NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Let me ask you one question, have you been to MEPS yet to get a rate offer?

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Let me ask you one question, have you been to MEPS yet to get a rate offer?
Greetings,

Not yet, but next week I will be on MEPS to choose my job an then to take the Oath of Enlistment. I did PT last month on MEPS and I pass it. When I'll go to MEPS I hope that YNS possition may be avaliable to choose it.

Regards,

JGB
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

Have you taken the ASVAB yet & if so do you have your line scores to know what jobs you qualify for? And do you know the difference between YN and YNS? You mention an interest in YNS but that is a submarine rate - you will be on subs & pretty much out of contact with family when you are on deployment. YN is a surface rate - you can be stationed anywhere there are sailors. Your first assignment will probably be sea duty but most likely on a surface ship or with a squadron.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Greetings,

Not yet, but next week I will be on MEPS to choose my job an then to take the Oath of Enlistment. I did PT last month on MEPS and I pass it. When I'll go to MEPS I hope that YNS possition may be avaliable to choose it.

Regards,

JGB
When you do get to MEPS, you will be told which jobs are available to you at that time...some times the rate you want is not available...it is best to have at least a list of 5 you are interested in.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
When you do get to MEPS, you will be told which jobs are available to you at that time...some times the rate you want is not available...it is best to have at least a list of 5 you are interested in.

But if I'm interested only on YNS rate, there will be any problem with my enlistment?.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
jeannesarah

jeannesarah is on a distinguished road

Not a problem as long as they have a YNS slot open that day. You can never know ahead of time what jobs they have any given day until you sit down with the detailer. I just wanted to be sure you understood that YNS is a submarine rate and YN is the same job just not on subs.
jeannesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
jbpr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannesarah View Post
Not a problem as long as they have a YNS slot open that day. You can never know ahead of time what jobs they have any given day until you sit down with the detailer. I just wanted to be sure you understood that YNS is a submarine rate and YN is the same job just not on subs.
Greetings,

I'm know that YNS is specific job on submarine and this is the reason for that I want this rate. Can I choose a specific submarine class on Sub School, such as SSBN submarine?. Any information about this question I'll be very gratefull.

Regards,

JGB
Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
Greetings,

I'm know that YNS is specific job on submarine and this is the reason for that I want this rate. Can I choose a specific submarine class on Sub School, such as SSBN submarine?. Any information about this question I'll be very gratefull.

Regards,

JGB
1st tour sailors usually are assigned to what we call "needs of the Navy", aka they put you where you're needed. Although if they've got enough people they can start being more flexible and you might be able to pick. It really just comes down to what rate you are and what that manning looks like. Some folks get to choose and others have their choices made for them. It's luck of the draw in most cases.

If you stick around for a 2nd enlistment, that's when you really get a lot more freedom in picking where you go.

/r
CTT1