NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ask A Spook! Cryptologic Questions

Hey all!

I wanted to offer help to any CT deppers that are coming in. I've got experience with both shore and sea duties as a CT, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

(Obviously all correspondence will be unclassified)

You may need to find the last page of this thread, as that's where the most recent posts can be found at.

Respectfully,
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 11-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've been wondering about how the schedule during a-school goes, generally speaking. Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
jody13

jody13 is on a distinguished road

My daughter leaves Sept 8 also. She's a ctt
jody13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Jody, first off to your daughter; good choice ;) haha (I'll admit I'm kind of partial to us T branchers)

FutureSPOOK32; Your time at A-school will be different depending on what branch of CT you are going into (CTT, CTR, ect). You can always check on places like usmilitary.about.com and they can give you a rough estimate of length. Add on to that a few weeks for being in holding (before you class/badge up). Let me know what branch of CT you're going into and I can give you a rough idea of what your A-School will be like.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I forgot to add that Corry Station in Pensacola is probably the best A-School location in the entire Navy haha So there's that to look forward to as well!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

I'll be a CTR, I visited Correy station a few weeks back and it seemed really nice, I think I'll really enjoy my time outside the classroom. Also their recreational facilities are awesome.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
lilyputian

lilyputian is on a distinguished road

CTT1 Griffin,

First off thank you for offering up your knowledge and experience to us future sailors. It's much appreciated.

I was wondering if you have any input on CTI. My friend said it was a horrible job and that you're locked in a room by yourself because it's so Top Secret, but it sounds to me like she might be exaggerating just a wee bit. Do you have any thoughts on that?

(Also are you related to a Tony Griffin who was also in the Navy, by any chance, who just got married to a woman with the first initial of K.?)

Thanks again,
Future Sailor Hwang
lilyputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Hwang,

Anytime! I love helping out future Spooks.

CTI's are the Navy's linguists. You have to take the DLAB to qualify ahead of time, so just a heads up there. But you'll be spending alot of time working in the intelligence field overall as well as being the language expert for whatever mission you're working on.

After Boot Camp you'll head to A-School in Monterey, CA. They are the only CT branch that doesn't go to Pensacola. During your time there you'll be learning whatever language you choose (Farsi, Chinese, Russian, Urdu, ect) Really it depends on the language on how long you're there for. The harder the language obviously the longer you'll have to stay there. But by the end of it you should be able to read, write, and speak whatever you went there for.

As for assignments, the vast majority of CTI's go to NIOCs (Navy Information Operations Command). I'm sure you've noticed that didn't start with "USS" haha So as you can tell, most of your time will be spent on shore duty assignments. There are some opportunities for linguists to get on Aircrew or direct support to ships or subs as well though, if your looking for something more adventurous.

As for being "locked in a room" due to our work being classified, that is not at all accurate. We DO work in classified facilities that have very strict security policies, but you would be working with almost every other CT branch as well as other services. Every CT branch does highly classified work, but once your inside the secure facility, typically it's not toooo segregated. The only time you would be moved off separate somewhere would be if you're working a pretty sensitive mission (and that is pretty rare and usually requires alot of experience before you would get moved there). If you do end up taking orders for Aircrew or as direct support to ships or subs, that would be one of the times you're segregated from most folks. Mostly just due to the fact that your workspace needs a security clearance that most of the other people there won't have. But outside of your workspace, you would be with the rest of the crew.

Hope that sheds some light on CTI! It's a pretty rewarding job if you like getting into a specific culture and it does offer some really cool opportunities if you're willing to go after them.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Also, no I'm not related to a Tony haha
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
lilyputian

lilyputian is on a distinguished road

Wow, thank you so much for all the info! I'm glad to know my BS meter is still intact. It was definitely going off when my friend was telling me the reasons I shouldn't go for CTI. It sounds perfect for me since I'm not super thrilled about the idea of being at sea (though of course I wouldn't mind, since I obviously voluntarily selected the Navy).
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #11
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

I've read as a CTT you can volunteer for Aircrew. How does that process work and did you ever think about doing it? So you know much about CTR? Boring, exciting, cool? Any of those things?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

coopdeville:

As a T brancher you can absolutely volunteer for Aircrew. A few shipmates of mine went that route and they absolutely love it. You would request it either from the detailer or someone at the schoolhouse while you're in A-School.

As for CTR, the main difference between our rates is that CTT's focus on Electronic Intelligence (ELINT, AKA radars on ships, subs, aircraft, and missiles) where CTR's are more focused on Communications Intelligence (COMINT, radios and such). Both play HUGE roles in the intelligence community. I would say CTR's have a bit more flexibility in terms of different kinds of possible billets they can take, but if you're looking at aircrew, CTT would be the way to go. The only reason I say this is because as a CTT you would actually be part of the squadron whereas a CTR just shows up to fly when they're needed and aren't attached to the squadron fulltime.

Hope that helps and let me know if you need anything else!

/r
CTT1
Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Just to piggyback on the CTT aircrew question... if you pick up orders, you'll have to attend Naval Aircrew Candidate School in Pensacola, and SERE in either Maine or San Diego. Take a look at what's in store for both those schools to make sure you're up for the physical and swimming requirements.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
coopdeville

coopdeville is on a distinguished road

I love that you have to go to SERE and NACCS to become Aircrew. I'm currently at 8:40 in the 500m, 67 push ups, 81 sit ups and 6 pull ups. I've been working my booty off in the off chance I have the opportunity for Aircrew, or CTR and volunteer for it. I want to be more than ready if the chance presents itself.

I first met with my recruiter in March weighing 217 and I could barely knock out 25 push up and sit-ups. I'm now down to 190 with the numbers previously mentioned. I'm taking my opportunity to join the Navy very seriously and I can't wait to serve.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Coop;

GOOD! I knew a guy with a VERY similar story. He wasn't in shape at all before he joined and by the time both of us hit the fleet, that dude was a BEAST (oh and he obviously passed Aircrew school with flying colors)

If you want it bad enough then you'll put the work in to get it. It doesn't sound like that's a hard thing for you to wrap your head around. I'm sure you'll do great, just keep it up.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #16
jody13

Hi ctt1.. its jody 13. I mentioned last week that my daughter is a ctt. She leaves Sept 8. I've read everything I could find about the rate on the whole internet. Not much out there. I guess because it's mostly secret. Is there anything u can say about it. It seems interesting. Will she mostly be at sea. Any certain ship more than another. I would love any info. Thanks

Last edited by jody13; 07-08-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Jody;

First of all, congratulations again to your daughter for deciding to join the World's Finest Navy (and picking a badass rate as well!)

As CTT's we are responsible for a whole range of activities both ashore and afloat. Afloat we work everything from battlespace awareness (ie, find and watch the bad guys before they find us), Anti-Ship Missile Defense (ASMD), and everything that encompasses Electronic Warfare. On the shore duty side we work in national intelligence positions that work to help support Navy and national missions. Where your daughter gets stationed (ship or shore) will mostly just depend on the needs of the Navy at the time she is picking orders.

As far as certain ships, pretty much every combat ship in the fleet has CTTs onboard. DDGs, CGs, LHD, CVN, you name it and we're probably there in some form or fashion. The great thing about that fact is that CTTs have a serious opportunity to see the world due to the fact we can go almost anywhere the Navy can take you.

Another thing you should keep in mind however is the highly classified nature of our work. Your daughter won't be able to discuss what she does on a daily basis, where she might be going during deployments, or what shes learning about in class. But even without all the specifics, she'll still be able to share most of her Navy career with you, so don't worry. Just be mindful of what you're putting out there on facebook or social media about where and what your daughter is doing. The old saying "Loose lips sink ships" is just as true today than it ever was. Now that your daughter is entering the military and the intelligence community, it becomes a whole family effort to maintain OPSEC (Operational Security/Do some google searches on that one).

Hope that helps some! Let me know if you have further questions. I'll try to go deeper into detain on specifics if I can (obviously just the unclassified stuff)

/r
CTT1
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
triggz710

triggz710 is on a distinguished road

Any input on CTN?
triggz710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Trigz;

CTN's are the Navy's Cyber Warfare and Security experts. If you're into Cyber Security, then this is the rate for you. Keep in mind however that this rating requires a Top Secret security clearance. So talk to your recruiter and make sure this is something you're comfortable/able to apply for.

CTN's, like almost all the other CT branches will attend A-school at Corry Station in Pensacola, Florida (Best A-school location in the Navy if you ask me). You will go through a program known as JCAC, which from what I hear is quite challenging. It's not impossible to pass, but it's not something you breeze through. After A-school, some Sailors will head to further schools (C-schools) while others go to the Fleet.

As a whole, CTN's are mostly a shore-based rate. You will work in large faculties that support intelligence and security objectives in the Cyber realm. There are a few chances to get aboard ships for things like security audits on Navy networks, but for the most part you're going to be a shore-based Sailor. Even if you aren't going to sea however, you're still going to be plenty engaged doing some badass stuff (obviously nothing that can be discussed here). Overall, I have yet to meet a CTN that didn't waste an opportunity to tell me how much they loved their job.

I do want to add a something to the whole majority shore duty thing though. There ARE opportunities to do some badass stuff as a CT in Spec-Ops, and that would be in TIO. One of the admins left a good little post up about TIO if a desk job just isn't enough for you (see URL below). Keep in mind though that information on this program will be scarce, as everything TIO does is highly classified. And also realize that you're going to be held to the same physical standards that other Spec-Ops guys are. Below is the URL for that post.
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049

Hopefully that sheds a little bit of light on the rating for ya! Let me know if you have further questions.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I also forgot to add how insanely marketable CTN Sailors are after their military service. Those guys rack up a TON of Cyber Security experience as well as all kinds of certifications. Finding a job after the Navy is not a problem at all for these guys.

So if a 20-year Navy career isn't in the cards for you, at least you would be on a great track for your civilian career afterwards!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #21
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Glad to see some future spooks staying proactive! I was a little unsure on what the response to this thread would be.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
triggz710

triggz710 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. I'm already in DEP, leaving in October. The only thing that worries me about my rate is that it seems to have limited travel opportunities. But I'll take advantage of whichever ones do come my way.
triggz710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #23
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz710 View Post
Thank you. I'm already in DEP, leaving in October. The only thing that worries me about my rate is that it seems to have limited travel opportunities. But I'll take advantage of whichever ones do come my way.
It's true the CTNs do travel a bit less than the other rates, but you guys get to get hands on some with some seriously badass stuff (that 95% of the Navy will have no idea about). I really think you're going to enjoy it.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road

I just passed my DLAB with a 128 and switched from a MC contract to CTI, which is what I originally wanted. Thank you for all of this info! I have one quick question, as someone who is new to all of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
There are some opportunities for linguists to get on Aircrew or direct support to ships or subs as well though, if your looking for something more adventurous.
Can you elaborate on this? From my understanding, direct support means flying out to a ship or sub to do some work for a few weeks, then transferring to another ship or getting sent back home. I've also been warned that I could be sent out with a group of Marines as an interpreter, based on my language.

How do out-of-office missions work? Is that what you refer to as "billets?" Do you sign up for particular missions or DIRSUP activity on an individual basis? I'm just trying to piece it all together.

Again, thank you!
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnosky View Post
I just passed my DLAB with a 128 and switched from a MC contract to CTI, which is what I originally wanted. Thank you for all of this info! I have one quick question, as someone who is new to all of this:

Can you elaborate on this? From my understanding, direct support means flying out to a ship or sub to do some work for a few weeks, then transferring to another ship or getting sent back home. I've also been warned that I could be sent out with a group of Marines as an interpreter, based on my language.

How do out-of-office missions work? Is that what you refer to as "billets?" Do you sign up for particular missions or DIRSUP activity on an individual basis? I'm just trying to piece it all together.

Again, thank you!
jbarnosky;

You're pretty much spot on with what DIRSUP (Direct Support) entails. You would be stationed at a shore site but you would go to sea (or go fly) based on mission requirements of the fleet. Typically they would just have you on station during the times you would actually be needed and then send you back home once your part of the mission is done.

As far as what a billet is, that's basically what you're referring to when you say "orders". When you receive orders you going there to fill a billet. Think of a billet like a position within that group. For example if a ship needed an IT1, there would be a billet made there that an IT1 could come fill.

To go DIRSUP would you need to get orders to a specific shop that does DIRSUP work. For ships and subs I'm not sure if CTIs need extra schools or not, but for everyone that wants to go Aircrew they have to attend Aircrew school in Pensacola as well as SERE. Once you finish A-school this is all stuff you would talk to your schoolhouse and the detailer about.

And about you going out with Marines? I think you have some bad information from someone. The Marines have their own linguists. Although if you do want to go boots on ground, there are CTI specific opportunities to do that through the TIO (Spec Ops/NSW) program. But worry about that after you get through A-school and everything haha NSW (Naval Special Warfare) usually only takes guys with some experience under their belts.

Hopefully that clears some things up! Let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully we can be welcoming you into our spooky brotherhood soon!

/r
CTT1
Old 07-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road

Thank you, CTT1 Griffin!

It was actually an active-duty Marine who called me (our wives are good friends) when he found out I was joining the Navy, warning me that they borrow Navy people for all sorts of things. He may have been referring to World Language Specialists, though... we didn't get to talk very long, so I'm a little unclear on what exactly his reservations were.

I'm cool with Pensacola, and honestly I was (mentally) prepared for SERE when I was contemplating the Air Force's "Airborne Linguist" job. I'm not trying to sound BA by any means, but really I don't understand what everyone's big fuss about this job is. I'm excited to tackle all of the new challenges. This is like signing up for a marathon: training is going to be hard as hell, but I can't wait to see the man I've become at the end of it all.

Again, many thanks! I'll be spooking about before too long.

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #27
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

J,

The Marines love to borrow Sailors for all kinds of things. But I think your buddy is a little ill-informed. Taking a Navy linguist would be a last resort for them, as the MC has its own language MOS as well as a small army of contractors that specialize in various languages.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #28
jody13

Hi ctt1
Thanks so much for the info. Ur so awesome for all the info u give everyone. I'm so excited for my daughter. Her decision to join the Navy came out of no where. She's a maui girl and it seemed scarey at first but I'm really happy she will serve our great country and do something unique. She wants me to join with her. Lol. Will this rate provide her opportunities after her 4 years if she doesn't continue in the Navy. Her uncle works as a civilian for the Navy but had a different rate. Can she become an officer later on without a degree. . Thanks again..jody
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #29
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody13 View Post
Hi ctt1
Thanks so much for the info. Ur so awesome for all the info u give everyone. I'm so excited for my daughter. Her decision to join the Navy came out of no where. She's a maui girl and it seemed scarey at first but I'm really happy she will serve our great country and do something unique. She wants me to join with her. Lol. Will this rate provide her opportunities after her 4 years if she doesn't continue in the Navy. Her uncle works as a civilian for the Navy but had a different rate. Can she become an officer later on without a degree. . Thanks again..jody
Jody,

Any branch of CT is in great position to obtain a federal job after their service. Our security clearance alone can be worth $50,000 to $100,000 to a potential employer (as in, they won't have to pay that much for a civilian to obtain a clearance). So yes, job prospects shouldn't be too hard.

As far as becoming an officer without a degree? The only ways that happen are if she were to go Limited Duty Officer (LDO) or Chief Warrant Officer (CWO). Both of which however require years and experience as a sailor (CWO specifically you have to make Chief before you're eligible). These would be moves she would be making around the 10-13 year mark in the Navy (each Sailor is different however)

NAVPERS15627-A and OPNAVINST 1420.1B both give an overview of what these programs entail.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #30
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Where are my future Spooks?!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #31
jody13

Hi ctt1.. Thanks again. .I guess I'm getting ahead of myself about the officer question. I looked on the ship date schedule and there's only 3 for the year on this site going in as a ctt. . From my investigation on line the past few months there aren't too many of u spooks. . How long have u been in the Navy. . Its it true if the kid gets stationed in the east coast that would take her to Europe. She's panicking that she'll get stationed in Hawaii. . Lol. . She's trying to leave here. And doesn't really want to go to Asia. .
Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #32
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody13 View Post
Hi ctt1.. Thanks again. .I guess I'm getting ahead of myself about the officer question. I looked on the ship date schedule and there's only 3 for the year on this site going in as a ctt. . From my investigation on line the past few months there aren't too many of u spooks. . How long have u been in the Navy. . Its it true if the kid gets stationed in the east coast that would take her to Europe. She's panicking that she'll get stationed in Hawaii. . Lol. . She's trying to leave here. And doesn't really want to go to Asia. .
Jody,

As far as going to Europe, you're correct in assuming that the East Coast fleet is what will take you there. There are also ships stationed in Rota, Spain (DDGs), so I would try and see if she can request orders over there if Europe is something shes's really interested in. And even if she doesn't get everything she wants on that first tour, you can always pick shore duty in Europe after you wrap up your first sea tour.

I wouldn't stress about getting sent to Hawaii if she's not trying to get it though. It doesn't have as many surface ships as the other bases and there's also a few thousand sailors who would love to take those orders if she doesn't. They aren't exactly hurting for people over there haha

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 07-16-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #33
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Reposting for visibility purposes.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #34
jr805

jr805 is on a distinguished road

Any info on ctm? that's the rate i'm seriously interested in.
jr805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #35
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr805 View Post
Any info on ctm? that's the rate i'm seriously interested in.
I'm gonna steal a nice little blurb from another Spook on here since it's already all nice and pretty looking.

Before that though, keep in mind that CTM is a very small rate. There are very few of them in the fleet. If being technical and getting into the gear is something you're really interested in then also take a look into being a Tech as a CTT (theres a difference between operators and techs). You just want to keep your options open in case CTM is locked up (again, due to its small size).
There's still plenty of opportunity to get your hands dirty in the gear and still get to operate it as a T-brancher. The equipment CTM's work on is operated by CTR's (M-branchers just fix and maintain it). So there's that as well.

Anyway, read below...

CTM -
The Cryptologic Technician Maintenance branch offers a career in the installation, configuration, diagnosis, and repair of state-of-the-art electronic, computer, and network hardware and software systems.

The duties performed by CTMs include:
perform hardware and software isolation and repair of state-of-the-art electronic, computer and network equipment and related systems using complex test and analysis equipment, diagnostic software, hand tools and technical publications;
perform computer and electronic system hardware and software installation, configuration and modification;
analyze the configuration and monitor the operation of computer telecommunications and networking systems;
calibrate and repair a wide variety of precision electronic test equipment;
perform information security and computer network defense functions for secure networks and communication systems;
maintain fleet cryptologic permanent and carry-on direct support systems required in special land, sea surface and subsurface operations.
Working Environment

CTM are assigned to equipment installation activities, electronic maintenance, and computer networking system departments and divisions. They may be assigned to either day work or shift work in a large facility or one of the individual or two-person independent duty assignments at sea or ashore. Departments and divisions are usually divided into specialized maintenance shops and are normally air-conditioned, well-lighted, and completely equipped.

A-School (Job School) Information
Corry Station, FL -- 121 calendar days
Security Clearance Requirement: Top Secret (Single Scope Background Investigation Required)

Other Requirements
Must have normal hearing
Must have normal color perception
72 month enlistment obligation
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Immediate family members must be U.S. Citizens
Moral turpitude offense(s) are generally disqualifying
Personal security screening interview required
Former members of the Peace Corps are not eligible
Candidates must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED, CPT, home study or other equivalency). If not a diploma graduate, applicant must provide a high school transcript verifying successful completion of the 10th grade.
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
First Sea Tour: 48 months
First Shore Tour: 36 months
Second Sea Tour: 36months
Second Shore Tour: 36 months
Third Sea Tour: 36 months
Third Shore Tour: 48 months
Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
Forth Shore Tour: 48 months
CTM's are detailed according to billet and relief availability. Most PCS afloat tours are 48 months for those with NECS of 9224, 9225, and 9289. CTM 9229 requires 60 months of sea duty obligation following initial skills training.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #36
jr805

jr805 is on a distinguished road

I'll have to read up on that aspect of CTT, I havent really gave it much thought, CTR and CTM are my first choices, Have you had much experience with any people in IS rates?
jr805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #37
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr805 View Post
I'll have to read up on that aspect of CTT, I havent really gave it much thought, CTR and CTM are my first choices, Have you had much experience with any people in IS rates?
About CTR/CTM, just remember this...
CTR's operate the gear.
CTM's fix and maintain it.
As we say in the fleet: "choose your rate, choose your fate"

While the CT community covers the Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) side of the house, IS's cover the more traditional intelligence side. These guys work mostly on shore sites, but there are a few attached to ships as well. They'll cover mostly what we call "All-source" intelligence. They get the big picture of things like historical trends in the area, politics, ect. Think of it kind of like a jack of all trades/master of none. IS's also do a lot of briefs for various folks as well. So keep in mind that power point and public speaking can play a big role in their career.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #38
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Seeing a lot of CT-related questions both on the chat and in my inbox.

Let me know what you guys want to find out!

(PS you may need to check if this becomes multiple pages, as the newest posts are actually at the bottom)

/r
CTT1
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #39
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Seeing a lot of CT-related questions both on the chat and in my inbox.

Let me know what you guys want to find out!

(PS you may need to check if this becomes multiple pages, as the newest posts are actually at the bottom)

/r
CTT1
Or click the little red down arrow to jump to the last unread post

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Or click the little red down arrow to jump to the last unread post

You and your fancy education ;)

Just kidding, Ma'am!! Thanks for the heads up haha

V/r
CTT1
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #41
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You and your fancy education ;)

Just kidding, Ma'am!! Thanks for the heads up haha

V/r
CTT1
That's what they pay me the big bucks for

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #42
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
That's what they pay me the big bucks for
Hey now, that's my line!!

V/r
CTT1
Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #43
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

What degree would you recommend to compliment a CTR to better himself for a civilian job?
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #44
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
What degree would you recommend to compliment a CTR to better himself for a civilian job?
It depends on what you want to do as a civillian. If you want to stay within that CTR type of role, then you're going to be looking pretty much at federal work. So specializing in any kind of electronics (understand further how comms equipment works) or even going into networking or computer engineering would be a big plus. The biggest plus for you though will be having a clearance already and having intelligence experience. The degree will just be a formality mostly unless you plan on doing something super specific.

If you're going to do something else then really all you need is something oriented to your new field.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #45
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

How often do you get requests to leave the navy to join a civilian job. My recruiter talks about head hunters that go after people in the navy that have security clearances and different types of qualifications like they are a monthly thing.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #46
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
How often do you get requests to leave the navy to join a civilian job. My recruiter talks about head hunters that go after people in the navy that have security clearances and different types of qualifications like they are a monthly thing.
It depends where you work. If you're at a shore site that you're constantly surrounded by civilian contractors, then its fairly common as you come up on the end of your contract. Since these are the guys you've been working with anyway, it makes sense for those companies to do that rather than hire and train someone new.

If you're on a ship or at a squadron, then typically you will need to go looking for them, as you have less civilian exposure.

There are plenty of places online to put your resume though if you're looking for a job that requires clearance. Those are great places to look as well as just using your own network of contacts that you'll pick up.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #47
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Are the salaries they offer competitive?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #48
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Are the salaries they offer competitive?
Contractor jobs pay pretty well depending on what you're doing. Don't expect something ridiculous like 6 figures to start off or anything. But having military experience and a clearance, then going contractor, and working your way up (like a normal civilian company) can end up paying quite a bit after a few years on the job. It only goes up the longer you stay and the more experience and qualifications you have.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #49
jody13

Hi ctt1.. My daughter got in trouble the other day at a meeting for using the term spook. . Kinda strange because everyone uses it? ?? She's leaving in 27 days. I'm freaking out. Should I go to Chicago for graduation. .I don't know how to plan to see her. . Hawaii is so far away. It's not easy or cheap to make lady minute plans. . Do they tell her things ahead of time enough for me to plan. Thanks again, jody 13
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #50
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Is it easy or hard to make rate in the CTR field? In theory, if people are constantly getting contractor jobs, wouldn't that make it easier because it frees up spots? Or does it just not work out like that?

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt