NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Special Warfare > SO = SPECIAL WARFARE OPERATOR (aka NAVY SEAL)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
FS1

FS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Seal?

I am in navy dep, I just recently told my recruiter I want to be Navy Seal. He tells me that I qaulify barely on asvab so I can try out for a Navy Seal position if I want but if I doon't get it I join the regular Navy. I said okay because I need to join Navy. Do you know what % of people make it to become Navy Seal? Do you know what the hardest part of Navy Seal training is? Thank you
FS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1 View Post
I am in navy dep, I just recently told my recruiter I want to be Navy Seal. He tells me that I qaulify barely on asvab so I can try out for a Navy Seal position if I want but if I doon't get it I join the regular Navy. I said okay because I need to join Navy. Do you know what % of people make it to become Navy Seal? Do you know what the hardest part of Navy Seal training is? Thank you
Out of a class of 100 guys maybe about 10-20 actually make it through BUD/S. After that there is also additional training you have to go through before getting your Trident. You have to make it though the entire training pipeline before you earn the title of SEAL.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Check out http://www.sealswcc.com/

It has a ton of information on it.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
theo

theo is on a distinguished road

First things first, you have to actually make it to BUD/S.

Selection for the warrior challenge program is highly competitive. If your good to go medically and your line scores qualify you will still need to take a physical screening test (PST) and computerized special operations resilience test (CSORT). The pst consists of a 500yd swim (CSS or breast stroke only), 2min max push ups, 2min max sit ups, max pull ups, and a 1.5 mile run. You will be placed in a national draft with the most competitive scores being awarded contracts to attend BUD/S.

Your scores would need to be competitive, not minimums and not average.

I just contracted in September and ship SO 20150326. Feel free to ask if you have other questions.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
dbrooks

dbrooks is on a distinguished road

theo- correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that the motivator for my regional area has workout sessions every month for people with Navy Challenge contracts and people wanting to get them.

OP, if that's something you'd want to do, then it would probably be highly recommended.
dbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrooks View Post
theo- correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that the motivator for my regional area has workout sessions every month for people with Navy Challenge contracts and people wanting to get them.

OP, if that's something you'd want to do, then it would probably be highly recommended.
The divemo workouts are great. We have them twice weekly here in AZ. In our district you can only attend if your qualified and pass the pst though. Talk to your recruiter and get down to the pool for divemo or a pst asap. Picking up SO is obtainable, around 1200 guys pick up contracts every year. Its just wanting it enough to actually put in the work to earn it.

Edit: heads up, you'd need to earn a contract before your 45 days out from your current ship date in order to re rate to SO.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
FS1

Thank you, I will post update of my scores. I watched Lone survivor yesterday and I want to be SEAL more then ever now.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Thank you, I will post update of my scores. I watched Lone survivor yesterday and I want to be SEAL more then ever now.
Yea Hollywood will do that haha

There's also a TON of Spec War opportunities outside of the SEALs. For example, there is a CT on most SEAL missions that goes out. They do the same mission, jump out of the same planes, ect, but they have a different role on the team.

SWCC is also another great option, Expeditionary guys get to do a ton of fun shit, EOD, Diver, Aircrew, ect. All kinds of options.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
FS1

Thank you sir, my recruiter text me that I can push back my shipping date so I can join as SEAL. I am trying to sign up for scuba lessons to so that I am ready for SEAL training
Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you sir, my recruiter text me that I can push back my shipping date so I can join as SEAL. I am trying to sign up for scuba lessons to so that I am ready for SEAL training
Understand that pushing back your ship date may involve losing whatever guaranteed job you have on your current contract.

Also, it would probably benefit you more to work more on the physical aspect (your run, swim, and sit/pull/push ups) than scuba diving.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Also, it would probably benefit you more to work more on the physical aspect (your run, swim, and sit/pull/push ups) than scuba diving.
Exactly what Guppy said. You wont touch a dive rig until second phase, so get stronger, faster, and more injury resistant so you stand a chance of making it there. Also, your probably going to learn bad habbits. Go in a clean slate.

And something doesn't check out. You dont just join as a SEAL because your recruiter let you push your date back. you have to earn your contract for SO to go to BUD/S by having killer PST scores amd qualifying CSORT. Im amazed your NRS would let you move a ship date for what is still a big maybe for you. Unless your already a competitive athlete the PST isnt something you will do well at over night, let alone over a few months. The consensus is it takes about a year of solid, dedicated and specific training to put up optimal numbers in the draft.

There is a huge difference in seeing a movie and wanting to be a SEAL and being ready to actually do the necessary work to become a SEAL.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
FS1

Thankyou Theo and Guppy, I won't take scuba now. My 1st pst is on wednesday, I do breastsroke 500 yds in 8:15, 55 pushup, 60 situp, 10 pullup, 10:30 run so my scores are good.

My recruiter says my swim time could give me a SEAL contract. I want lose 18 pounds and then I am even better at pst!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
theo

Quote:
Thankyou Theo and Guppy, I won't take scuba now. My 1st pst is on wednesday, I do breastsroke 500 yds in 8:15, 55 pushup, 60 situp, 10 pullup, 10:30 run so my scores are good.

My recruiter says my swim time could give me a SEAL contract. I want lose 18 pounds and then I am even better at pst!
Swim time is good. Most mentors dont let SO hopefuls do breaststroke though, generally were required to do css.

Your push ups are 5 above minimum.
Your sit ups are 10 above minimum.
Your pull ups are 2 below minimum.

Your run time is a fail.

And unless you have practiced to the same standards as you will be proctored to and witch each activity back to back like it will be on test day, subtract a few reps from each.

If your district has an auto qual option you may get a contract if you pass all the minimums and have a combined run and swim time of Less than 18:00, but AQ is rare and you will most likely need to draft.

For the draft minimum scores are as good as fails. The top scores get picked up. The rest continue to draft until they're either competitive or ship out on their dep'd in rate.

Do more research. BUD/S isnt about passing minimums and surviving. BUD/S is about performance. Performance ensures your survival.

Dont get the wrong message, just being upfront with you.
If your running a 10+ mile on a nice track after a good night sleep, how are you going to do on a 4 mile timed run in boots and sand after shit sleep and a day of strenuous work?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
FS1

Thanks theo. I am pumped for pst tomorrow! You know what they do if snow is outside? Snowing today here. Do we run in the snow? That would hurt my time. I hope they have treadmill! But running in snow would be fun to!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
theo

Quote:
Thanks theo. I am pumped for pst tomorrow! You know what they do if snow is outside? Snowing today here. Do we run in the snow? That would hurt my time. I hope they have treadmill! But running in snow would be fun to!
No treadmills. You may run in the snow. Depends on alot, namely the mentors choice.

I can't tell if your just really naive or trolling. If not, its a little crazy how cavalier you are towards your future. Tomorrow will be an eye opener.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
FS1

Just got back from pst. We did run on treadmills Theo! Because it was colder then 32*. They made us put incline at 1% and they write down the time/distance of when you start. I try to start at 10mph but I had to cut down to 8mph. Final time was 10:20.

Final result is swim 8;21 pushup 64 situp 62 pullup 10 run 10;20. They say my numbers are good first time showing. And good for 18 yo. And a guy with a SEAL contract stay after pst to help me get Navy SEAL stroke down. He was very helpful.

Now I am excited for pst 2 weeks from now! I dont know why you write I was trolling. This was the first snow we had here all winter!