NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
DPearson
**Active Duty**

DPearson is on a distinguished road
Default Something to Learn Before Shipping

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but i didnt see one. As a recent bootcamp grad, I figure one thing that is easy to learn and pretty necessary in bootcamp is the basics for knot tying. You learn 3 knots while there, but knowing them ahead of time would be advantageous. The knots are the SQUARE knot, the CLOVE HITCH, and the BOWLINE. just google these knots with about 10 minutes of free time and a piece of rope about a foot and a half long and go at it. they are super easy.
DPearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPearson View Post
Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but i didnt see one. As a recent bootcamp grad, I figure one thing that is easy to learn and pretty necessary in bootcamp is the basics for knot tying. You learn 3 knots while there, but knowing them ahead of time would be advantageous. The knots are the SQUARE knot, the CLOVE HITCH, and the BOWLINE. just google these knots with about 10 minutes of free time and a piece of rope about a foot and a half long and go at it. they are super easy.
And don't pronounce it bow-line, it's bowlinn

Though, outside deck department, there isn't a whole lot of knot tying in the Navy these days...

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
YN2(AW)Williams
**ActiveDuty**

YN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond reputeYN2(AW)Williams has a reputation beyond repute

And with the bowline knot, learn the over the shoulder method, as well as the in-hand method. Some people are faster with one or the other, and being able to get that knot out fast can save your team precious seconds during marline spike.
YN2(AW)Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road

as i learned all those in the scouts.....I only remember the one-handed-bowline and the rabbit-around-the-tree methods.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

You'd better remember the bowline when you go through INSURV and you have to make sure every float coat has its accessories tied on with one at each end. Other than that, yeah...you're not gonna do knots unless you go to the Constitution.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Navylogk

Navylogk is on a distinguished road

What about learning how to tie a Monkeys fist?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPearson View Post
All I had to know was the square knot for my whites.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:39 AM   #8
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navylogk View Post
What about learning how to tie a Monkeys fist?
Only real use would be at the end of a heaving line, but for that purpose I'm sure your deck department will 1) already have some made or 2) use a shot line instead.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote