NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default CTR vs IS

What is the difference? They seem very similar to me. Which is better?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
ISs are "powerpoint ninjas". They take data analyzed and processed by the other CTs and organize it to present to the higher ups.

CTRs are signals analysts. They can do a lot of different jobs depending on the platform they're assigned to. Most of the ones I know write reports.

Which one is better depends on what kind of work you want to do, but they're both pretty versatile jobs.
Thanks. Which one leads to a better job after the Navy? Is one more desk based than the other?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Secret Secret
Posts: 1,287
Rep Power: 260
FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1
__________________
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
IS traditionally will be more desk based than CTRs.

CTRs can go aboard ships, subs, and aircraft where IS's are much more limited.

/r
CTT1
Thanks.
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Neither lead to a specific job outside, but both set you up for government positions with a slightly different focus.

IS has a traditional sea/shore rotation, where CTR has an INCONUS/OUTCONUS rotation which makes them more shore heavy. However, CTR is more technical and therefore has a wider range of applications (for instance, they can go Aircrew and I know several who have deployed on IAs).
What is an "IA"?
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
LT Guppy
**Active Duty**

 
LT Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,858
Rep Power: 341
LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice6102 View Post
What is an "IA"?
Individual Augmentee. Where you go somewhere by yourself to augment (support) another unit.
Most well known were IA tours supporting the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan. But they can be literally anywhere in the world (including places in the US)
__________________
Officers: making simple stuff hard since 1775

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
JayMaple
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Move 1~3 times a year
Posts: 79
Rep Power: 11
JayMaple is on a distinguished road
Default

ha PR is the best so be a PR
JayMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: That's classified
Posts: 204
Rep Power: 74
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold
Default

CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.
__________________
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
CTR!!!! Maybe I'm biased Cus that's what I am, but I'm a big fan of CTRs.

Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury. But this also means CTRs only have 4y contracts while ISs have 6y contracts. This doesn't mean ISs always pass up CTRs though. you can get advanced quicker if you work hard no matter what. Other things to mention is CTRs get schooling at Pensacola Florida while ISs have schooling up in Virginia. I've been to both areas and like Pensacola more personally.
Whats TIR? Time iin rate? I think I would like a 6 year contract. I live right by the IS school in Virginia. I think I am starting to prefer CTR/IS to the Admin rates of YN/AZ/PS.
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
jzhaun
**Active Duty**
 
jzhaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 627
Rep Power: 125
jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
Most ISs pick up third class after TIR And completion of A school while CTRs don't have this luxury.
But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
blueice6102
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 57
Rep Power: 10
blueice6102 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
But Rs have 100% advancement to 3rd class, so it isn't like it really takes much longer. It's just testing vs submitting a chit.
Interesting. Thanks for all your insight.
blueice6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
SBE6287
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 0
SBE6287 is on a distinguished road
Default

So I was in CTR A school and was dropped because I wasn't handling how technically advanced it is. CTR was the alternative rate my recruiter came with because I originally wanted IS but it wasn't available unless I did Reserve and I wanted active duty. How advanced is IS?
SBE6287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles