NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
scalawa

scalawa is on a distinguished road
Default HM to doctor

are there any stories of HM Enlisted and then studing to become a doctor or a dentist?
scalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

You must remember that the doctors are all officers...you can get your basic college done while enlisted..but you would have to apply I would think for OCS as you would have to go to medical school. Not sure I have seen that one in the OCS course offered...maybe Guppy will come along and have more info.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

There are programs kind of like that, but as far as I know, none for doctor.

I know there's one for nursing, and another for PA/Pharmacology/a bunch of other specialties. All of these involve the Navy paying you to go to college for this degree and then serving a number of years as an officer.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Doctors go to ODS (Officer Development School), and you have to have your medical degree in order to be selected.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawa View Post
are there any stories of HM Enlisted and then studing to become a doctor or a dentist?
Here is one way to go from HM to Doctor

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
notjustaUSNwife

notjustaUSNwife is on a distinguished road

One of the emergency physicians I worked with when I volunteered at the Naval Hospital started as an HM, did his bachelor's while enlisted, and the Navy sent him to medical school once he got accepted. I'm not sure what program he used but it's possible. A doctor my husband worked with a doctor in Afghanistan went HM to RN to DO. You could also choose to apply to the PA program after a certain amount of time as an HM and at a certain rank. That could be less time consuming and the use of PA's is increasing. I talked to a doctor about the benefits of PA vs. MD or DO when I was considering going that route with my life. Her suggestion was to become a PA.
notjustaUSNwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
FutureHM

FutureHM is on a distinguished road

HPSP, AMA, STA-21, and a lot more health programs can get you to become an Officer in the medical field.

Look up ODS as well and you might be able to get more information there.
FutureHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
HMYert

HMYert is on a distinguished road

Ok, I just want to make sure that I understand this. What I am reading is that after a certain time in my rate and after a certain time in rank I can apply to become something like an officer candidate for nursing where the Navy would then pay for me to go ge my RN and upon completion of my RN I would then have to serve as an officer in the Nursing Corp for a certain amount of time? If this is correct does any one know what program this is and what it is called. Cause that is exactly what I am hoping to do.
HMYert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Here is the link to the official STA-21 program, then just scroll down and click on the link for the nursing corp:

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_options.asp

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
FutureHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMYert View Post
Ok, I just want to make sure that I understand this. What I am reading is that after a certain time in my rate and after a certain time in rank I can apply to become something like an officer candidate for nursing where the Navy would then pay for me to go ge my RN and upon completion of my RN I would then have to serve as an officer in the Nursing Corp for a certain amount of time? If this is correct does any one know what program this is and what it is called. Cause that is exactly what I am hoping to do.
Yes, yes, and yes. Recommended you get some college credits in before you apply for the program. The program is called STA-21. At least that's the most popular one. There are A LOT of programs that do the same thing to be a medical officer. Just have to do some research. I already listed some beforehand.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
HMYert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureHM View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. Recommended you get some college credits in before you apply for the program. The program is called STA-21. At least that's the most popular one. There are A LOT of programs that do the same thing to be a medical officer. Just have to do some research. I already listed some beforehand.
I already have a Master's Degree right now. I just need some prereq's for Nursing. But I looked at that sight and it said it wanted SAT or ACT scores within the last 3 years. I am 29 years old. It has been over 10 years since I took those. Is that waiverable since I have advanced degrees or do I need to retake them in order to be considered for this program when the time comes?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Diesirae27

Quote:
I already have a Master's Degree right now. I just need some prereq's for Nursing. But I looked at that sight and it said it wanted SAT or ACT scores within the last 3 years. I am 29 years old. It has been over 10 years since I took those. Is that waiverable since I have advanced degrees or do I need to retake them in order to be considered for this program when the time comes?
I have the same question Yert and just plan on taking the SAT again...should be possible to take it again right? ;)

Did some digging and found this:

Q: Am I eligible to apply for STA-21 if I already have a Baccalaureate Degree?
A: No. As stated in OPNAVINST 1420.1(series), individuals who have already obtained their baccalaureate degree are not eligible for STA-21 and should apply directly for OCS. OCS application procedures are found in Chapter 4 of 1420.1(series).
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
FutureHM

Quote:
I would take your SAT and ACT tests when you have the time and confidence to do so while active duty. It isn't waiverable, and it isn't a bid deal either. Just have to fit it in with all the other stuff you have to deal with.

As for what Deisirae27 said, I need to look into that myself. It makes sense though since the Navy wouldn't need to pay for you to go to school since you already have a degree.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureHM View Post
I would take your SAT and ACT tests when you have the time and confidence to do so while active duty. It isn't waiverable, and it isn't a bid deal either. Just have to fit it in with all the other stuff you have to deal with.

As for what Deisirae27 said, I need to look into that myself. It makes sense though since the Navy wouldn't need to pay for you to go to school since you already have a degree.
You can put in an application directly to OCS...if you don't care about being in the medical field. If you want to practice medicine you need a degree in the medical field to put in a direct application to ODS (what medical officers go to).
Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
HMYert

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustaUSNwife View Post
You can put in an application directly to OCS...if you don't care about being in the medical field. If you want to practice medicine you need a degree in the medical field to put in a direct application to ODS (what medical officers go to).
I spoke to an officer recruiter and he told me about programs MSCIPP and MECP. These are programs that allow active duty personnel to work towards a medical degree and then once obtained be commissioned. Below are the links. This is definitely what I am gonna do.

MECP
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmed...ngProgram.aspx

MSCIPP
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmed...Assistant.aspx
Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
notjustaUSNwife

Quote:
I spoke to an officer recruiter and he told me about programs MSCIPP and MECP. These are programs that allow active duty personnel to work towards a medical degree and then once obtained be commissioned. Below are the links. This is definitely what I am gonna do.

MECP

MSCIPP
I'm aware of both of those programs. I know people that have gone through both. However, neither are considered a direct commission which is what I was referring to when I said you had to have a degree first.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
FutureHM

Either way HMYert found what he needed and he's good to go. Looking into the stuff as well since I'm interested so i thank you for that.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
HMYert

No problem FutureHM. When do you ship again?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
FutureHM

Quote:
No problem FutureHM. When do you ship again?
December 9th. Two more weeks.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Diesirae27

Quote:

MECP

MSCIPP
Wow..there's so many programs available. I didn't come across these in my searches. THanks!