NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 10-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
KaLinux

KaLinux is on a distinguished road
Default Didn't Get CTN, Forced to take ET instead

There's no way around it. My recruiter has said that CTN3 is still closed for conversion and my best bet would be to take ET3. Does anyone know much about the ET rating? Any reserve duty stations out there for this rate? I'm hoping I can get an NEC that deals with IT related systems. Feeling kinda morbid...
KaLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLinux View Post
There's no way around it. My recruiter has said that CTN3 is still closed for conversion and my best bet would be to take ET3. Does anyone know much about the ET rating? Any reserve duty stations out there for this rate? I'm hoping I can get an NEC that deals with IT related systems. Feeling kinda morbid...
ET's don't touch IT gear. If you can get IT go for it.

ET's are split between comms and radar gear (although they probably will work on both at some point if you're AD or mobilized). So for example, IT's use the radio gear, but all those transmitters, antennas, etc, all belong to the ET's. They maintain it and troubleshoot it; the IT's just get to push some buttons.

Radar gear that doesn't include anything FC related also goes to the ET's. So your search radars, navigation, air search, stuff like that. Anything that has to do with Fire Control (tracking stuff and proceeding to blow it up) falls to the FC's.

I'd say consider CTM but I don't believe the SELRES has any. Since you have a pretty unique situation, have you shopped around the other services? The Navy (as much as I love it) isn't the only game in town when it comes to cyber operations or IT stuff. It would feel weird as hell putting on a different uniform, but it depends how far you're willing to go to get what you're after.

I've also mentioned this to a few other guys, but you don't need the military to teach you information security. CEH, CISSP, CCNA (with/without security), are all totally obtainable without the Navy's help and will get you a job doing it and making wads of cash in no time. If you still have veterans benefits then you might be able to get Uncle Sam to pay for some of those.

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 10-19-2015 at 05:13 PM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
jabONE
**Active Duty**

jabONE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey,

Quick question, are you trying to convert or are you coming in straight out of DEP? My assumption was conversion as you said CTN3 which I believe is correct that CTN3 is at the appropriate manning level. I however am converting to CTN but I am only and E-3 so maybe that is why.

V/R,

HN Baron

CTN2 Baron
jabONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabONE View Post
Hey,

Quick question, are you trying to convert or are you coming in straight out of DEP? My assumption was conversion as you said CTN3 which I believe is correct that CTN3 is at the appropriate manning level. I however am converting to CTN but I am only and E-3 so maybe that is why.

V/R,

HN Baron
He's a prior service guy. So a little different situation.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
jabONE
**Active Duty**

Ah gotcha CTT1. Yeah tough situation as they are not letting many prior enlisted in at the moment at least from everything I have heard.

V/R,

HN Baron

CTN2 Baron
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
KaLinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
ET's don't touch IT gear. If you can get IT go for it.

I'd say consider CTM but I don't believe the SELRES has any. Since you have a pretty unique situation, have you shopped around the other services? The Navy (as much as I love it) isn't the only game in town when it comes to cyber operations or IT stuff. It would feel weird as hell putting on a different uniform, but it depends how far you're willing to go to get what you're after.

I've also mentioned this to a few other guys, but you don't need the military to teach you information security. CEH, CISSP, CCNA (with/without security), are all totally obtainable without the Navy's help and will get you a job doing it and making wads of cash in no time. If you still have veterans benefits then you might be able to get Uncle Sam to pay for some of those.

/r
CTT1

I would have to go back to Basic with any other service. Plus I strongly believe that Naval training is superior to the other branches lol. I'm just taking my quickest chance of getting back into the Navy because I'm hurting financially out here. I've already waited two years for CTN3 to open up but due to so many E-3's converting over and getting E-4 out of A school, I can't convert over. Plus, there aren't any PRISE-R reservations open for me to convert to damn near anything. I'm a direct convert to ET, so I don't have to go to school. February, I'll be taking the exam with a possible 49% chance of making Second Class. Hopefully I make it first time up.

As far as certifications go, I'll have my CCNA R/S and CCNA Sec by February as it is in my degree plan. I will eventually want the CISSP but not without the experience. Same thing with the CEH. Hell, I wanted CTN because it would help me to build the experience required to take the CISSP lol. Before I take the CEH, I want to learn the nitty-gritty of the Windows OS. I know I could pass the CEH right now but there isn't any rush.

No matter what, as soon as I make E-5 and accrued the two or three years of TIR, I'll cross rate to CTN. Also, the only reason I thought that ETs possibly worked with IT systems is because some of the NECs for IT are available to ETs. Most of those NECs say that ETs have to be sub qual'd except for 1654 and 1678. Outside of those, I don't see a NOSC letting me get NECs that deal with me going on a ship when there aren't any ships for me to get stationed on. At least I don't think there are.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
KaLinux

Quote:
Ah gotcha CTT1. Yeah tough situation as they are not letting many prior enlisted in at the moment at least from everything I have heard.

V/R,

HN Baron
Most definitely a tough situation. I'm prior enlisted and I'm going into the reserves. They only want 4 CTN3s in the reserves whereas there are 40+. If I were an E-5, they'd let me convert with no problem.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Most definitely a tough situation. I'm prior enlisted and I'm going into the reserves. They only want 4 CTN3s in the reserves whereas there are 40+. If I were an E-5, they'd let me convert with no problem.
Can always take a rate then drop an RC/RC conversion request down the line.
Just a thought.

/r
CTT1
Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
jabONE
**Active Duty**

I hope everything works out for you. If I were in your position I would take ET and pick up E-5 then try to convert over in a couple years. Cyber is growing and will be a huge part of the Navy's future. Sorry you have had to wait so long to get what you want with no luck. I actually am one of those E-3s converting over that your talking about. You know what they say, "Choose your rate, choose your fate." I came into the Navy 4 years ago wanting to be a Nuke but duse to politics I did not get it and I am thankful for that now. After getting denied Nuke, I wanted to be a CTN as my recruiter was a CTM and had talked to me about the CTN path. Well it was not available at MEPS and instead of pushing harder for it, I settled for HM. Fast forward 4 years later and I am an E-3 with no NJPs or any trouble at all for that matter and I have scored fairly well on my advancement exams. Because HM advancement is so tough, I have ended up missing E-4 by just a few points the last 4 cycles. I am fortunate enough that I got the opportunity to convert to something I have wanted to do for the last 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, HM is a great rate with a very honorable history but it just isn't and never was for me. Sincerely though, this may be the opportunity you get at coming back into the Navy so I would jump on it and try a conversion later. I wish you the best of luck and maybe we will see each other out in the fleet sometime.

CTN2 Baron
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
KaLinux

Quote:
I hope everything works out for you. If I were in your position I would take ET and pick up E-5 then try to convert over in a couple years. Cyber is growing and will be a huge part of the Navy's future. Sorry you have had to wait so long to get what you want with no luck. I actually am one of those E-3s converting over that your talking about. You know what they say, "Choose your rate, choose your fate." I came into the Navy 4 years ago wanting to be a Nuke but duse to politics I did not get it and I am thankful for that now. After getting denied Nuke, I wanted to be a CTN as my recruiter was a CTM and had talked to me about the CTN path. Well it was not available at MEPS and instead of pushing harder for it, I settled for HM. Fast forward 4 years later and I am an E-3 with no NJPs or any trouble at all for that matter and I have scored fairly well on my advancement exams. Because HM advancement is so tough, I have ended up missing E-4 by just a few points the last 4 cycles. I am fortunate enough that I got the opportunity to convert to something I have wanted to do for the last 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, HM is a great rate with a very honorable history but it just isn't and never was for me. Sincerely though, this may be the opportunity you get at coming back into the Navy so I would jump on it and try a conversion later. I wish you the best of luck and maybe we will see each other out in the fleet sometime.
Wow, your story sounds similar to mine. The thing is, I was fortunate to experience many different faces of the Navy but I was hindered throughout my tenure. I came in as a PNSN which then became PS. Advancement to PS3 was between 0.3% to 7% for my first 6 exams. During that time I was stationed on CV-67 working as a temporary MA. I was an MA for 16 months then went to the next ship working as a PS. While on this ship the Navy wanted to try and transition PSs to shore duty, PCSing most of us off the ship. This didn't work out so they PCS us back to the ship right before cruise. Due to the crappy advancement, I chose the most open rate at the time...AE (FTS). I go to P-Cola, then PCS'd up to NAS JRB Willow Grow. Made E-4 first time up. While in WG, we find out that they're finally gonna shut the base down. Base gets shut down and I PCS'd down to NAS Jax. While here, advancement to AE2 is less that 15% the entire time I was there. 8 years, 5 duty stations, 4 different rates (voluntarily worked with LS's and BM's at different commands), quals ranging from SRF-A to Helmsman. Never been to DRB (two Good Conducts), no NAMs and I've only seen one EP eval..my separation eval. So I've been very adamant about doing things a specific way my next go round. I just need to make E-5 lol. That's been my obstacle for the longest time. Sad thing is, I have until February to learn the ET bibs while also studying for computer networking certifications out here. Whereas, had I been able to go CTN, I would just have to brush up on a couple languages because I'm literally getting my bachelors in Computing and Security and already have a well rounded knowledge base in this particular realm.

Sorry for the bio lol.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
jabONE
**Active Duty**

No it is cool, I completely understand the advancement part. I think the highest it has been for HM for the E-4 exam since I have been in was 17 percent. Now when you have 6000+ people taking the exam each by time it is hard. I have taken the CTN practice quizzes that they have on Navy BMW website and have done fairly well on those so I am hopeful about CTN school. Good luck again with everything, I truly wish you the best with your career.

CTN2 Baron
Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
KaLinux

Quote:
No it is cool, I completely understand the advancement part. I think the highest it has been for HM for the E-4 exam since I have been in was 17 percent. Now when you have 6000+ people taking the exam each by time it is hard. I have taken the CTN practice quizzes that they have on Navy BMW website and have done fairly well on those so I am hopeful about CTN school. Good luck again with everything, I truly wish you the best with your career.
I appreciate it shipmate! Same to you. Oh and I'll probably see you in the fleet someday because I will get CTN. Whether it's in the RC or AC.

V/R,

AE3(AW) Henderson
Old 06-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #13
KaLinux

Sorry, but I had to bump this thread lol! Everything I was told by the recruiter was a lie (go figure). I am currently in ET "A" School, HAHA! I was unable to take the exam once I reenlisted. I have missed 3 exams since I've been back in the reserves. Some people that are crossing over to ET were able to take the exam, I wasn't. No biggie though. I will absolutely take the exam this September once I'm finished with A school. 100% advancement to ET2 in the reserves. The downside is that I'll have to wait 18 months to convert over to CTN.

CTN is still the ultimate goal. ET's strongly believe they have the best rate in the Navy. It's very likely that I'll never perform actual ET work on the Reserve side though. Also, no one knows what CT's do on a daily basis, so they're left out of the "Best Rate" equation. CTN's are like Pegacorns to the rest of the Navy lol. I don't care what the best rate is, I just have a passion for InfoSec and learning. I'll be starting my MS in Cybersecurity :Cyber Ops/ Malware Analysis at Utica College in January. I CANNOT WAIT!

I say all of this to just give an update. I will become a CTN.....someday lol.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Although ETs don't really delve into the IT world if you're at a NOSC there's a possibility of catching IT as a collateral duty. My NOSC has an LS running the network. He has several other collaterals, but IT is one of them.
With that, I'm kinda surprised CTN is locked up. So many folks drop from the school. And advancement has been 100% for E4 for a while. Anyway, best of luck to you. When you hit your duty station start asking for collateral duty in IT. You may land something.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
KaLinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
Although ETs don't really delve into the IT world if you're at a NOSC there's a possibility of catching IT as a collateral duty. My NOSC has an LS running the network. He has several other collaterals, but IT is one of them.
With that, I'm kinda surprised CTN is locked up. So many folks drop from the school. And advancement has been 100% for E4 for a while. Anyway, best of luck to you. When you hit your duty station start asking for collateral duty in IT. You may land something.
I wish I could stay with my unit. I'm an ET attached to Navy Cargo Handling Battalion 8. I like my Chain of Command there. It's been explained to me that I won't stay there once I finish ET A school. I've been looking at RFAS billets. There are billets out there that I can fill as an ET. These RFAS billets have a code that allows either ET, IT, or CTN to fill them. These billets are actually IT rating billets. A chunk of them are with the DIA.

CTN is wide open in the reserves but I was unable to convert to CTN3 because CTNs get push-button E4 once school is finished. Big Navy takes that into account and says they only want about 4 CTN3s reserve-wide. When I chose to reenlist, Big Navy said 4 was 100% manning and there were 44. The numbers are still like that. NPC shows CTN convert-in opportunities for E3/5/6 and convert-out for E4. E4 has been a hindrance for me lol.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Yeah, after I typed that post I went to look at the manning and saw that E4 wasn't open for convert-in, but was open for convert-out. That just means you need to get that chevron! Then convert over. When you get E5 it'll probably be a breeze to convert. You may consider emailing the community manager. Sometimes they'll work with you if you give it a try. But I'd probably start by going through the chain first. My CCC told me to email the community manager for my current rate and the rate I want to convert to just to see if I could get one to turn loose of me and the other pick me up. But that scared the crap out of me. Haha! I drill at NOSC Memphis which is literally across the street from the detailers and community managers. I mean, we bump into these people at the NEX. It's not uncommon to be in line with five master chiefs while you're buying beer at the NEX package store. So I didn't want to take a chance. But it's still a possibility.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote