NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Dapper

Dapper is on a distinguished road
Question CTI/CTN Questions

I am looking at joining the Navy as a CTI or CTN. I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to go CTI and then do a CTN A school after?

2) Did you get a signed contract saying you were going CTN or did you just wait and see? I have heard that you need to get EVERYTHING in writing before signing. Can you speak towards this?

3) As a CTN, how difficult is it to get clearance to travel overseas for vacation? Where are you not allowed to go?

4) What options do you have after the military as a CTN?

5) Where are the possibilities of being stationed?

6) What is the "moment of truth" when people stand up or not?

6) What is your schedule like? Days on? Days off? Shifts, etc?

I'm 33 yrs old with a chemical engineering degree. I've been working in industry and have thought about the military since I was a teenager. Now, I want to change careers and want to get into computers (I've had some basic programming classes in the past and am starting to teach myself Python). I see the CTN as the way to do it. This is a big decision for me due to age, I'll be nearly 40 by the time my first contract is up. Lots to think about...

Thanks for any feedback any of you can give.

Last edited by LT Guppy; 05-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Dapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

First: It's better to create your own thread than dredge up an old one, especially when you're asking a different question. The original poster probably isn't even here anymore.

1) CTI and CTN are really only related by security clearance. CTIs are linguists, CTNs are techies. I don't see how or why you would sign for Interpretive and then get Networks later, unless you mean several years later, and your rating has somehow gotten overcrowded.

2) At MEPS, your contract will list exactly everything the government is obligated to give you a chance at (advanced paygrade, enlistment bonuses, enrollment in A school for a specific rating, possibly a C school if the rating requires it, etc.) and it specifically says that anything else you were promised by anyone, even the President himself, is not legally binding if it's not in the contract. It doesn't mean you can't have things you weren't promised, but it does mean you can't insist on them.

6) The "Moment of Truth" is a point very early on in RTC when they give everyone one last chance to disclose anything that isn't already on their paperwork (medical or legal issues for example). If you stand up at that point and tell them you had asthma as a child, you will pack your bags and go straight back home. What this boils down to is: Do not hide anything at MEPS. If at the Moment of Truth you still have undisclosed secrets, you're guilty of fraudulent enlistment, and if they ever find out about it, you will suffer.

Good news is you're not as old as you think you are, or at least you're not alone in it. There are more than a few others just on this site who are with you. And the Top Secret security clearance is extremely valuable in the civilian job market, and will go a long way to protecting you from age discrimination.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

The chances of going CTI just for A school and then becoming something else are pretty much nil. CTI A school takes way too long and costs way too much for the Navy to fill a seat with anyone who isn't going to work as a CTI.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
I am looking at joining the Navy as a CTI or CTN. I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to go CTI and then do a CTN A school after?

2) Did you get a signed contract saying you were going CTN or did you just wait and see? I have heard that you need to get EVERYTHING in writing before signing. Can you speak towards this?

3) As a CTN, how difficult is it to get clearance to travel overseas for vacation? Where are you not allowed to go?

4) What options do you have after the military as a CTN?

5) Where are the possibilities of being stationed?

6) What is the "moment of truth" when people stand up or not?

6) What is your schedule like? Days on? Days off? Shifts, etc?

I'm 33 yrs old with a chemical engineering degree. I've been working in industry and have thought about the military since I was a teenager. Now, I want to change careers and want to get into computers (I've had some basic programming classes in the past and am starting to teach myself Python). I see the CTN as the way to do it. This is a big decision for me due to age, I'll be nearly 40 by the time my first contract is up. Lots to think about...

Thanks for any feedback any of you can give.
If anything I'd suggest going reservist so you can still get the training but not give up your career. It's hard to start over at your age and you will be starting at the very bottom.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Yeah I was wondering why the question of these two ratings was being brought up. I always thought the CTM rating (one I picked) was closer to CTN than the other CT ratings, but the other CT ratings like CTR and CTT get asked more about relative to CTN than CTM

As stated above CTI are the linguists and CTNs are what my recruiter calls the "hackers" and stuff. CTNs deal with network security (global networks/wans, not LANs like I guess ITs would do). I actually wanted and sometimes still do want the CTN rating when I went for MEPS but I was second guessing myself--did I want to serve a 6 year term? Was I okay with being land-based? (CTNs apparently don't go out to sea much, if at all). These seem like "are you serious?" questions now but then were serious concerns of mine. I, however, took the CTM rating after being told (recruiter said there were 2 slots left my first day at MEPs, or it might've been the 2nd day--I was there a total of 3 days because I was held up for too much ear wax lol) there were no more openings in the CTN rating. I probably now would take the CTN over the CTM now no question but of course I don't have the chance to do so, at least not right now. I went into MEPS thinking all the CT ratings were undermanned but that is not so--I was basing my thinking off the about.com info and creo lists that were like 4 years old (and had some other info wrong too--well at least it was not updated).

But I have a question if its appropriate for the thread--what is the CTM rating like and how much might it be like the IT and CTN ratings?
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5

H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is on a distinguished road

Hey bronxCTM, I'm currently in IT 'C' school. I wish I could tell you more about the CTM rating. I had a few people that I knew here that were CTMs. I don't really know what they did or learned about 'cause CTs never brought any notes or anything out of the compounds. ITs work with computers and networking and work in RADIO and handle communication equipment and other things, depending on where they need you. I believe CTMs work with strictly computer-based equipment and just do maintenance and troubleshooting and installation of hardware and software and stuff. Don't quote me on that, but that's all I really know. All the CT rates come here to Pensacola, Florida for 'A' and 'C' school, except for CTIs, I believe. Have you tried to put in a request to get the rate you want? I was told you could do that, if it's really what you wanted. You might have to wait a bit and when you do get it, your ship date might get pushed back. I was pushing for AECF and since I couldn't get it, I went with my second option, which was IT. I signed the contract as a 6Y IT. I went back to my station and my recruiter said that if AECF was really what I wanted, he could put in a request to get AECF the moment it was available, but that it would push my ship date back. I didn't wanna wait any longer, so I went with IT and I'm glad I did. I love it! I got a month and a half before I graduate and finally leave this place. Can't wait. Been here since October. O_O But yeah, hopefully I helped you out. It wasn't much or anything at all, but yeah. Lol.
H1PH0PEL3M3NT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Well IT or CTN is basically what I want to do in the civilian world if/when I get out of the Navy. I already have my CompTIA A+ certification and am testing for my Network+ certification in about a week. I might go on to do Security+ over the Summer independently.

Hmm, did you go to IT "A" School in Great Lakes or Pensacola? The rating card has it at Pensacola: https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/r...o_cards/it.pdf but I always thought it was in Great Lakes.

And yeah that's what the rating card says about the CTM rating. I have read that the CTM rating, though, is like an ET with a Top Secret Security Clearance--ya know I just want to do something that works more with networks and all, not electronics (yes networks and computers are electronics though) and electricity.

I am really interested in the IT and CTN ratings now. I would love love the CTN rating if they just weren't so land-based (so I've heard).

But thank you for your reply!
bronxCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Dapper

Dapper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
First: It's better to create your own thread than dredge up an old one, especially when you're asking a different question. The original poster probably isn't even here anymore.

1) CTI and CTN are really only related by security clearance. CTIs are linguists, CTNs are techies. I don't see how or why you would sign for Interpretive and then get Networks later, unless you mean several years later, and your rating has somehow gotten overcrowded.

2) At MEPS, your contract will list exactly everything the government is obligated to give you a chance at (advanced paygrade, enlistment bonuses, enrollment in A school for a specific rating, possibly a C school if the rating requires it, etc.) and it specifically says that anything else you were promised by anyone, even the President himself, is not legally binding if it's not in the contract. It doesn't mean you can't have things you weren't promised, but it does mean you can't insist on them.

6) The "Moment of Truth" is a point very early on in RTC when they give everyone one last chance to disclose anything that isn't already on their paperwork (medical or legal issues for example). If you stand up at that point and tell them you had asthma as a child, you will pack your bags and go straight back home. What this boils down to is: Do not hide anything at MEPS. If at the Moment of Truth you still have undisclosed secrets, you're guilty of fraudulent enlistment, and if they ever find out about it, you will suffer.

Good news is you're not as old as you think you are, or at least you're not alone in it. There are more than a few others just on this site who are with you. And the Top Secret security clearance is extremely valuable in the civilian job market, and will go a long way to protecting you from age discrimination.
Thanks for the response. It was helpful.

I should probably explain why CTI intrigues me. I speak a foreign language and want to learn more. But I'm also interested in computers. Looking into the long term job options, CTN seems like the better way to go. I was just hoping for more education, but it makes sense that that's not possible (costly).

It good to hear that I'm not the only one at my age looking to join. I agree, the security clearance is highly valuable and I believe the experience serving my country is paramount.

Thanks again, to everyone, for your responses.
Dapper is offline   Reply With Quote