NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road
Default More CTN Reserve Questions

I had to enlist in the Reserves due to my age. I hope to go active eventually, but I hear that's difficult. Anyway, my question involves my annual training. I've been told by my recruiter that I can, in many cases, choose where I want to go. What are some options for a Reserve CTN for annual training? Also, as a reservist, will I have the opportunity to volunteer to fill billets in other parts of the world? And, one more question, is it possible for a CTN reservist to go FTS? I know IT can, but I wasn't sure if the CTN skillset can be utilized for full time support. If it makes any difference I'll be in Millington (hope that's not an opsec infringement).
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I had to enlist in the Reserves due to my age. I hope to go active eventually, but I hear that's difficult. Anyway, my question involves my annual training. I've been told by my recruiter that I can, in many cases, choose where I want to go. What are some options for a Reserve CTN for annual training? Also, as a reservist, will I have the opportunity to volunteer to fill billets in other parts of the world? And, one more question, is it possible for a CTN reservist to go FTS? I know IT can, but I wasn't sure if the CTN skillset can be utilized for full time support. If it makes any difference I'll be in Millington (hope that's not an opsec infringement).
As far as AT goes, it will depend who technically "owns" you (aka what billet you're filling). I'll give you an example:

Of our reserve sailors in Texas, one was billeted to support Hawaii. So for his AT, he would fly out to Hawaii to support their mission for his AT. The rest of the folks were billeted to NIOC Texas, and would do their AT there.

A few things come up during the year too to support other things like different exercises or events and what not, which can sometimes count towards AT time. But as a junior sailor, bet on your AT being at your nearest NIOC facility. You'll probably do your two weeks at NIOC Georgia or NIOC Maryland. You'll know more once you report to your reserve unit though.

On the FTS front, there are no CTN FTS billets. So that's not an option.

/r
CTT1
Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in Millington, you're going to be part of Region Southeast. So I would bank on AT going down at NIOC Georgia over in Augusta, GA.

/r
CTT1
Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #4
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Will there be many opportunities for me to travel? I know it's probable that I will be mobilized at least once in my enlistment, but from what I understand, I will most likely stay stateside.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
Will there be many opportunities for me to travel? I know it's probable that I will be mobilized at least once in my enlistment, but from what I understand, I will most likely stay stateside.
Mob's (Mobilizations/Pronounced like Mobe) aren't terribly common for reserve CTNs, although you certainly can try to take long term orders somewhere.

CTNs unfortunately travel the least maybe out of any group in the Navy. Due to the fact that the things you need to do your job are only located here at home. There are also a few other complicated reasons I can't get into as to why CTNs don't travel, but suffice to say that you guys work out of NIOCs for a good reason and sending you abroad just wouldn't make sense.

Active duty CTNs have some limited options to escape stateside, but it's usually senior people and for limited durations. (Outside of something like TIO).

***A little background on me: I was the LPO of a CTN division doing cyber work for the last couple years. It's a little rare for a CTT to be doing that work but I had a unique skill set and was in the right place at the right time. I worked closely with both active duty and reserve CTNs.***
Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

There will also occasionally be mob opportunities that you can volunteer for as well. Keep your ear to the ground, check your email, and work with your Chain of Command to track those down.

You're still gonna have some cool shit to work on during drill weekends though, don't sweat. CT's are one of the few rates in the reserves that still actually have a job and contribute something meaningful during drill weekends.

/r
CTT1