NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Firemen (Snipes) > HT = HULL MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default More HT rating info stuff...

Hull Maintenance Technician (HT)

Hull Maintenance Technicians are responsible for maintaining ships' hulls,fittings, piping systems and machinery. They install and maintain all shipboard and shore based plumbing and piping systems. They look after a vessel's safety and survival equipment and perform many tasks related to damage control.

Hull Technician (HT's) do the metal work necessary to keep all types of shipboard structures and surfaces in good condition. They also maintain shipboard plumbing and marine sanitation systems, repair small boats, operate and maintain ballast control systems, and manage the Quality Assurance Program.

The duties performed by HTs include:
  • installing, maintaining and repairing valves, piping, plumbing system fittings and fixtures, and marine sanitation systems.
  • repairing decks, structures and hulls by welding, brazing, riveting and caulking;
  • examining, testing welds and various shipboard structures; using radiological, ultrasonic and magnetic particle testing equipment.
  • fabricating with light and heavy gauge metal such as aluminum, stainless steel, sheet copper and brass, steel, sheet and corrugated iron;
  • heat treating, hot and cold forming of metals;
  • pipe cutting, threading and assembly;
  • repairing installed ventilation ducting;
  • repairing metal, wood and fiberglass boats;
  • installing and repairing insulation and lagging;
  • operating marine sanitation systems
Working Environment
Hull Technicians work in a variety of situations at sea and ashore. Sometimes their work is performed indoors in a shop environment. Other times it may be performed outdoors, frequently at sea and in all kinds of climates and weather conditions. They may work in noisy environments on some assignments. USN HT's are stationed primarily aboard USN deploying ships. Full time support (FTS) HT's are stationed aboard Naval Reserve Force (NRF) ships that deploy or conduct local operations.

A-School (Job School) Information
Great Lakes, IL -- 8 weeks

Security Clearance Requirement: Secret

Other Requirements
  • Must have normal color perception
  • Must have normal hearing (see below)
  • Must be a U.S. Citizen
Normal hearing required. Frequencies: 3000hz 4000hz 5000hz 6000hz Average hearing threshold level in these four frequencies must be less than 30db, with no level greater than 45db in any one frequency. If hearing level exceeds these limits, the applicant is enlistment ineligible for the rating.

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
  • First Sea Tour: 54 months
  • First Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Second Sea Tour: 54 months
  • Second Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Third Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Third Shore Tour: 36 months
  • Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
  • Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

** Note: The Navy has announced a merger of the DC, HT, and MR ratings into Repair Technician (RT), but the merger is pending as no timeline has been announced.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
FutureSailor24

FutureSailor24 is on a distinguished road

Will i have my first sea tour right after i finish A School and arrive at my first duty station? Also according to the sheet that I was given at MEPS when I joined in May 2013, one part of A School is 9 weeks and the other part is 5 weeks, totaling 14 weeks in Great Lakes.
FutureSailor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Your first duty station will be your first sea tour, yes. You'll be assigned there for 54 months, then it'll be time for shore duty at a different station.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
FutureSailor24

does a sea tour mean that i will then be deployed on a ship? what exactly is a sea tour? other than the obvious part of being at sea.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NP...DutyCodes.aspx

Summary: Everything's classified (broadly) as sea duty or shore duty for the purposes of the rotation. Your first station will be something that is considered sea duty, which usually (though not always) means a ship that goes on deployments every so often.

You seem to be confusing the term "sea tour" with "deployment". A sea tour is a period during which you're assigned to a sea duty station. A deployment is when your ship leaves home port for several months.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
FutureSailor24

Will I be living on the ship when it is in port during my sea duty or will i live in the barracks?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

It depends on where you're stationed and if there is room in the barracks.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
FutureSailor24

Would my odds of getting to live in the barracks be greater at a bigger base such as Norfolk or San Diego?