NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #51
holliann7

holliann7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgervais View Post
I was just asking to know how much to cut down on my current showers now as practice. I read somewhere that they got 10 minutes to shower each and that seemed excessive. No homophobia intended...
Honestly, do the opposite. Take really nice long showers up until you leave. Cherish it, lol! The showers are really not that bad. You get used to it. It honestly helped me gain better habits. Before boot camp, I used to shower for 45 minutes to an hour. I would just sit in the hot water and waste a lot of time. Now I only shower for 10 minutes at most. It helped me learn time management.

And plus, those showers are so crowded and uncomfortable that 3 or 5 minutes to shower is plenty of time. I found myself just wanting to get out and get dressed as quickly as I could.
holliann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #52
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise View Post
900 division! Hoping to be in one!! Extra work? I don't mind!

It is extra work but it depends on how you look at it. RTC is set on a competetive basis. Divisions compete against one another for high scores. To my understanding, the 900 divisions don't spend much time focussing on earning those scores, and they focus on their drill. I spent a majority of my time at RTC working towards hall of fame.

The first night you get to RTC, during the in-processing (which you'll stay awake for about 45 hours straight, just so you know), an RDC (a petty officer or chief) will be walking around asking if you have experience in drill, or can play a musical instrument. When they ask that, tell them that you do. Those RDC's are looking for people to be in a 900 division. 900 divisons perform at graduations and go out in the city to appear in parades and things like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #53
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhaugen View Post
I have a million and a half questions but I'll stick with a couple. FIRST: what was the swim requirements and process like? (I don't know how to swim yet.)
SECOND: did all the females cut their hair? (Not a deal breaker)

First: If you can swim, don't worry about the swim test. Honestly, it's easy if you can swim. You jump of a 10 foot platform and swim 50 yards and you get to choose the stroke you use. It's simple. Just don't panic when you jump off the platform. I would suggest learning before you go. Even if you fail the first time, you can go get lessons throughout boot camp. But it's 2 or 3 times a day, and it uses up a lot of time and you miss out on other divisional events like classes and drill practice. You have to pass the swim and prone before battle stations in order to graduate with your division. If you learn before you should be all set though

And yes, all the females get their hair cut. It has to be above the collar. For some reason, the Navy is the only branch that makes females cut their hari in boot camp. But after boot camp you are allowed to grow it out and put it in a bun. I don't mind the short hair. Honestly, it's easier to maintain, and having a tight bun of wet hair all the time would cause moldy hair. And that would be worse then an uneven haircut.
I'm glad it's not a deal breaker, because here at A school, a lot of Air Force girls have told me that that's why they chose the Air Forcer over the Navy... The haircuts! It's only hair, and it'll grow back It's definitley worth it!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Which means that the fewer ways in which you can be shocked (having to take a blazing fast, freezing cold shower, for instance), the more energy you'll have to handle the shocks you can't so easily anticipate. It's just like getting used to waking up at a set time, shaving, doing tons of PT, listening carefully with your mouth shut, and (for those of us who've been out of school a while) remembering how to take legible notes in a classroom lecture.

And frankly, some of us are just BORED with 6 months to twiddle our thumbs, and need some variety in our DEP lives.
Exactly this in its entirety. The people who have gone through it before must have forgotten about the pre-RTC anxiety and this 6 month waiting period. Ideally, the less shock to the system the better as told by all the recruiters in my office.
kgervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #55
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliann7 View Post
Honestly it varies division to division, and day to day. On days where there isn't much time you could have showers as short as 3 minutes. The showers never were any longer then 7 minutes, except on sundays when you can shower for as long as you want, within reason. It's a circle of shower heads and everyone gathers around them. It's an hour long on the schedule, but hygiene also includes laundry passing out and turning in. AND that also includes the time it takes to clean the head and get it on-spot.
Ah, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you and congratulations!

I'm leaving April 16th and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible but in the shower department I mat practice my quick showers in the morning and cherish my long ones at night haha.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #56
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Exactly this in its entirety. The people who have gone through it before must have forgotten about the pre-RTC anxiety and this 6 month waiting period. Ideally, the less shock to the system the better as told by all the recruiters in my office.
I didn't have any pre-RTC anxiety personally.. I just went with an open mind. If you do that, no matter what comes your way you will be ready.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #57
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
I didn't have any pre-RTC anxiety personally.. I just went with an open mind. If you do that, no matter what comes your way you will be ready.
That's really good advice. I think the anxiety builds up because people have so much time to think about it and me being at home with my folks. I'll be open-minded throughout so there's always room for adjustment. I'm not exactly fresh out of high school so it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
kgervais

Quote:
Did you enjoy your time serving?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #59
cire

Quote:
That's really good advice. I think the anxiety builds up because people have so much time to think about it and me being at home with my folks. I'll be open-minded throughout so there's always room for adjustment. I'm not exactly fresh out of high school so it shouldn't be too hard.
I didn't go right out of hs either so I think that helped. I guess that's one negative thing about sites like navydep, it can get people over worked up about joining! but it really isn't all that bad.

I did enjoy my time, got to be stationed in some awesome places and met some awesome people. I did help in a lot of ways, but the Navy is just like anything else in life.. you only get out of it what you put in. If you join and do nothing but partying and drinking, you aren't going to get much out of it

Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #60
kgervais

Quote:
I didn't go right out of hs either so I think that helped. I guess that's one negative thing about sites like navydep, it can get people over worked up about joining! but it really isn't all that bad.

I did enjoy my time, got to be stationed in some awesome places and met some awesome people. I did help in a lot of ways, but the Navy is just like anything else in life.. you only get out of it what you put in. If you join and do nothing but partying and drinking, you aren't going to get much out of it
You're right it does get people worked up, having all this information ready and available.

That's cool though. I would expect that to legitimately make a career out of it you'd really have to put your best foot forward. You were stationed in Hawaii? How was that? I've heard a lot of people say expensive but mainly for families.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #61
cire

Quote:
You're right it does get people worked up, having all this information ready and available.

That's cool though. I would expect that to legitimately make a career out of it you'd really have to put your best foot forward. You were stationed in Hawaii? How was that? I've heard a lot of people say expensive but mainly for families.
I mean you can make the Navy a career, or you can make a career out of the Navy. If that makes sense. For example, in 2001/2002 I was stationed with one guy who retired at 20 years as an E5. He was pretty worthless at his job. I came in the Navy as an E1, by the time I was an E2 I was his supervisor. I was also stationed with a guy (my LPO) at the same command who at the time was an IT1, he had been in about 8 years at that point. He then picked up Chief his first time up, then Senior Chief his first time up and then became a Warrant Officer his first time up. Guy was on top of his game, a perfect sailor, everybody liked him, he knew his shit and he was went out and did what he needed to do to make the Navy his career.

As far as Hawaii, I loved it. It was expensive, but no more expensive than say the nicer areas of San Diego. It is pretty expensive if you go out and buy a home, there are limited jobs and opportunities there.. but if you have a family there it might be expensive.. but at the same time you pay nothing to move there, you get free housing, and all the benefits of the military.

One thing I always hear about people in the Navy is that they don't make enough, always poor, always needing to be on food stamps, etc.. ok, so yeah the pay is not the best (although it has been getting better over the years).. but seriously, all it comes down to it is irresponsibility and living outside your means. Think about it.. in the military you get a steady income. For E5 married, I think it's roughly $1500 a paycheck.. that's NOT including the free housing on base or housing out in town paid for (roughly $800 a month either way), even more money the more kids you have, extra money for COLA, free medical and insurance, plus free access to the commissary and Navy gas stations for cheap gas. Not to mention tax free paychecks if you are in a tax free area while on deployment. Now I'm back to civilian life.. I'm currently making about $1450 after taxes a paycheck.. I still have $800 a month in rent, utilities, no COLA, my health insurance which I have to pay for each month which has a $1000 deductible (meaning I don't even get to use my medical until I pay $1000 out of pocket first).. etc.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that yes, being ANYWHERE can be expensive, but it is only going to be as expensive as you let it be. Military family? There is absolutely no reason to be "poor" especially if the spouse is working as well. It all comes down to being financially responsible. Don't go out and buy a new car which comes with a crazy high full coverage car insurance.. don't go getting a loan with a high APR to buy a used car. Save your money, buy something cheap that is reliable. If you live off base, don't go renting a house that costs $1500 when you only get $800 for housing (or whatever amount). Don't go blowing your money on console games, big screen tvs, stuff you don't really need. THEN you won't be complaining about how expensive it is to live somewhere.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #62
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've asked this before but I'm kinda confused because of the different answers I'm hearing but how long are the showers? About how long for each individual under the shower head? About how long is the process for the entire division?
You're generally given 45min to hygiene... that's for the entire compartment of ~90 recruits to shower, change, and get the entire compartment on-spot.

How that's done, is usually left up to the head crew and recruit leadership to figure out.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #63
kgervais

Quote:
I mean you can make the Navy a career, or you can make a career out of the Navy. If that makes sense. For example, in 2001/2002 I was stationed with one guy who retired at 20 years as an E5. He was pretty worthless at his job. I came in the Navy as an E1, by the time I was an E2 I was his supervisor. I was also stationed with a guy (my LPO) at the same command who at the time was an IT1, he had been in about 8 years at that point. He then picked up Chief his first time up, then Senior Chief his first time up and then became a Warrant Officer his first time up. Guy was on top of his game, a perfect sailor, everybody liked him, he knew his shit and he was went out and did what he needed to do to make the Navy his career.

As far as Hawaii, I loved it. It was expensive, but no more expensive than say the nicer areas of San Diego. It is pretty expensive if you go out and buy a home, there are limited jobs and opportunities there.. but if you have a family there it might be expensive.. but at the same time you pay nothing to move there, you get free housing, and all the benefits of the military.

One thing I always hear about people in the Navy is that they don't make enough, always poor, always needing to be on food stamps, etc.. ok, so yeah the pay is not the best (although it has been getting better over the years).. but seriously, all it comes down to it is irresponsibility and living outside your means. Think about it.. in the military you get a steady income. For E5 married, I think it's roughly $1500 a paycheck.. that's NOT including the free housing on base or housing out in town paid for (roughly $800 a month either way), even more money the more kids you have, extra money for COLA, free medical and insurance, plus free access to the commissary and Navy gas stations for cheap gas. Not to mention tax free paychecks if you are in a tax free area while on deployment. Now I'm back to civilian life.. I'm currently making about $1450 after taxes a paycheck.. I still have $800 a month in rent, utilities, no COLA, my health insurance which I have to pay for each month which has a $1000 deductible (meaning I don't even get to use my medical until I pay $1000 out of pocket first).. etc.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that yes, being ANYWHERE can be expensive, but it is only going to be as expensive as you let it be. Military family? There is absolutely no reason to be "poor" especially if the spouse is working as well. It all comes down to being financially responsible. Don't go out and buy a new car which comes with a crazy high full coverage car insurance.. don't go getting a loan with a high APR to buy a used car. Save your money, buy something cheap that is reliable. If you live off base, don't go renting a house that costs $1500 when you only get $800 for housing (or whatever amount). Don't go blowing your money on console games, big screen tvs, stuff you don't really need. THEN you won't be complaining about how expensive it is to live somewhere.
Thanks a lot for this information and insight I really appreciate it and I definitely needed it. This well help me and a lot of other future sailors reassess their steps towards their future in the Navy.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #64
kgervais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
You're generally given 45min to hygiene... that's for the entire compartment of ~90 recruits to shower, change, and get the entire compartment on-spot.

How that's done, is usually left up to the head crew and recruit leadership to figure out.
Ah, I getcha. It's all a process and shower is just included.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #65
hellokitty

hellokitty is on a distinguished road

Do people usually change their mailing address with the post office when they get to A-school or do you just let it all go home and have someone there let you know if something "important" came?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #66
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Do people usually change their mailing address with the post office when they get to A-school or do you just let it all go home and have someone there let you know if something "important" came?
If it is something official and important, I would have it sent home.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #67
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Back in time to before shipping: What all goes on during your second MEPS day, just before you ship out? How in-depth is the physical, and how much of your original visit paperwork do you have to do all over again?
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #68
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Back in time to before shipping: What all goes on during your second MEPS day, just before you ship out? How in-depth is the physical, and how much of your original visit paperwork do you have to do all over again?
From what I remember there wasn't much if any paperwork. Physical is a quick one. You will do your final/real swear in, etc.. nothing too crazy

Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #69
dcgirl

dcgirl is on a distinguished road

how was graduation? what all can i expect that friday?
dcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #70
holliann7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgirl View Post
how was graduation? what all can i expect that friday?
Pass in review is what they call graduation, and it's really quite the day. I graduated with 1700 other sailors. You stand at attention for a very long time. Don't lock your knees! :P You wear your dress blues. There will be a drill team spinning rifles and there will be musicians playing the drum roll that you march to. You march in as a division, and you march around the drill deck. You all stand side by side, and your division is introduced and awards are handed out. Speeches are made. The drill team (usually members from 900 divisions) perform. You are not officially graduated until you hear 'Liberty call, liberty call!'. That's when they raise the doors to the drill hall and you are free to go see your family. When I graduated, I had 15 minutes to see my family and then I had to go back to my compartment to gather some of my things and then I left again and spent the day with my family, from about 11am to 9pm.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #71
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliann7 View Post
Pass in review is what they call graduation, and it's really quite the day. I graduated with 1700 other sailors. You stand at attention for a very long time. Don't lock your knees! :P You wear your dress blues. There will be a drill team spinning rifles and there will be musicians playing the drum roll that you march to. You march in as a division, and you march around the drill deck. You all stand side by side, and your division is introduced and awards are handed out. Speeches are made. The drill team (usually members from 900 divisions) perform. You are not officially graduated until you hear 'Liberty call, liberty call!'. That's when they raise the doors to the drill hall and you are free to go see your family. When I graduated, I had 15 minutes to see my family and then I had to go back to my compartment to gather some of my things and then I left again and spent the day with my family, from about 11am to 9pm.
You will wear dress blues in the winter month, but then they switch to dress whites.

holliann7, did you guys get the entire weekend off? I was 900, we got the weekend off but then had to go back for another week of classes before leaving boot camp

Quote:
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #72
NAVY17

NAVY17 is on a distinguished road

I am leaving in July for basic but I really have questions about HM A school holliann7 can you give me any info on the new A school what is the liberty policy and how are the barracks.. how many people to a room and stuff like that thanks so much!! And good luck in HM school!!!
NAVY17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #73
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

I was told the showers are the best part of the day. It is the one place you get peace and quiet and can't be yelled at. is this true?
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #74
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz3232 View Post
I was told the showers are the best part of the day. It is the one place you get peace and quiet and can't be yelled at. is this true?
Pretty much.. and when you can sit on the toilet and catch a minute or two of sleep.. oh and church. Highly suggest you go to as much church and as many services as you can - even if you aren't religious or it's the "wrong" church. Go.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #75
NavyGirlRecruit

NavyGirlRecruit is on a distinguished road

how are the PT sessions? how often do you have them between the actual PFA's? are they yelling at you when you can't keep up?? thank you so much!!
NavyGirlRecruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #76
cire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGirlRecruit View Post
how are the PT sessions? how often do you have them between the actual PFA's? are they yelling at you when you can't keep up?? thank you so much!!
After P days you will have them pretty much every day. They can be not too bad to pretty bad.. and yeah, expect yelling.. or "motivation"

Quote: