NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
mike
Banned

mike is infamous around these parts
Default What is the longest you have to stand at attention for during bootcamp?

Rough estimate? We did a little standing at attention at DEP meeting and it sucks, I felt like I was going to pass out because I locked out my knees apparently lol. Thanks in advance
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I've heard during inspections it's upwards of two hours.

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
mike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
I've heard during inspections it's upwards of two hours.
2 hours

Is that with the strict position with hands on the side? And are you allowed to breath with your mouth or does it have to be your nose?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I went through OCS not RTC, so it's a little different, but on the first day, we were at attention from about noon until 6pm with a couple bathroom breaks. Day 2 wasn't much better.
They should have you "popcorn" your knees (bend then slightly) every so often to keep the blood circulating.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Attention is easy compared to prolonged periods at parade rest... this gets painful!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Yeah, for inspections 2 hours easy. And when we pissed off the RDCs but they weren't mad enough/didn't have time to IT us, they'd just have us stand at attention.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
mike
Banned

Wow, what's the secret/cheatcode to mastering attention and parade rest if you have one? Please
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

I've found for whatever reason that I naturally slouch a little bit, but at the meetings I've started really keeping my back straight my shoulders back and my chest out and that helps along with shoes with good support. I think standing at attention in bates will make things a little easier than running shoes - but maybe I'm wrong.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I've discovered that staying on the balls of my feet helps my balance with keeping knees slightly bent, if I put my weight on my heels they'll go to sleep after a while.

But your feet are going to hurt in bootcamp regardless, breaking in new boots takes a while.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
I've discovered that staying on the balls of my feet helps my balance with keeping knees slightly bent, if I put my weight on my heels they'll go to sleep after a while.
Just practiced that, I like that it naturally bends my knees.. As long as I can do it without being obvious about it that's what I am going to do!
Thanks for the tip!

Hyman G. Rickover

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
BubbaGumps64

BubbaGumps64 is on a distinguished road

2 hours sounds about right for inspections. Don't lock your knees either. If you are going to move around every once in a while don't make it obvious. Your RDC'S will call you out on it. And it can be the reason you fail an inspection for military bearing.
BubbaGumps64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
2 hours

Is that with the strict position with hands on the side? And are you allowed to breath with your mouth or does it have to be your nose?
You should probably breathe through your nose unless you want to be called "mouth breather" by your RDC'S.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
mike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGumps64 View Post
2 hours sounds about right for inspections. Don't lock your knees either. If you are going to move around every once in a while don't make it obvious. Your RDC'S will call you out on it. And it can be the reason you fail an inspection for military bearing.
Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspection at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspection at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day
Depending on what you fail you can be held back and put into the next division.

Also, be careful with that attitude. Your RDCs and shipmates won't like it, and you'll just attract unwanted attention to yourself.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
mike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Depending on what you fail you can be held back and put into the next division.

Also, be careful with that attitude. Your RDCs and shipmates won't like it, and you'll just attract unwanted attention to yourself.
They aren't going to hold me back for the next division because of a sloppily made bed, that would be crazy. I got a 98 on my ASVAB. I've never heard of anyone getting held back in RTC too.

Also I am a really humble and introverted person btw, just so you don't get the wrong impression. And I got a 92 on the CSORT so I have the right mental makeup for NSW apparently.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
LT Guppy

Quote:
They aren't going to hold me back for the next division because of a sloppily made bed, that would be crazy. I got a 98 on my ASVAB. I've never heard of anyone getting held back in RTC too.

Also I am a really humble and introverted person btw, just so you don't get the wrong impression. And I got a 92 on the CSORT so I have the right mental makeup for NSW apparently.
Yes, you can get held back for a number of reasons, including discipline/attitude problems, not following instructions, or failing inspections or tests. It happens every week. It's called being ASMO'ed.

If you are a humble person, you may want to take a look at the way you're coming across in your posts.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Atom_breaker

Quote:
If you are a humble person, you may want to take a look at the way you're coming across in your posts.

Hyman G. Rickover

Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

You will be in an 800 division, you won't be made to do extra workouts often. Most likely you will have to stand at attention for a few hours or go bird watching. The RDCs get creative and know you are TRYING to go spec war. They can, and will, hold you back for any number of reasons, and they couldn't care less what your ASVAB or CSORT scores are. The only time your ASVAB score will ever come into to play again is if you need to pick a new job.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #19
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Quote:

Look, the Navy doesn't really care how well you make your bed. What they care about is your ability to follow directions and be detail oriented. Making beds, folding clothes, uniform inspections, all of that is a way to test those abilities.

So yeah, if you leave your rack a hot mess, the Navy will think you'll do the same on a mission.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Here is what Adm McRaven has to say about making your bed:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/scoop...make-your-bed/
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #21
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nobody actually gives a shit what you got on your ASVAB... that will hold no bearing on the Navy's determination on whether to keep you, kick you, mast you, ASMO you, promote you, etc. It only matters for determining what job you qualify for at MEPS... or what job you qualify for after you get dropped from the NSW pipeline.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #22
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You just don't get it do you? Nobody likes a bragger. Work hard, be humble, and everything should fall into place in the navy and life in general. You clearly come across as an arrogant and immature individual. Remember there is always somebody better than you. And an ASVAB score doesn't equate to shit other than picking ratings for the military. It's a high school level test.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #23
meeli

meeli is on a distinguished road

please do not be that guy that your division hates. everyone works as a team there. there is no smarter than the others!
meeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #24
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to think that Mike is just a troll.

Nobody is that hard headed that they have every single Sailor (Officer and Enlisted) on this forum telling him he needs to chill out and keeps posting the things he does.

If it is legit, he's not going very far in the fleet.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #25
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Oh, and they absolutely will roll you back (ASMO) for not being able to properly complete basic things like making your rack.

The Navy isn't going to trust you with sensitive jobs if you can't do something as basic as folding a sheet without supervision. Which it sounds like you're going to need a lot of.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #26
LT Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
I'm starting to think that Mike is just a troll.

Nobody is that hard headed that they have every single Sailor (Officer and Enlisted) on this forum telling him he needs to chill out and keeps posting the things he does.

If it is legit, he's not going very far in the fleet.

/r
CTT1
We try to be really generous when it comes to possible trolls, just incase they really are that misguided. Unless there is something blatant or spammy, they tend to stay.
That's partly why I wanted to try the reputation system. I try to read every post, but frankly I miss some things. So hopefully with the reputation system, people will self regulate a little more.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
mike
Banned

I can't figure out how to lock thread since I got answer I wanted.

Haters gonna hate. Haasono, I will post up once I make it through Hellweek.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
LT Guppy

Quote:

Only Moderators can lock threads.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #29
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:

Go ahead and let your LPO or 1st class know that in the fleet. Let me know how that DRB goes for ya.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Stupid question, but what happens if you fail an inspectio. at RTC? Pushups? I can do pushups all day
It depends on your RDC'S really. No one in my division ever got IT'ed for it. Usually they just make you do A LOT of practice inspections for the next inspection. And i mean a lot, maybe 3 times a day which could take up to an hour and a half at a time. You may get chewed out and made to feel like crap afterwards too.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #31
BubbaGumps64

Quote:

You actually can. Say your rack constantly looks like shit in bootcamp, your RDC'S will notice. They can ASMO'd you if they feel you aren't fit to continue. I've seen it happen. Your ASVAB scores dont mean anything when you get to boot camp.

If FQA sees that and gives your division a compartment hit for that it won't be a good day either.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #32
LT Guppy

Quote:
You actually can. Say your rack constantly looks like shit in bootcamp, your RDC'S will notice. They can ASMO'd you if they feel you aren't fit to continue. I've seen it happen. Your ASVAB scores dont mean anything when you get to boot camp.

If FQA sees that and gives your division a compartment hit for that it won't be a good day either.
Frankly, it can happen in the fleet too. Ship berthings are regularly inspected by the XO, and if your compartment isn't up to standards you can expect to hear from the XO, the Chiefs' Mess, and everyone else in your berthing, and then reinspect until it passes.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Frankly, it can happen in the fleet too. Ship berthings are regularly inspected by the XO, and if your compartment isn't up to standards you can expect to hear from the XO, the Chiefs' Mess, and everyone else in your berthing, and then reinspect until it passes.
That's if you don't land in DRB or on restriction for consistently not meeting standards.

/r
CTT1
Old 07-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #34
FutureND
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
That's if you don't land in DRB or on restriction for consistently not meeting standards.

/r
CTT1
Or kicked out... Failure to adapt
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #35
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Or kicked out... Failure to adapt
I always wondered what those guys went home and told their family and friends... Hmmmm

/r
CTT1
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #36
ronec

ronec is on a distinguished road

Someone mentioned breathing, what about clearing the throat? I hear a lot of people get sick during the winter time, if you clear your throat while standing at attention are you gonna get called out? Silly question, but just popped in my head.
ronec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #37
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

If they notice, probably so. Either practice doing it as quietly as you possibly can, or try to mask it under other noise, like the inevitable boot noise of the whole division being called to attention.

But RDCs don't like boot noise either, so you may just be screwed. Get used to that feeling.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #38
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
If they notice, probably so. Either practice doing it as quietly as you possibly can, or try to mask it under other noise, like the inevitable boot noise of the whole division being called to attention.

But RDCs don't like boot noise either, so you may just be screwed. Get used to that feeling.
Well looks like I'm going to get called out a lot lol whenever I get sick, it's usually a cold or something close to that, and I always end up with a cough/ I've tried to resist the urge to cough in case I'm at attention, but after awhile it's just reflex and I cough anyways.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #39
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Unless your RDC or FQA are unreasonably hard, no one should hit you for coughing, clearing your throat, sneezing, etc.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #40
BubbaGumps64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
Unless your RDC or FQA are unreasonably hard, no one should hit you for coughing, clearing your throat, sneezing, etc.
Yes. If you have to cough, then cough. Just dont make a scene.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #41
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes. If you have to cough, then cough. Just dont make a scene.
No dramatic opera coughing, got it lol

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote