NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Terryakers

Terryakers is on a distinguished road
Default Prone float

I'm a pretty big guy being 6'6 230lbs with 12% BF I got a decent amount of muscle it makes it hard to float. Anybody have some tips ?
Terryakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Relax, take deep breaths and stay still. When you need to breath use your arms a bit to stay afloat, then take another deep breath and stay still and calm.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Terryakers

Thankyou ! Do you know how strict they are ? Like if I sink a little bit immediately get back to a float do they fail me ? Does it have to be a perfect float for 5 mins straight ?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

They aren't super strict about form for the prone float. Mostly it's only people who are afraid and either refuse to put their face in the water or grab for the wall before the 5 minutes are up that fail.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

as I understand it, if you flail too much trying to stay oriented they might speak sternly to you, but other than that it will be pretty obvious you are muscle-heavy therefore denser than some of us...less-well-in-shape individuals. And unfortunately physics says you are just going to sink, nothing you can do about it except eat Twinkies.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Terryakers

Thank you both for all the info !!! Unfortunately the way the navy measures body fat is inaccurate and really says I'm obese so I can't gain any fat. If j could I would make myself into a big flotation device ��
Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

The big thing to pass is to keep your face in the water except when you breathe and to make slow relaxed movements.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Terryakers

Okay cool. Thanks everyone. I don't mind having my face in the water and won't freak out and start flailing around. I just don't float but from what I gathered as long as I don't freak out i should pass. Thanks again !
Old 04-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

I was worried about it too, but it ended up not being bad at all. I actually had my head up for quite awhile to take breaths. They really aren't strict. Just don't touch the wall pretty much. And don't make it look like you're really struggling, unless you are I suppose lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Rooster

Rooster is on a distinguished road

My rate requires a Class II swim test and this video goes over that, however, the prone float is what you'd be expected to do even if you're not taking the Class II swim test. It's towards the end of the video. It helped relieve some worries I had regarding the prone float as well because I tend to sink. But the form that the sailor does in the video actually helps. I've been swimming for months while in DEP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gIrh2xJJ5E

Last edited by Rooster; 05-03-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
futresailrfets

futresailrfets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
My rate requires a Class II swim test and this video goes over that, however, the prone float is what you'd be expected to do even if you're not taking the Class II swim test. It's towards the end of the video. It helped relieved some worries I had regretting the prone float as well because I tend to sink. But the form that the sailor does in the video actually helps. I've been swimming for months while in DEP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gIrh2xJJ5E
Thanks so much for posting this video. Made me feel much more comfortable about the prone float.
futresailrfets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Rooster

Rooster is on a distinguished road

Yup, no worries.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The thing to remember with the prone float is that your body has two natural internal flotation devices called "lungs"... take a deep breath, arch your back to put your lungs horizontal to the water's surface, and just relax. You may feel like you're sinking a bit at first, but you will float to the surface.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote