NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

This is more of a reserve related question than a CTN specific question, but I'm curious. Can a reservist fill mobilization orders outside of their rate? I mean, do they even offer those types of things? I'd be willing to scrub toilets in London if the job became available.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
This is more of a reserve related question than a CTN specific question, but I'm curious. Can a reservist fill mobilization orders outside of their rate? I mean, do they even offer those types of things? I'd be willing to scrub toilets in London if the job became available.
When they put out mobilization opportunities they will also include a list of rates/ranks they will accept to apply for them. The only ones that are typically really exclusive are any CT, spec war, or flying mobilizations (for obvious reasons).

So yes, there are opportunities to do stuff out of rate.

/r
CTT1
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Awesome! I've been married 9 years and I have two kids. I've done so much gross stuff... I'll wipe asses if I get to go to Australia. Haha! Already done it in Arkansas.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar situation as Barbazu. 33y/o joining the Reserve as a CTN. Just completed my Master's in Cyber this week and obviously already have a B.A. Decided to get a M.A. in Cyber to do a career change. I don't have a TS or any IT experience or any Certs yet so I figured now would be a perfect time to serve and have those taken care of in a career I see myself doing well in (and trying to get into).

So I'm doing a delayed entry...I am also going to put together an officer application to see if I even get selected. My question now is, if by some select chance I do get picked up for OCS, do I still get that technical training (A & C school) that I would as a CTN? I was also told (by my recruiter of course) that it's also possible that if you do well in A/C school you can begin putting together and officer package. Is that true?

Keep in mind my age, which I know is running out for officer, I guess I'm wondering how many chances I have? Also, would I get that same technical training to make myself more marketable in the civilian side as an officer as I would enlisted?
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

No, if you go to OCS, your enlisted contract is basically voided.

You can apply for a commission at any point in your career. Selection boards are held throughout the year. Some people apply many times before being selected.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
No, if you go to OCS, your enlisted contract is basically voided.

You can apply for a commission at any point in your career. Selection boards are held throughout the year. Some people apply many times before being selected.
So the age requirement is basically for anyone who has never-served and trying to get in, correct? I could be 40 and apply for OCS is what it sounds like.

Thank you Guppy.

Also, if my Officer app gets selected, I completely miss all the technical training as I would get as an enlisted CTN, correct?
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustini View Post
So the age requirement is basically for anyone who has never-served and trying to get in, correct? I could be 40 and apply for OCS is what it sounds like.

Thank you Guppy.

Also, if my Officer app gets selected, I completely miss all the technical training as I would get as an enlisted CTN, correct?
It depends on what designator you are trying for. Most designators cap the age at 35, but depending on circumstances age waivers may be available..

Correct, if you become an officer you no longer are a CTN, the only way you would get the training is if the selection process takes long enough that you are already in school, and even then, they may pull you from school dependi on your OCS date.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote