NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
yozongu

yozongu is on a distinguished road
Default Volunteering in boot camp

My friend told me if I volunteer for leadership position while in boot camp and do good then I will get promoted easily. I also have a friend who went from E-1 to E-3 in boot camp. My question is that if I'm already E-3 is it worth to do anything extra? I figured something like looking good on eval and such is likely.
yozongu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

You can if you want.

But after you graduate no one will care what you did in boot camp. Also, sometimes positions are voluntold not volunteer.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozongu View Post
My friend told me if I volunteer for leadership position while in boot camp and do good then I will get promoted easily. I also have a friend who went from E-1 to E-3 in boot camp. My question is that if I'm already E-3 is it worth to do anything extra? I figured something like looking good on eval and such is likely.
I was an E-3 in boot camp and I got voluntold to be EPO. You will stand out if you know how to be responsible and follow directions, as well as carry yourself in a mature manner. The RDCs will see that, just how they did in me sadly. Then I was told to go to a yeoman brief alongside other recruits in my division in preparation for some divisional staff jobs. RDCs wanted me to be yeoman, but they forgot eventually lol, I never wanted to be YN anyway. Did I want a job? Hell no. But I had no choice, and EPO wasn't that bad. Besides, I had work experience that helped me babysit the division kids. You don't get evals and what not at boot camp. That comes later in your future command. My thoughts? Let the E-1s and E-nones get those jobs so they can be experienced and such or advance. My final RPOC (we went through 4 RPOCs) was an E-1. He passed his DEP exam AND first PFA (you must pass both to be promoted), so he got promoted to E2... then after boot camp, he got promoted again to E-3 from the RDCs because of his leadership. After boot camp, he got back paid too as an E-3 during his time in boot camp as an E-1.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
biruis

biruis is on a distinguished road

It could make life easier in bootcamp. theres a good chance to have some sour apples as leadership.
If you really want to lead, don't take a leadership position, just help your shipmates as much as possible, and try to minimize drama. Bootcamp is like having a bunch of middleschoolers in a prison.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

What you do in bootcamp will pretty much have zero to do with what happens to you in the fleet. If you're E3 already there is literally nothing that's going to do anything for you by taking some kind of extra duty while you're at RTC. It won't go on your eval and nobody in the fleet is going to care.

Not to sound callous, sorry haha Just some reality ^_^

/r
CTT1
Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

There is a chance to advance in pay grade if you get a job and do it well. That being said, if you are already an E3, let someone else have it.