NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road
Default Investigation Question

I ship May 24th. Well, I haven't heard a thing about my clearance so I figured that was a good thing. Today I got a call from a lady that says she is my investigator and she has to have my case closed by may 5th so she needs to meet with me. Is this typical? I thought the interviews took place at boot camp.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

When the investigator gets a case, they generally have about a 2 week deadline to get their report finished and submitted for review... so nothing unusual about that. Sound like, for whatever reason, your SSBI was assigned before you left... just makes it easier to track down info if they need it.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Not unusual at all, just depends on their schedule.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Barbazu

Will I still be interviewed at boot camp?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

If they need something clarified or expounded upon, and you've already left for RTC, then it's possible. Otherwise, they'll file their report with Office of Personnel Management to be reviewed and adjudicated and you'll never hear about it again until you eventually log into NSIPS or have a CSM check your clearance in JPAS.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Barbazu

Okay, thanks. I was worried this was bad news, but instead it seems like good news(or neutral news at worst). My recruiter has shown me the progress on the clearance a couple of times, but it doesn't give much detail. I was wondering if they were doing anything at all. Hopefully they're wrapping it up.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Barbazu

What type of questions can I expect? Will they just go over my form or is it more detailed than that? I'm wanting to be as prepared as possible.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
What type of questions can I expect? Will they just go over my form or is it more detailed than that? I'm wanting to be as prepared as possible.
Anything in your record or history is subject to questioning. Moral character is also a big one.

Seriously, you're stressing about this whole thing way more then you need to be. Just relax, let it happen, and answer whatever they need honestly. It's not like the CIA is interrogating you or anything; it's just basic stuff.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Barbazu

Gotcha! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
Barbazu

I did my interview today. It took 2.5 hours, but wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. However, she said this was a Tier 3 clearance. I have no idea what that means. She said they wouldn't interview my references for a while. She did say that she saw no reason that I would have any problems getting the clearance I need for a school. Any idea what all that means? Haha
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazu View Post
I did my interview today. It took 2.5 hours, but wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. However, she said this was a Tier 3 clearance. I have no idea what that means. She said they wouldn't interview my references for a while. She did say that she saw no reason that I would have any problems getting the clearance I need for a school. Any idea what all that means? Haha
Tier 3 covers anyone needing TS, DOE "Q", or SCI access.

It covers all the general stuff involved in 1 and 2 (automated records checks, verifying shit like your birthday, etc), as well as checking records on your family (citizenship, criminal records, etc), local law enforcement checks, a face to face interview with the applicant, stuff like that.

None of this stuff you're gonna ever need to know unless you do some SSO work (which I did).
Really as long as they didn't bring up anything they thought was disqualifying (they would have told you if they did) then you should be fine and have nothing to worry about.

As with any clearance investigation I always tell everyone, always be 100% honest. Though that should be a given if you're getting into this career field.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Barbazu

I was honest about everything. In fact, I was very honest about one thing in particular them after divulging everything she pulled out a paper that she had where she had already discovered everything I told her. It was both relieving and scary as hell at the same time. But it was really a minor thing. She said it was the worst thing they found, but it wasn't bad at all. It had to do with prior employment and the nature of my departure from the job.