NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 09-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
jenn

jenn is on a distinguished road
Question List of toiletries for females?? eyebrow issues -_-

Does anyone know what the list of female toiletries are?

I know stupid question but I just want to know cause I have bushy eyebrows not now but when I was younger I did now that I have found wax it's much better but if I don't do something with them for a week or more I'll have some pretty hairy eyebrows and I really don't want to be singled out and picked on for my eyebrow issues so I figured I could just shave them until I can wax again. I know stupid insecurity but it's an issue for me.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

if that's the biggest concern for you about boot camp, I think you're going to be fine ;)

The toiletries for females really don't differ at all from the males. You'll get a different razor and shaving cream, but I think that's about it. In fact, for the first few weeks the only thing you'll be able to wash your hair with is Lever 2000 (ugh).

I would recommend waxing before you leave and then either finding another girl that can thread (using the dental floss you'll get) or using the finger nail clippers to 'trim' your brows. Those were the only two options we could come up with. Of course, you could always use your razor and shave them as well. Whatever you end up doing, do it after taps and DON'T let your RDCs see it.

And if worse comes to worse and they make fun of you for your eyebrows, just know that the girl next to you will be getting made fun of something equally as embarrassing. Actually, you'll feel so much like scum as a recruit that eventually the insults wont bother you anymore.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
if that's the biggest concern for you about boot camp, I think you're going to be fine ;)

The toiletries for females really don't differ at all from the males. You'll get a different razor and shaving cream, but I think that's about it. In fact, for the first few weeks the only thing you'll be able to wash your hair with is Lever 2000 (ugh).

I would recommend waxing before you leave and then either finding another girl that can thread (using the dental floss you'll get) or using the finger nail clippers to 'trim' your brows. Those were the only two options we could come up with. Of course, you could always use your razor and shave them as well. Whatever you end up doing, do it after taps and DON'T let your RDCs see it.

And if worse comes to worse and they make fun of you for your eyebrows, just know that the girl next to you will be getting made fun of something equally as embarrassing. Actually, you'll feel so much like scum as a recruit that eventually the insults wont bother you anymore.

Thank you for the tips I'm just wondering when do you get to go to the store cause I figured I could get one of those little pocket mirrors and shave them or get a mirror and tweezers and pluck them in the bathroom behind the closed bathroom stall so noone can make fun of my bushy brows lol on a sunday since I heard that you get more down time on that day.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Umm . . . the bathroom stalls don't have doors. They have curtains, and at least in my div we weren't allowed to use them, although I guess that's not true of all divisions. I don't think you'd be able to get a mirror at the nex either. There might be mirrors with some of the makeup stuff, but that stuff gets locked up by the RDCs except on picture day and graduation.

Realistically it shouldn't be an issue. While there will be drama and some degree of cattiness in bootcamp, you're training to work as a team. Bullying isn't tolerated. The RDCs will get in your face if you suck at marching or talk in chow or can't run . . . but not for your appearance.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Umm . . . the bathroom stalls don't have doors. They have curtains, and at least in my div we weren't allowed to use them, although I guess that's not true of all divisions. I don't think you'd be able to get a mirror at the nex either. There might be mirrors with some of the makeup stuff, but that stuff gets locked up by the RDCs except on picture day and graduation.

Realistically it shouldn't be an issue. While there will be drama and some degree of cattiness in bootcamp, you're training to work as a team. Bullying isn't tolerated. The RDCs will get in your face if you suck at marching or talk in chow or can't run . . . but not for your appearance.
Okay. I should be okay then. Lol already know how to march from high school. Thanks, I'll try to relax about it and not let me insecurities get to me I guess I'll just have to over come it.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn View Post
Thank you for the tips I'm just wondering when do you get to go to the store cause I figured I could get one of those little pocket mirrors and shave them or get a mirror and tweezers and pluck them in the bathroom behind the closed bathroom stall so noone can make fun of my bushy brows lol on a sunday since I heard that you get more down time on that day.
You get your first NEX run a couple of weeks into training. Your RDCs will sit your division down and tell you the things you can and cannot buy, and the things you are required to buy. When you go through the check out line, your RDCs will inspect what you've bought and throw away or confiscate what you're not allowed to have. Unfortunately, mirrors and tweezers aren't on the approved list of items to buy.

It might seem like a really personal issue to you now, but you're going to find that after a couple of weeks that there's no room for modesty while at bootcamp.

I'm not sure how the RDCs could prevent you from using the curtains on the heads as jzhaun said, because at least when I was there, RDCs weren't allowed in the heads when recruits were in them.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I'm honestly not exactly sure how it started because my div had the male house, but it was established as part of our standard inspectable procedures - toilet paper at 90 degrees, curtain tucked behind the hook, no drips in the sink etc. The RDCs have leeway on stuff like that - my div's RDCs and brother div's used to tell me different things on which way the knobs were supposed to be turned in the forward hold too.

Only when I moved to RCU and this rule wasn't implemented did I realize why our div did it that way . . . in RCU people used to hide behind the curtains and sleep or avoid PT sometimes.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
elizabeth93

elizabeth93 is on a distinguished road

I realize this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to say thanks. I've been really curious about this and too emarassed to ask anyone.
elizabeth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
NavyPrincess

NavyPrincess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
I'm honestly not exactly sure how it started because my div had the male house, but it was established as part of our standard inspectable procedures - toilet paper at 90 degrees, curtain tucked behind the hook, no drips in the sink etc. The RDCs have leeway on stuff like that - my div's RDCs and brother div's used to tell me different things on which way the knobs were supposed to be turned in the forward hold too.

Only when I moved to RCU and this rule wasn't implemented did I realize why our div did it that way . . . in RCU people used to hide behind the curtains and sleep or avoid PT sometimes.

I was the head PO in RCU for a short amount of time and I was always going in there and yelling at people to get out because they were trying to avoid pt, sleep... the one time we actually caught someone sleeping in the showers. Her excuse was that she was "icing her ankle and didnt want it to get all over the floor" when everyone else was doing it. RCU was horrible, we had females deficating on the bulkhead... I learned that day that it takes over 100 females, 5 hours to clean a head to RDC standards.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPrincess View Post
I was the head PO in RCU for a short amount of time and I was always going in there and yelling at people to get out because they were trying to avoid pt, sleep... the one time we actually caught someone sleeping in the showers. Her excuse was that she was "icing her ankle and didnt want it to get all over the floor" when everyone else was doing it. RCU was horrible, we had females deficating on the bulkhead... I learned that day that it takes over 100 females, 5 hours to clean a head to RDC standards.
Yeah, that never happened while I was there, but I'm not surprised. I was LPO for most of my (2 month) stay there, so I never had to clean the head unless I was late hygiening.