NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Seaman (SN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
redsoxfan1001

redsoxfan1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Delay enlisted yesterday, SEA PACT, some questions

i scored a 84 on my asvab, my dream job even popped up on the board (MC). But command had given an order not to give that job out. So after being possibly the most difficult recruit and having every job that popped up then finding out it wasn't available anymore, i was reduced to 4 options. Hull maintenance of some sort, cook, machinist mate or SEA PACT, as i selected. I had been up to meps a couple of times so i was thinking screw it, i want to sign today. Now i submitting a DAR (we'll see how that goes, judging by what I've read on here) and Im hopping to get ET. BUT I'm pretty content with being on a sub. So anything besides machinist mate or cook on a sub is what I'm looking for hopefully ET or MT...

my ship date is june of 2015

So my questions

1.) What is the true chances of getting out of SEA PACT and into a Sub (since they dont seem to be a desirable way to go from what my recruiter has said)

2.) How quickly can you get out of sea pact while in, into a real rate

3.) I can ask my recruiter this but can you ask for multiple jobs on a DAR

I seriously can't believe I'm in this situation, i had thought i had set myself up enough to be in a good situation, yet i get nothing to select from...

BUT if i dont get it, ill have to man up and do the job best as possible.

Last edited by redsoxfan1001; 12-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
redsoxfan1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan1001 View Post
I seriously can't believe I'm in this situation, i had thought i had set myself up enough to be in a good situation, yet i get nothing to select from...

BUT if i dont get it, ill have to man up and do the job best as possible.
I am sort of in the same situation as you my friend. In fact I dep'd in yesterday and literally had the same jobs available to me, and I scored an 85 on the ASVAB. My advice to you would be do the best of your ability at basic, and there after if you are 'stuck' with the PACT. Be the best sailor imaginable to the best of your ability and strike for a rate after seeing the day-to-day of many rates through the PACT program. Keep your head up! It isn't the end of the world
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
redsoxfan1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyboy View Post
I am sort of in the same situation as you my friend. In fact I dep'd in yesterday and literally had the same jobs available to me, and I scored an 85 on the ASVAB. My advice to you would be do the best of your ability at basic, and there after if you are 'stuck' with the PACT. Be the best sailor imaginable to the best of your ability and strike for a rate after seeing the day-to-day of many rates through the PACT program. Keep your head up! It isn't the end of the world
Thanks man, kinda hard to when all i see is how bad the program is in threads. Just crossing my fingers the DAR works out for me..

swore in yesterday also.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Mavyboy

Yeah I know what you mean, I've done quite a lot of thread surfing and have found the same negative responses. I have also found a lot of super positive ones, but no 'meh it was alright' threads!

The main question I asked myself was do I want to be in the Navy? Of course the answer was yes and out of those jobs you listed SN seemed to be the best suited for me.
I hope your DAR works out for you but if not, just keep an open mind, every job in the Navy is an absolute necessity. Either way we all make the same pay too!!! (for the most part)

I went to the MEPS in St. Louis btw
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
redsoxfan1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavyboy View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, I've done quite a lot of thread surfing and have found the same negative responses. I have also found a lot of super positive ones, but no 'meh it was alright' threads!

The main question I asked myself was do I want to be in the Navy? Of course the answer was yes and out of those jobs you listed SN seemed to be the best suited for me.
I hope your DAR works out for you but if not, just keep an open mind, every job in the Navy is an absolute necessity. Either way we all make the same pay too!!! (for the most part)

I went to the MEPS in St. Louis btw
I was up at Boston. I agree, all jobs are a necessity, I just really dont want to end up as a BM haha. Ive heard its a lot of hard work to become something other than that. Guess we'll see haha. Good luck to you, when do you leave? My date in June 3rd
Old 12-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

There's no such thing as the true chance for a DAR, it's impossible to predict.

From what I've heard, the only rates you can get easily as PACT are rates like BM, GM, YN etc which every ship has and which don't actually need to go to A school because they can learn it on the ship. Anything else (especially subs, since their training pipeline is pretty long) is going to take a couple years before your ship will let you go.

You can put as many rates as you want on a DAR.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Mavyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan1001 View Post
I was up at Boston. I agree, all jobs are a necessity, I just really dont want to end up as a BM haha. Ive heard its a lot of hard work to become something other than that. Guess we'll see haha. Good luck to you, when do you leave? My date in June 3rd
I too do not feel I would be right for the BM rate. I leave April 8th. 20150408
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #8
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of
Default GM

Would it be better to have gone PACT-SN and strike hope for a GM or be declared some rating and submit a DAR for GM? I too am wanting this rating.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #9
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Kixs View Post
Would it be better to have gone PACT-SN and strike hope for a GM or be declared some rating and submit a DAR for GM? I too am wanting this rating.
never rely on DAR, never rely on actually striking for the rate you want via PACT either. It doesn't work the way the recruiter tells you it does.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

How many years active duty is for being a PACT-SN or PACT in general? Does that include the one year wait before striking a job or going to an A school? PACT SN sounds like a nice rating
Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How many years active duty is for being a PACT-SN or PACT in general? Does that include the one year wait before striking a job or going to an A school? PACT SN sounds like a nice rating
PACT contracts are 4 years... this would only get extended if you strike for a rating that requires a contract extension.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Just4Kixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
PACT contracts are 4 years... this would only get extended if you strike for a rating that requires a contract extension.
I hope what you mean by requiring a contract extension are push-button ratings. Other than that, PACT-SN sounds perfect right now in my situation. Thanks!!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #13
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope what you mean by requiring a contract extension are push-button ratings. Other than that, PACT-SN sounds perfect right now in my situation. Thanks!!
Highly unlikely to strike into something that would require an extension. Again, I don't recommend PACT program, pick something before you ship, it saves a lot of headaches later on.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote