NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AS = AVIATION SUPPORT EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
NavyASjoe8

NavyASjoe8 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation AS info

Any AS out there that can let me know how A school is and life of an AS. Wanted to do something in aviation with a skill or trade that transferred over to civilian. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
NavyASjoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Wes272

Wes272 is on a distinguished road

AS's are Aviation Support. They work on support equipment and teach other rates how to operate them. The skills definitely transfer to the civilian world, its mostly Diesel engines and small engines. I am An AD that works on MH53Es and we use a crap ton of support equipment. The school house is in Pensacola just like most others. If you need any other advice or info feel free to ask.
Wes272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

When you're up for orders in "A" School, if you have a choice, avoid TACAMO (VQ-3 and VQ-4). That's if you want to actually learn and perform your rate your. If you don't and would rather work on college or something else, then I suggest it. Our AS' work with our LS' and run Supply/Tool Room. They don't touch or see any SE whatsoever.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Wes272

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzerAsp View Post
When you're up for orders in "A" School, if you have a choice, avoid TACAMO (VQ-3 and VQ-4). That's if you want to actually learn and perform your rate your. If you don't and would rather work on college or something else, then I suggest it. Our AS' work with our LS' and run Supply/Tool Room. They don't touch or see any SE whatsoever.
Wow bronzer I learned something new haha. I just know what I've seen from our 900 division.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes272 View Post
Wow bronzer I learned something new haha. I just know what I've seen from our 900 division.
Haha yeah I feel bad our for our AS'. They get screwed over in a sense. They also have it super easy here though

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Wes272

Our As don't really know anything there's like 1 guy who does all the work and the others just chill mostly it kinda a sad scene
Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
NavyASjoe8

NavyASjoe8 is on a distinguished road

Def appreciate the info. Thanks for the heads up also about stayring away from VQ-3 and VQ-4. Not looking to go in and not learn my rate which is why I chose it. Actually wanted to go AD but couldn't get a opening both times I went to MEPS.
NavyASjoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote