NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC) > NUKE = NUCLEAR POWER FIELD

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
futurenuke

futurenuke is on a distinguished road
Default nukes in boot camp

So i am currently in dep waiting to ship out, september 4th, and i was reading some stuff on this site about boot camp and the process nukes go through.
And i saw a bunch of stuff about nukes getting more medical screenings. I just want to know why are they getting screened? Is there some physical requirement i haven't been made aware of?

Can someone help me out?
futurenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Yes, you receive extra medical screening during bootcamp. Sometime during week 1, and again in week 3, you will go over to the clinic to receive a special physical. They x-ray your chest and check you over to make sure they trust your health enough to let you stand watch on a Nuclear Reactor. If you are a sub-vol, you will receive a few extra tests to make sure you are cleared to be on a sub. I don't remember the specific things they look for.

You will also receive some extra shots on 5-2 day including Polio, Yellow Fever, and a special Hep-B shot in addition to your second dose of the peanut butter shot.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
scipafricanus

scipafricanus is on a distinguished road

do you have any idea what kind of tests they do for submarine volunteers. I'm just curious. Is it psychological to see how you would deal with living in confined spaces.
scipafricanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

I am a sub vol, and I have yet to take any psych eval's as far as I know. I believe you take those sometime while you are in Prototype before you receive your first set of real orders. As far as I know, the only thing different about sub physicals for nukes is you can't have taken some types of medication (some strong antibiotics and pain killers) and you must be under the height limit (6"4 I believe). A full list of medical qualifications can be found in the Navy Medical Manual which can be found here.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Guy View Post
I am a sub vol, and I have yet to take any psych eval's as far as I know. I believe you take those sometime while you are in Prototype before you receive your first set of real orders. As far as I know, the only thing different about sub physicals for nukes is you can't have taken some types of medication (some strong antibiotics and pain killers) and you must be under the height limit (6"4 I believe). A full list of medical qualifications can be found in the Navy Medical Manual which can be found here.
Actually, there is no height limit. I had a guy that was 6'8" who was a MT, and he wanted subs. God knows why. He would have to always be bending down, except if he's on a Trident sub. He got it, and went to subs.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Jnewman16

Jnewman16 is on a distinguished road

My brothers leading ELT was 6 foot 8... I was amazed that he volunteered for subs
Jnewman16 is offline   Reply With Quote