NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
gregmosu

gregmosu is on a distinguished road
Default PT exercises in boot camp???

I've posted here a few times before about the sort of PT you do at bootcamp and I'm basically trying to mimic what they do here at the house. So far, I've been doing 8 count bodybuilders, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, flutter kicks and running.

I had some recent knee trouble, so I'm kinda worried about what I might face there. I've been doing all those thing mentioned above, and have been running 2 miles a day. I timed myself the other day and got the 1.5 miles in 13 minutes.

The part that concerns me is not the activities listed above, but puting my knees directly onto hard surfaces. Kneeling down on a mat would be fine, but kneeling on a concrete floor would kill me. Are there any activities performed at BC where you're directly on your knees doing something? I watched this video and I'm now curious what it is they're doing at the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0DuVg-N1s

Thanks!
gregmosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

My division wasn't allowed to sit on our butts until after Battle Stations... all we did was sit on our knees for 7 weeks.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

It looks like they're doing push ups or planks at the very end, the camera guy just caught someone being lazy in the 'rest position' ;)

The only one-knee kneeling we did was during battlestations, and it was never for more than 3-4 minutes at a time. Usually you have the option of standing up or kneeling.

To be honest, my knees are pretty uncomfortable on hard floors too (ah to be 18 again) but I don't remember it being a problem. If you're RDCs are seeing that you're giving your all and kicking butt at everything else, then they probably won't notice or mind too much about you fidgeting when you're kneeling.

I found it much harder on my tailbone to do sit ups/crunches and the like on concrete floors!
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
My division wasn't allowed to sit on our butts until after Battle Stations... all we did was sit on our knees for 7 weeks.
and how long do you sit on your knees? something like this would be a nightmare. I don't really have the flexibility in either knee, but the knee I hurt some odd years back starts to hurt like hell when fully flexed.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamayamaa View Post
It looks like they're doing push ups or planks at the very end, the camera guy just caught someone being lazy in the 'rest position' ;)

The only one-knee kneeling we did was during battlestations, and it was never for more than 3-4 minutes at a time. Usually you have the option of standing up or kneeling.

To be honest, my knees are pretty uncomfortable on hard floors too (ah to be 18 again) but I don't remember it being a problem. If you're RDCs are seeing that you're giving your all and kicking butt at everything else, then they probably won't notice or mind too much about you fidgeting when you're kneeling.

I found it much harder on my tailbone to do sit ups/crunches and the like on concrete floors!
So bottom line is: bootcamp just plain hurts! LOL

I feel confident I can get through the PT, but if we have to sit on our knees for periods of time like the other post suggested, then I'd be in REAL trouble!

This sensative knee is the only thing holding me up... that and I'm old!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
candiru

candiru is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure they'll make us do burpees, just because everyone hates them.
candiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
gregmosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiru View Post
Pretty sure they'll make us do burpees, just because everyone hates them.
Just googled em.. they look like 8 count bodybuilders with a jump at the end. I always thought they were something like squatting down then going into a jump.. guess I was missing the push up part of that.