NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Special Warfare > ND = NAVY DIVER

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Iamchriswest

Iamchriswest is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Navy Diver

So I'm in dep right now but im not looking to become a diver yet. I would like to become one maybe after 2 years or if i re enlist after my 4 year contract. Can anyone give me some info if thats possible? And how hard is dive school? Any inside info on ND is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
camfurr

camfurr is on a distinguished road

Your best bet is to get a contract out of DEP. That will provide you with the a guaranteed shot at the program. Yes, the program is hard, both academically and physically. But the reward you get from it in the end is so worth the fight.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Iamchriswest

Im not physically ready to take on such a challenge. And if i fail i dont want to end up in "the needs of the navy" so i would definetly want to wait to get use to being physically active again and just being use to the navy.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

I second what was said, the only way to guarantee a shot at diver is to get a contract in DEP. It's a tough program. We started dive prep with 21, 8 graduated today and are heading to Panama City this weekend. If you do get to dive prep/school and don't make it you will get to reclass. You will be given a list of jobs and get to choose one, you will not just be sent somewhere. They will have you go on a Monday morning when all the new jobs are released. When I went I had about 15 different jobs to choose from.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Iamchriswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
I second what was said, the only way to guarantee a shot at diver is to get a contract in DEP. It's a tough program. We started dive prep with 21, 8 graduated today and are heading to Panama City this weekend. If you do get to dive prep/school and don't make it you will get to reclass. You will be given a list of jobs and get to choose one, you will not just be sent somewhere. They will have you go on a Monday morning when all the new jobs are released. When I went I had about 15 different jobs to choose from.
I would really like to get a contract but i know im not ready to take on such a challenge. I can swim alright and stuff but im not ready for dive school. Thats why i would like to try after ive been in the navy for a while and im in a heck of a better shape than i am now.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
camfurr

camfurr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchriswest View Post
I would really like to get a contract but i know im not ready to take on such a challenge. I can swim alright and stuff but im not ready for dive school. Thats why i would like to try after ive been in the navy for a while and im in a heck of a better shape than i am now.
You gotta start somewhere man. Start getting in shape now. I would be patient with it as well. Try to get a contract while you're in DEP, and don't leave until you get one. After I got my dive contract, I had to wait an additional 6 months to ship out. Now, I'm glad I waited. If you want it bad enough, you'll do anything to get there
Old 07-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Romoore93

Romoore93 is on a distinguished road

What is the academic side part like?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

NAVY DIVER.

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
bcorey

bcorey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
What did you guys do in Prep that made so many drop out?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
flodad

flodad is on a distinguished road

I'm not a Navy man but I'd think a better question would be "What didnt the candidates do to be better prepared before they got there ? A word of advise.... If you think you are physically prepared, train hard and long for a couple weeks ... then on your 14th day, right before you are totally exhaused and beat down and ready to collapse on your bed, then do a PST and see what your scores are....

Last edited by flodad; 10-09-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfurr View Post
You gotta start somewhere man. Start getting in shape now. I would be patient with it as well. Try to get a contract while you're in DEP, and don't leave until you get one. After I got my dive contract, I had to wait an additional 6 months to ship out. Now, I'm glad I waited. If you want it bad enough, you'll do anything to get there
hooyah to that!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
frosty1823

frosty1823 is on a distinguished road

Good morning... have a question... my son is currently in Diver prep school in Great Lakes, IL... during the training, he was sent to medical and diagnosed with exercise induced asthma & given 21 days of light duty... so he can't continue with the training or graduate with other guys he had started...
today, he is scheduled to do some stress tests... after that, he will speak with his master chief about what will happen...

what would be the worst case? i am at home/work, worrying about his future in the Navy...& i am sure my son is too...
Old 08-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty1823 View Post
Good morning... have a question... my son is currently in Diver prep school in Great Lakes, IL... during the training, he was sent to medical and diagnosed with exercise induced asthma & given 21 days of light duty... so he can't continue with the training or graduate with other guys he had started...
today, he is scheduled to do some stress tests... after that, he will speak with his master chief about what will happen...

what would be the worst case? i am at home/work, worrying about his future in the Navy...& i am sure my son is too...
Worst case he gets medically separated. Most likely he'll go undes or get to re-rate.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
frosty1823

frosty1823 is on a distinguished road

Worst case he gets medically separated. Most likely he'll go undes or get to re-rate.

he's got the result from the medical & found out that he has pneumonia... so 5 days to take antibiotics and go back to see if it's all cleared up. if it has and all looks good, he will be rolled back to another class (we don't know for sure when as 800 divisons not graduating every friday...)
if for some reason, they decided to take him off from Diver training, he will be reclassed & will have to find another rating...

i am a bit concerned about the time they will hold him up there to roll him back... my son mentioned that it could take up to 4 to 5 months for him to be rolled back... what will they do with him until that time?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

It shouldn't take that long for another class to start. When I was in dive prep we had two dive classes going at a time.
Closed Thread