NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTI = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN INTERPRETIVE

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Makinna

Makinna is on a distinguished road
Default DLI Languages

Hey, I just (painstakingly) got approved to switch to CTI from Nuke. I have about 5 years of German study and 1 year of Russian. I don't even think German is currently offered, and I wouldn't want it anyway. Is it possible to be assigned Russian with a 154 DLAB even though it's only Cat III?

Are there Cat IV languages that people seem to prefer/be happier studying over others in regards to homework, instructors, curriculum, etc.? I've heard that Korean/Chinese tends to require the most homework. I know that at RTC there will only be certain available languages (needs of the Navy), and of those the CTIs in my div will be assigned according to DLAB/preference. Are there certain languages that make one more likely to get an opportunity to receive a dirsup/aircrew/sub billet?

Thanks!
Makinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Technically, all new accessions should have CAT IV eligible scores (although I suspect there's still some waivers), but there will still be CAT I and III slots that need to be filled. Definitely possible, although Russian is one of the smaller languages, so a lot will depend on availability.

Honestly, while Chinese/Korean do get a lot of homework, I'd still recommend Chinese over any of the other Cat IVs. The curriculum is better/DLPT pass rates are higher.

As far as deploying billets go - yes, some languages have more billets and others may not have any for a specific type. The CTI liaison at RTC will know the details.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cti, dli, language, rtc