NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #51
NavyCalifornia

NavyCalifornia is on a distinguished road

Thanks jzhaun! Appreciate the details you put in to answer my question.
NavyCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #52
Alymccready

Alymccready is on a distinguished road

Am I allowed to have my engagement ring at bootcamp or should I leave it at home with my fiancé.
Alymccready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #53
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

You should be able to keep it, but if it is any more elaborate than a single plain band, I would leave it with him.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #54
navycatmc

navycatmc will become famous soon enough

Glad this post got linked from another one asking about female things. Thanks for being detailed and taking your time to explain everything!

"To live will be an awfully big adventure." -Peter Pan
navycatmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #55
ShaynaLace

ShaynaLace is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

So, the first time I read this thread, I didn't even think twice about the birth control section, because I'd had the Paragard for 5.5 years. But a few days ago, I discovered a cause behind some not very fun health problems (insignificant in terms of enlisting, but a nuisance nonetheless), and without going into too much detail, I removed the Paragard myself. Turns out the device was rusted, and now I am waiting for my body to recover.

My question... do you HAVE to be on birth control? My body reacts horribly to hormones, and obviously I refuse to insert/implant anything in my body. Shouldn't you NOT be having sex in bootcamp anyway?! :/ Maybe someone can explain more?!
ShaynaLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #56
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Nope. No requirement to be on birth control on or at any point in your career. Just be smart.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #57
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about

This is a great thread, very informative. Thanks for posting it.

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
NavyPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #58
ShaynaLace

ShaynaLace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Nope. No requirement to be on birth control on or at any point in your career. Just be smart.
Awesome! Appreciate the fast response
ShaynaLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #59
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

I have naturally curly hair and when I eventually cut it, it will look like an afro. Is it possible to have one single french braid from the front to the back secured by a small clear rubber band? I just really don't want to get crap from anybody because my hair is out of control.
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #60
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Once you're in A school/the fleet, french braids are fine. I wear them pretty often myself.

But they're not authorized in bootcamp. There was a girl in my division who used to try it and the RDCs came down on her hard. The only thing you can do with your hair in bootcamp (besides having it loose with bobby pins to keep it out of your face) is corn rows.

I never really understood the logic of it, but that's the way it was.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #61
NavyGirl2015
**Active Duty**

NavyGirl2015 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the answer about the french braid. I was really hoping that would be an option. Is there any way we could have some sort of product? Like a leave in conditioner or mousse? Do The RDC's come down hard on females who have out of control hair?
NavyGirl2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #62
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Being allowed to use any type of hair products is going to depend heavily on your RDCs. Some might allow it, others might not. Mine would have allowed the conditioner for sure, not positive about the mousse. But I also met people from another division that couldn't buy shampoo at all ( they had to use the body wash they were issued to wash their hair). It's hard to say.

It also depends on whether or not the nex has whatever you're looking for. It's a kind of small store and you'll have to consider whether or not your a and b drawer has room for a bottle of that size.

If your hair is out of control, the RDCs will probably tell you to corn row it. They're only going to come down on you if you don't follow their instructions.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #63
smhbtr

smhbtr is on a distinguished road

Question about the wallet. I read somewhere, thought it was here but can't find it, that if it fits in the wallet you can keep it. Is this true? Like could I keep a couple bandaids in there and my addresses on an index card?
smhbtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #64
digitalxhottie

digitalxhottie is on a distinguished road
Red face

Okay so Im trying my luck on this thread...

Im a shaver- meaning I am squeeky clean down under and I prefer to shave every day LoL Am I going to have to let it "grow out" for a week, every week?!?! I havent had hair in 17 years and Im freaking out that I wont be able to do my quick shave.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #65
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

No, you won't be able to shave everyday. On Sundays, certainly. But any other day we'd get like 40 minutes get 80 females through the 5 working showerheads and get the whole head cleaned up and dried off afterwards - there simply wasn't enough time.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #66
caguirr

caguirr is on a distinguished road
Smile Getting pap smear before or during boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgriebel View Post
Did you ever get the answer to this question?
I am glad someone asked this question because I also want to know
caguirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #67
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caguirr View Post
I am glad someone asked this question because I also want to know
If you have insurance it wouldn't hurt to get a PAP beforehand. But it really won't make that much of a difference to get it done there. The medical process is pretty streamlined.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #68
caguirr

caguirr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
If you have insurance it wouldn't hurt to get a PAP beforehand. But it really won't make that much of a difference to get it done there. The medical process is pretty streamlined.
Thank you for your quick response! ! Really appreciate it
caguirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #69
gopacgo12

gopacgo12 is on a distinguished road

I was told that if I went to the doctors for my PAP prior to leaving it could push it back, is that not true? Should I talk to my recruiter cause I'd rather get it before I leave.
gopacgo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #70
LT Guppy

Technically, yes. Because it will have to go into your medical record and so meps will have to review it as a change to your medical history. However, assuming there's nothing weird on your pap, and you have enough time before you ship, it shouldn't matter.
That being said, like I said in my earlier post, it is not a big deal to just have the navy do it for you. They have the system streamlined enough that it won't cause you any hardship during boot camp.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #71
gopacgo12

gopacgo12 is on a distinguished road

Okay cool, I didn't see that. I'll probably just wait. Thank you so much.
gopacgo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #72
Ryra23

Ryra23 is on a distinguished road
Default 2017-2018 updates

I ship out in May of 2018 and according to the start guide that I received at MEPS some things have changed based on what I've read on this thread especially since some of these posts are very old.
In a female specific items it says that we're still allowed to bring makeup as long as there are no glass items and it tells us to bring sanitary items sufficient for 1 week.
It also goes on to note that female recruits May travel to RTC with their hair styled as desired the standard hair length for females May touch but not fall below a horizontal line level with the lower edge of the back of the uniform collar females will have the option of having their hair cut to military standards after reporting to RTC for a nominal fee, females who do not get their haircut will be instructed on how to wear their hair with in military standards . From my Understanding means that you no longer have to cut your hair in basic as long as you're keeping it up in a bun.
It does also mention medical processing for females who have had a pap smear during the six months prior to shipping should bring your test results recruiter who are currently using birth control should bring copy of exam records in addition to the pills both presently and previously prescribed
Ryra23 is offline   Reply With Quote