacola now in CTN school, which is known as JCAC by the way. Its basically A and C school combined. not including holding, its 25 weeks long, and pretty fast paced.

Like Kreto, I am also interested in learning as much as i can about CTN's. If you have time could you answer some of the questions i have. Such as: What was your ASVAB score(if you don't mind disclosing), what rank are you and will be when you finish A school, and is the CTN rate a 4/5/6 year commitment. I'm just curious because there is little information on this rate. Thank you
bbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
KreTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeau View Post
Like Kreto, I am also interested in learning as much as i can about CTN's. If you have time could you answer some of the questions i have. Such as: What was your ASVAB score(if you don't mind disclosing), what rank are you and will be when you finish A school, and is the CTN rate a 4/5/6 year commitment. I'm just curious because there is little information on this rate. Thank you
idk if it will help much but I got a 91 on the ASVAB and I am going in as an E-3 (I have a Masters Degree already) and I think that its an auto-promote after 6 months (after you finish A school) due to the nature of the schooling and since I have a Bachelors degree or higher. Every CTN contract is for 6 years.

If you are interested I would suggest looking into that website Argo posted and that OPINTEL friend in Norfolk I was talking about sent me a copy of his CompTIA Network+ study guide... ill link an B&N page for you

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Com...8&cm_mmca2=pla

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
FormerDP2

FormerDP2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreTo View Post
I have a Masters Degree already
In my humble opinion, you should have applied for a commission.
FormerDP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerDP2 View Post
Maybe the OP doesn't feel that a commission would be right for them. Maybe they tried an didn't get selected. Maybe they would rather be more hands on and not run the chance of getting stuck pushing paper work. There are a ton of reasons why one would not try for a commission.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
KreTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerDP2 View Post
I did apply for commission... with the Air Force... last year after i graduated and was denied over someone who was more qualified... so no hard feelings there. But it wasn't even close and I didn't want to waste another half year to be denied again. I was also told that Civilian to Commissioned Officer rates for the Navy fell somewhere near 13% and even then its a long wait. I can't afford to wait much more than I already am right now.

Besides that, I have no problem with working my ass off and I eventually plan on seeking a Commission. I just want to know the job, have the training, and test the waters (I might not even like the military life)... all in due time... and at least this way I will already have connections and an "in" for when I go for commission...

-Kreto
Old 12-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
ritzcracker37

ritzcracker37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut17 View Post

It seems that the rating info sheet I received at MEPS is outdated since that states A and C school is 11 weeks combined (which I was a bit concerned about considering the amount of material that will be covered). So it's actually a relief to hear it's longer.

What kind of stuff did they have you do during holding?
ritzcracker37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Rickblaine22

Rickblaine22 is on a distinguished road

First of all, whoever said CTNs are Navy hackers...it is a big misrepresentation. CTNs don't hack anything. I know because I am a CTN2 (and also for those who don't think you can do it, I made 2nd class in less than 18 months). Seriously...stop saying that you hack because you don't. They teach you BASIC computer vulnerabilities and you do SOME exploiting but that is not what you will be doing. A very small percentage of CTNs actually become operators where they DO hack, and that is not even a CTN specific billet.

All I can say about your school in Corry is to take it seriously. Its intense but not impossible. I saw some really dumb people skate by and their reputations as dirt bags followed them to their commands. I also saw people who didn't even know how to turn on a computer pass who are good sailors (I am stationed with them now). That school is a golden opportunity for those of you who have signed on to be CTNs. You won't get training like that in any other job.

I understand the need for information and wanting to know all you can before you go, but your experience will be different from anyone else's. Just calm down and let it happen.

Also, don't count on anyone in Great Lakes knowing ANYTHING about what CTNs do. Sometimes your RDCs or your other instructors will have Q&A and I used to hate it that one or two idiots would ask about their rates. Don't even ask.
Rickblaine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #14
ALJW2015

ALJW2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickblaine22 View Post
First of all, whoever said CTNs are Navy hackers...it is a big misrepresentation. CTNs don't hack anything. I know because I am a CTN2 (and also for those who don't think you can do it, I made 2nd class in less than 18 months). Seriously...stop saying that you hack because you don't. They teach you BASIC computer vulnerabilities and you do SOME exploiting but that is not what you will be doing. A very small percentage of CTNs actually become operators where they DO hack, and that is not even a CTN specific billet.

All I can say about your school in Corry is to take it seriously. Its intense but not impossible. I saw some really dumb people skate by and their reputations as dirt bags followed them to their commands. I also saw people who didn't even know how to turn on a computer pass who are good sailors (I am stationed with them now). That school is a golden opportunity for those of you who have signed on to be CTNs. You won't get training like that in any other job.

I understand the need for information and wanting to know all you can before you go, but your experience will be different from anyone else's. Just calm down and let it happen.

Also, don't count on anyone in Great Lakes knowing ANYTHING about what CTNs do. Sometimes your RDCs or your other instructors will have Q&A and I used to hate it that one or two idiots would ask about their rates. Don't even ask.
Can you clarify on where CTNs go after "A"/"C" School? I know there are 7 places but where are the best places to get stationed. I'm really interested in Maryland, DC, or Virginia.
ALJW2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJW2015 View Post
Can you clarify on where CTNs go after "A"/"C" School? I know there are 7 places but where are the best places to get stationed. I'm really interested in Maryland, DC, or Virginia.
We can't talk about what personnel go where to do what. CT's work highly classified missions, so this kind of information isn't something we can discuss here. You'll find out everything you need to know waaaay before you get to your final command while you're at Corry Station.

As far as best places, they each have their pluses and minuses. Personally I'd like Hawaii, but some folks don't like island life so they would prefer Georgia or something. It's all just personal preference.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote