NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Silipino

Silipino is on a distinguished road
Arrow Fellow ITs?

Just curious to see if there are any other ITs out there?
Silipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Kmf9182

Kmf9182 is on a distinguished road

I am also an IT waiting to ship out...my date is 20140612... What's up man?
Kmf9182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Austin618

Austin618 is on a distinguished road

Shipping 20140403
Austin618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Silipino

I ship out 20140714, it's a while away.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
saltysailor

saltysailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silipino View Post
IT, currently in C School. There's more of us than you'd expect.
saltysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
ctrigga

ctrigga is on a distinguished road

Salty - which c school you in? Im in ILE right now, waiting on hearing which one i get
ctrigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
saltysailor

I'm sys ad. Just the first half of A school all over again, but the inspections suck more.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
deezter

deezter is on a distinguished road

I ship out 20140819. Do any of you guys know what to really expect as an IT?
deezter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
musclecarhunter

musclecarhunter is on a distinguished road

Depends on where you end up Sea or Shore, and if your on a ship it depends on which type they you put on (Command ship, Amphib, Carrier, Small boy) and what division they put you in (ADP, Tech Control, Radio). I know only a little about what to expect on a ship, thanks to some friends, but not very much. Now if your on shore it all depends on where you go and what command your sent to (NCTAMS, NCTS, COMSUBGRU7, etc.). I can tell you if you get shore it's alright, some people like it more than others. Mostly if your on shore you'll be doing trouble calls fixing workstations, re-imaging hard drives and the like. If your lucky you'll be doing pier connectivity. Shore is also the time where you get your schooling done and get some serious volunteer hours. My personal opinion of the IT field is that it sucks, it is way to political and nothing they teach you in A school can be applied out in the fleet, it is an excellent opportunity to make rank though.
musclecarhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Silipino

I wonder how hard A-school is.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
saltysailor

A school is easy. Pay attention in class, read the book for an hour or so at night and you'll be golden. Most people don't do that much and still pass. I put in a whole lot more study time and came out of A school with a 94% average.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Silipino

Well I hope you make it sound as easy as it sounds.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Leon S. Winters

Leon S. Winters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silipino View Post
----

Perhaps some of us might see each other at "A" school; I already see one member already has the same ship date as I do. I'll be leaving June 12th this year. I know for a fact that IT trainees will be located in Pensacola, Florida in a subdivision called Correy Station; they'll be sanctioned with other AT (Aviation Technician?) trainees as well. Just by word of mouth I've heard that it is particularly more lenient than its counter subdivisions around the area. Do not quote me on that though because this could all be different when the time actually comes.

I would imagine if anyone had passion in high school, or attempted some semester hours at a college will be able to adapt to the "A" school we'll be attending. To be straight to the point, studying hours will be better than none what-so-ever; the book and its' questions allow a student to understand the lectures he/she will receive much more deeper.

----

What I am really curious about is; the opportunities and requirements for "C" school as an IT. Are there any deeper advancements in IT for "C" school to be available?

Sincerely,
Leonidus Schroeder Winters
Leon S. Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
saltysailor

There are lots of ITs here in Pesacola. several hundred. It's difficult to go out in town and not see someone you know. IT school is here at Corry Station. It's about 5 miles away from the big NASP/NATTC base where you will initially arrive after flying here. ATs are at NATTC, not Corry but their school is of similar length.

I wouldn't say that either base is more lenient. NATTC students can go off base after they pass a test, Corry students have to be phase two. The liberty policy changes every few weeks, so whatever you've heard is probably wrong. We just had "health and comfort" inspections a few weeks ago where the chiefs woke us up at 0430, we opened all our lockers and closets and stood outside while they went through our rooms and belongings. I think at least 50 people went to mast after that.

Studying for A and C schools are both pretty easy. An hour or two of study a night and you'll be pretty good. 6y people and those who have some college tend to do better in class. You only get C school if it was in your contract when you signed up. You would have signed for the IT/ATF. If you are a 4y, it's not a bad deal. You get to the fleet and make rank just about as quick and there are opportunities to come back for one or both c schools.

Also, The name Winters is very common here for ITs. I'd never met so many till I got here.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
saltysailor

CTN definitely deals with computers and security. IT does also though. CTT and IS are definitely not what you are looking for.

I am an IT. I signed a six year contract which got me CompTIA A+ and Sec+ certifications plus some Cisco Networking and Microsoft Server classes. I was given the System Administrator track. It is also possible to get the Radio Communications track. you don't get to choose and eventually you will learn both skills if you are a good IT.

I think IT has the most to offer of any rate if you intend to continue your career civilian side after getting out, whether it's after 4 years or 20+. It's what you make of it. If you work hard and use the benefits the navy gives you like tuition assistance and COOL, you can come out with a degree and a whole list of certifications. I also see people who spend all day on facebook and will get out with nothing more than some work experience. Good Luck!