NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Beau.B

Beau.B is on a distinguished road
Question Pay during bootcamp

Hey everyone,

I know that the question of pay has been covered in other areas, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question anywhere.

Right now I'm in DEP, and I have been told that if I get everything signed off in my START guide, and then when I get to boot camp, if I pass my initial PFA and the written test that they give you, that I will be promoted to an E-2.

My question is, if I get promoted to E-2 in boot camp, do I start receiving the pay rate as an E-2 right away? Or does everyone get paid E-1, "with less than 4 months of service", pay until after boot camp, or after 4 months?

Thanks!

-Beau

Oh, one more question, do they deduct your initial expenses out of just your salary? Or do they deduct it from your allowances (BAH, ect) as well?
Beau.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

You'll be an E-1 until completion of boot camp, so you'll receive E-1 pay until then. They'll deduct out of your pay, they will NOT touch your allowances. but your first paycheck (minus your BAH) will be pretty slim..

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Beau.B

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Beau - What rating are you? The reason I ask is if your in a rating that gives you E2 anyways, or if you're going in as an E3, then you don't have to worry doing that Start guide....

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Beau.B

I'm going into the AECF program, though I'm not sure if I'll be ET or FC yet.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
vabchsue

vabchsue is on a distinguished road

And old history here, but Michael got paid as an E-2 due to his years in NJROTC. Still treated like every other E-1 though....
vabchsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I thought if you went in at a higher rate, you got "paid more per pushup." Still treated like an E1 for all other purposes though.
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
Yeah, I thought if you went in at a higher rate, you got "paid more per pushup." Still treated like an E1 for all other purposes though.
Micheal is the only person I've ever heard of getting paid more DURING boot. Most promotions in rank are dependent upon boot camp graduation, so during boot, you're still an E-1.. It isn't until grad day you're anything higher than that usually. His case is different than most.

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
vabchsue

While we were chatting last night I did actually ask him again about his situation...he said that everything was correct with what happened when he went in re his pay, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Shortone1286689

Shortone1286689 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Beau - What rating are you? The reason I ask is if your in a rating that gives you E2 anyways, or if you're going in as an E3, then you don't have to worry doing that Start guide....
Hey Craig, I'm curious along this same string. I'm going in as an E-3. Do I receive E-3 pay while in Boot?
Shortone1286689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortone1286689 View Post
Hey Craig, I'm curious along this same string. I'm going in as an E-3. Do I receive E-3 pay while in Boot?
NO, you dont, everyone while at boot gets paid as an E1, and you wont get your E3 stripes until about a week before you graduate.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
NO, you dont, everyone while at boot gets paid as an E1, and you wont get your E3 stripes until about a week before you graduate.
Sue, I think they do get back pay in boot camp to the rate they signed up for. I need to look at my kids LES to see what exactly happened. I'm not positive of what they do.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
vabchsue

Sue, you are incorrect about this. I've got his LES in front of me and Dan (who is former Navy) verified what's on it for me once again as to what Michael was getting paid.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Natsfam09

Natsfam09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Im going in as an e3 and I have studied the start guide, I am not to sure what you guys mean about doing the start guide. Is there a test or something?
Natsfam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Beau.B

One of the ways to get an advanced paygrade before going to RTC is to get the PQS signed off on the back of the Start Guide, pass your first physical test, and pass the written test they give you in the first couple weeks at RTC.

If you are going in as an E1, doing all that will bump you up to and E2.

If you're already going in as an E3, due to college/vocational credits, referrals, ect, the Start Guide and tests won't be necessary for advancement, but will still make your life easier in boot camp.

At least as far as I understand it.

-Beau
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Natsfam09

Natsfam09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau.B View Post
One of the ways to get an advanced paygrade before going to RTC is to get the PQS signed off on the back of the Start Guide, pass your first physical test, and pass the written test they give you in the first couple weeks at RTC.

If you are going in as an E1, doing all that will bump you up to and E2.

If you're already going in as an E3, due to college/vocational credits, referrals, ect, the Start Guide and tests won't be necessary for advancement, but will still make your life easier in boot camp.

At least as far as I understand it.

-Beau
Ah..ok I gotcha yet.

Thanks.
Natsfam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
vabchsue

I just noticed that I had written E-2 and not E-3 as to what Michael was getting paid. I missed that on the earlier post. But he was treated as an E-1 just like everyone else.