NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
FutureAW

FutureAW is on a distinguished road
Default AIRR ?'s

Hello there, I've recently joined this wonderful forum and couldn't find much about airr. Im currently dry aw, but I plan on volunteering for wet when I get to boot camp. I'm not all that great of swimmer...yet, but other than that, I am in very good shape. What I worry about is RSS though, and how difficult it really is? I crossfit a couple times a week, along with standard work out 5 times a week for a 40 min. (non stop circuit lifting). Any body know a day to day or have info for rss?
FutureAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

It's insane... PT, PT, swimming, PT, and more swimming... then break for lunch, and repeat. Lol!

If you're not a good swimmer, you're gonna have trouble even getting through NACCS for "Dry" Aircrew... that's all we do here... PT and swim (RSS just does it more and for 5 extra weeks). I don't say that to scare you or sound like a jerk, but I've seen way to many candidates get rolled out and drop because they weren't proficient in the water.

Also, you don't get a chance to volunteer for AIRR at RTC... you'd have to challenge for a SpecWar contract while you're still in DEP.

Out of curiosity, what is it about AIRR that has you interested?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Kristen

Kristen is on a distinguished road

You are going to need to be working out and training way more than 40 minutes a day to prepare for RSS; atleast that's what im doing but Hassino would know much more than i do. I can tell you bascially what i do in a week for workouts if that helps. He is right about not being able to volunteer im bootcamp. You have to talk to your recruiter and tell him you want to be a Rescue Swimmer and he will call the local specwar coordinator to schedule you a PST. You must also get paperwork from MEPS that allows you to be qualified to take the PST. Once you pass the minimum requirements in the swim, push, pull, sit, and run then he will enter you in the draft where you will hopefully be picked up and given a contract. Your scores must be competitive though, you are competiting against many others who want that contract too.
"It takes a little courage, and a little self-control. And some grim determination, If you want to reach the goal. It takes a great deal of striving, and a firm and stern-set chin. No matter what the battle, if you really want to win, there's no easy path to glory. There is no road to fame. Life, however we may view it, Is no simple parlor game; But its prizes call for fighting, For endurance and for grit; For a rugged disposition that will not quit."
Navy SEAL Masterchief
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Lifting isn't gonna do anything to help you prepare for RSS... in fact, it'll probably hurt you because muscle sinks! It's all about running... 6 miles at a 8:00/mile pace should be an easy day for you! The general workouts for both NACCS and RSS are endurance, leg, and core exercises... push-ups, sit-ups, flutter-kicks, and running.

Speaking with the RSS candidates, the biggest killer for them is simply not being proficient in the water... you're gonna be expected to jump in and not touch the side or bottom of the pool... get pulled underwater and tow an unresponsive body for up to a mile without stopping.

After that, there are the candidates who can't get the first-aid down... and then there are even the folks who class up, realize they're going AWR and are likely never going to get to rescue anyone, and lose the drive to succeed.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
FutureAW

I can swim 500m in 10 min on freestyle, but i know that is sub standard for airr. As my out of water pt, that doesnt worry me. Crossfit has taken care of that. As for "lifting", i do high rep endurance lifting. Nothing lower than 20 reps followed by loads of flutter kicks. I will be doing my own pst tomorrow and I will post the results. As for my desire for airr, it's something challenging. Not too sound conceited, but it's a big deal to save lives and I would like to be that person. They allow for volunteers through boot camp, and I leave in April so I feel I may just go for broke.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
FutureAW

Thank you both for the replies too, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. Any insight on the work outs they do in pool?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
ADbait09

ADbait09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
You are going to need to be working out and training way more than 40 minutes a day to prepare for RSS; atleast that's what im doing but Hassino would know much more than i do. I can tell you bascially what i do in a week for workouts if that helps. He is right about not being able to volunteer im bootcamp. You have to talk to your recruiter and tell him you want to be a Rescue Swimmer and he will call the local specwar coordinator to schedule you a PST. You must also get paperwork from MEPS that allows you to be qualified to take the PST. Once you pass the minimum requirements in the swim, push, pull, sit, and run then he will enter you in the draft where you will hopefully be picked up and given a contract. Your scores must be competitive though, you are competiting against many others who want that contract too.
at what point can u "volunteer" for air crew? Im a contracted AD (haven't been to boot yet) and I been under the impression I can volunteer at anytime for air crew. I am really intrigued by rescue swimmer.
ADbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADbait09 View Post
at what point can u "volunteer" for air crew? Im a contracted AD (haven't been to boot yet) and I been under the impression I can volunteer at anytime for air crew. I am really intrigued by rescue swimmer.
You can no longer volunteer for Aircrew as an AD... that ended on October 1st, 2008. You must now be contracted with AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53) or AIRR (MH-60/Rescue Swimmer) in your contract from MEPS, to ultimately receive a rating of AWO, AWR, AWV, AWF, or AWS.

You can possibly volunteer for surface Rescue Swimmer duties, which would be a part-time tertiary duty while on a ship... but Aviation Rescue Swimmer is a skill held by full-time flyers in either the Naval Aircrewman (Tactical Helicopter) or Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) ratings.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
ADbait09

ADbait09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
You can no longer volunteer for Aircrew as an AD... that ended on October 1st, 2008. You must now be contracted with AIRC (Fixed-wing/MH-53) or AIRR (MH-60/Rescue Swimmer) in your contract from MEPS, to ultimately receive a rating of AWO, AWR, AWV, AWF, or AWS.

You can possibly volunteer for surface Rescue Swimmer duties, which would be a part-time tertiary duty while on a ship... but Aviation Rescue Swimmer is a skill held by full-time flyers in either the Naval Aircrewman (Tactical Helicopter) or Naval Aircrewman (Helicopter) ratings.
Thanks for the info...that's what I'll try to do and possibly cross rate at a later date if I'm not happy with AD
ADbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote