NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Nuclear Program (NUC)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
JakeC

JakeC is on a distinguished road
Question STA-21 Program Question

Can someone please explain to me how the STA-21 program works, more specifically how does it work with Nukes? I know my contract length is currently 6 years, but if I did the STA-21 program how long would my contract then be? And when in my initial 6 year contract would I need to look into applying for this program? Any general pros and cons from those who have done STA-21 or know of other sailors that have would be great!

Thanks in advance.
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Have you read the program website? It answers most of your questions.

http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/program_options.html

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

Shipmate,
these are great questions that your CCC would be able to answer in a CDB, which by the way is a requirement for submitting a STA-21 package. You can also look at:
www.sta-21.navy.mil
this site should also answer all of your questions as well as give you the necessary deadlines and different program requirements.
walla125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
JakeC

I am trying to make sense of parts of what I've already read on the website. In particular, to when I can apply to the program and the additional service requirement. It says you can either have graduated from the Nuke pipeline or currently be in any part of it. Is that meaning I could potentially not go to my first duty station if I am accepted into the program say right after A school? And when I also asked about the contract length, if I was only 2 years into my 6 year contract when I enrolled in the program (which I realize adds 5 years of active duty) does that mean I will have 5 years of active duty plus the remaining years of my initial contract or is it just 5 years of active duty in general?

For example if I get accepted in the program in prototype, which would only put me around 2ish years of active duty put of my 6, do I take the 3 years to get my degree and then come back and do 9 years of active duty (4 remaining of my initial contract plus the 5 year extension for the program)?

Sorry if this is confusing, I come from a non-military oriented family so this is ALL new to me. I'm trying my best to get ahead of my options so I'm not obligated to make a decision later on in my enlistment with no idea of what I'm doing.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
walla125
**Active Duty**

walla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to beholdwalla125 is a splendid one to behold

I take it you have not yet shipped to boot camp and are still a future Sailor? If so talk to your recruiter and ask him or her to put you back in touch with the NUKE scout or the NRD's nuke coordinator and pose these questions to them. They would be the SME's on your specific questions.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
JakeC

No I have not shipped out yet, and I'm 95% sure my original recruiter is now the Nuke scout for my area. I messaged him over these same questions the day I posted this. I know he is really busy so just thought I'd post on here to get a quicker answer, plus I don't expect him to know every little detail about the program. Just figured since there is a possibility of me being eligible to apply into the program pretty soon into my contract I'd want to know all the details I can now rather than later.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
JakeC

I have another question. I'm reading the eligibility requirements and it requires certain SAT scores that are from a test taken within 3 years of applying to the STA-21 program. I already have some college under my belt, I graduated from high school in 2011 so my SAT scores are from late 2010. Does that mean I'll need to retake the SAT before I can apply?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
walla125
**Active Duty**

You can start the STA-21 process however, you will not have a complete package until you have current scores IAW program requirements.