NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road
Default A rather stupid question

I apologize in advance but here goes nothing...I'm engaged have been since before MEPS; I was obviously given the whole don't get married while in DEP breakdown. Which is why our wedding has been pushed back...My question is this, am I permitted to wear my engagement ring while at RTC or will they make me leave it at home???
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Wear it, worse case scenario is your RDC will make you put it in your drawer. Most don't care. Say it's a wedding ring if you want.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

They usually let you wear it. I personally would keep it locked up though. It would be VERY easy to lose it somewhere. If you do lose it, you're pretty much SOL too

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I would only bring/wear a plain band.
In fact that's what I do on the ship. I have a plain band for work and my "real" ring on the weekends.
It's just too easy to lose or break.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Qalo.com best rings ever.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the advice guys! Losing it would be completely unacceptable, so maybe I'll leave it home...would we be required to take them off at all should I choose to bring it? I don't see any instance when I would be removing it...
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach4USN View Post
Thank you for the advice guys! Losing it would be completely unacceptable, so maybe I'll leave it home...would we be required to take them off at all should I choose to bring it? I don't see any instance when I would be removing it...
There are times, not necessarily at boot camp, but in the navy in general you will have to take it off for safety issues. That's why Qalo rings are recommended. They aren't metal, so won't remove the skin from your hand in an accident.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road

I want to volunteer for something in boot camp. Is this a good idea? If yes what are good jobs to volunteer for
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #9
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I want to volunteer for something in boot camp. Is this a good idea? If yes what are good jobs to volunteer for
Try making a new thread for that instead of derailing this one

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
MickeyMcD

MickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to beholdMickeyMcD is a splendid one to behold

The only times you'll be required to take it off are for swim quals, FF applications and something else...can't recall exactly what. But as long as it's not loose like mine (or worst case, becomes loose because you lost 14 lbs there!!!) was, you should be good to wear it. As far as the whole not getting married in DEP breakdown....your recruiters are being damn lazy. I got married in DEP and there was no problem getting the paper trail handled, making it happen and getting that BAH/FSA pay while at basic (trust me...it's nice knowing you're raking in $1,000+ more than the other guys in your div) and your spouse will love that extra bit of income too. Now...that's not to say you can do it whenever during DEP. In general, don't let anything that would be considered "life altering" (marriage, divorce, children, etc) happen within 3 months of shipping because there's no guarantee that the paperwork will process in time and then you'll lose your contract. BUT if you're outside the 3 month window, there's no reason you can't go ahead and do a legal marriage to get the paperwork out of the way and do the big white wedding on your own terms. There's no reason your recruiter won't get the paperwork rolling at that point unless they're just lazy.
Graduated RTC: 20150529 194/13
MickeyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote