NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
fsdrew

fsdrew is on a distinguished road
Default Shots and Wisdom Teeth

I heard the penicillian shot (I think thats the shot) runs the chance of paralyzing you? Is that true?

Also how bad is it getting your wisdom teeth removed in basic? I did not have time to get mine removed before I ship out and I am kind of dreading it.
fsdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

No, the penicillin shot will not paralyze you. Even if you have a penicillin allergy, that's not an expected reaction.
Info here: http://www.medicinenet.com/penicilli...on/article.htm

Getting your wisdom teeth out is not bad. They do hundreds each week so really are experts. You'll get a day or two of SIQ (sick in quarters) which can be a good chance to recharge without falling behind.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
fsdrew

fsdrew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
No, the penicillin shot will not paralyze you. Even if you have a penicillin allergy, that's not an expected reaction.
Info here: http://www.medicinenet.com/penicilli...on/article.htm

Getting your wisdom teeth out is not bad. They do hundreds each week so really are experts. You'll get a day or two of SIQ (sick in quarters) which can be a good chance to recharge without falling behind.
Thanks for the quick answer. My friend was talking about some shot being near the sciatic nerve it kind of freaked me out a little the shot you get in your butt I think.
fsdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
jody13

jody13 is on a distinguished road

Do they take everyone's wisdom teeth out at basic
jody13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

On rare occasions they'll let you keep them, but only if it's obvious that they're not going to cause trouble. The vast majority aren't that lucky. And the difference between a brand-new wisdom tooth and a fully developed one is horrible: they're like three times the size, and they have this nasty habit of getting nerves twirled around their roots. Makes a future extraction a hundred times more difficult and dangerous on all counts.

Here, I even found a picture:

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
BloodyPheonix

BloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond reputeBloodyPheonix has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the stuff I've seen about it is that the SIQ days after they get yanked are great because so many people lose them that there is no point in trying to teach anything so the rest clean while you sleep. Don't think you get pain meds though but still worth the pain.
BloodyPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get bored. Remember, when you're SIQ, you CANNOT leave your rack except to eat and use the head. And you'll almost certainly drool-bleed on your pillow, which is nasty.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Kgard12

Kgard12 will become famous soon enough

Interesting question... I had my wisdom teeth removed but I actually have a fifth one that is up in my nerve, and my dentist didn't remove it as he said it was too risky and wouldn't cause me problems. Do you guys think they will try to remove that one at basic? Should I maybe get some documentation about it from my dentist before I go?
Kgard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

If it'll make you sleep better at night, you could, but as Guppy said, the dentists at RTC are experts. They know what's feasible and what could become an issue in the future.

My wisdom teeth cause me no issues, and the dentists there saw that immediately and left them alone.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Telfermagne
**Active Duty**

Telfermagne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Here, I even found a picture:
Jimmity Christmas, after seeing this I wish my dentist took my remaining wisdom tooth out years ago. 3 were removed with no issues, one was left in. At my age I've got one of those fully grown buggers to deal with. Fingers are crossed that they'll just let it be, it ain't caused me no issues yet.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
jBowles

jBowles is on a distinguished road

my grandpa always told me that the age you get your wisdom teeth removed is half of your life expectancy
jBowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
Gremmin

Gremmin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBowles View Post
my grandpa always told me that the age you get your wisdom teeth removed is half of your life expectancy
lol, well if that were the case half the people I know would be dead at 30, I would be dead too now.
Gremmin is offline   Reply With Quote