NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough
Default Coffee while in RTC

Is coffee available in the galley? I have heard yes and no and would like clarification.

23 year old college grad here who has a profound appreciation for it!

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Atom_breaker

Atom_breaker will become famous soon enough

I'm more concerned that there will be too much! I was struggling with a caffeine addiction a few years back and have since given it completely up, even chocolate! But I am worried that we are to encouraged to consume caffeine especially Ricky Rockets, and Go-go Juice. <effects of caffeine.
Atom_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

Yes there is coffee, though I've heard it's decaf. I know it didn't do anything for me at all. My rdc's had a coffee maker in the fish bowl and I would make coffee for them in the morning and sneak a cup before they got in, after a month or so of drinking galley "coffee" I really noticed that first real cup, it was wonderful.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
classified9
**Active Duty**

I didn't really start drinking it a lot until I got to college, my brother was at RTC back in 2010 and he said they drank it all the time in the galley since it was the only way to stay awake lol.

If we are allowed to have regular joe in the galley then this place won't be so bad! lol

Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
Yes there is coffee, though I've heard it's decaf. I know it didn't do anything for me at all. My rdc's had a coffee maker in the fish bowl and I would make coffee for them in the morning and sneak a cup before they got in, after a month or so of drinking galley "coffee" I really noticed that first real cup, it was wonderful.
well played!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Arvy

Arvy is on a distinguished road

i hope so ....
Arvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

i hope so ....
Exactly.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you got the idea that recruits are encouraged to caffeine up...that's for the fleet. Not only is the galley coffee decaf, there are in fact NO caffeinated drinks for recruits at all. The reason I was given is that it dehydrates you. I am sure there are many better ones, too.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
AramilX

AramilX is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend got me addicted to coffee about a year ago. I tried giving it up for a while, but I just can't resist that sweet, sweet caffeine in the morning. As long as no one minds me being a grumpy ass in the morning, boot camp will be fine.

DEP date 10SEP13
Ship date 03JUN14
AramilX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
I don't know where you got the idea that recruits are encouraged to caffeine up...that's for the fleet. Not only is the galley coffee decaf, there are in fact NO caffeinated drinks for recruits at all. The reason I was given is that it dehydrates you. I am sure there are many better ones, too.
Also you probably want to ween yourself off caffeine before you ship.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Atom_breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Saw this on another site, I guess I interpreted it wrong:

"Ricky Rocket: A boot camp "energy drink" made from an assorted mix of sodas, sports drinks, coffee, sugar and artificial sweeteners used to help keep the recruit awake. Also known as "Go-Go Juice". Or half a glass of coffee, half chocolate milk and a shit ton of sugar."
Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom_breaker View Post
Saw this on another site, I guess I interpreted it wrong:

"Ricky Rocket: A boot camp "energy drink" made from an assorted mix of sodas, sports drinks, coffee, sugar and artificial sweeteners used to help keep the recruit awake. Also known as "Go-Go Juice". Or half a glass of coffee, half chocolate milk and a shit ton of sugar."
I looked it up, because of all the caffeine concoctions I've heard sailors talk about, that wasn't one of them. It looks like it's something from bootcamp of days past.

The only "energy" drink we got was Gatorade.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

You can definitely give yourself a sugar rush but there's always a crash after. Everyone in my div swore that the coffee was caffeinated but our RDCs towards the end let us get a drink of our choice from the NEX and I got one of the starbucks frappe thingies and holy hell bat man let me just say there is ZERO caffeine in boot camp! I was sooooo hyper for the rest of that day. The diet coke and coke zero do have small amounts of caffeine though but depending on your rdc you may only be able to drink water!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

If the galley coffee was decaffeinated, I never noticed… it was just really nasty. As ejrwelch mentioned above, there is Coke, Diet Coke, etc. in the galley. While your RDCs CAN NOT dictate what you eat or don't eat, they can make your life very difficult if they see you eating or drinking something they don't want you to be (whether it be sodas or desserts). .
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
classified9
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post

i hope so ....
This is dead on lol.

I don't drink a ton of pop, I try and eat healthy these days so maybe a diet pop every now and then but mainly my go to is black coffee when I want that boost. I can do without it in RTC, I'll consume copious amounts of coffee in my Navy career I can guarantee that lol

Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #16
whitkid22

whitkid22 is on a distinguished road

A couple weeks to go and I am weening myself off of coffee, drinking plenty of water and running 2 miles per day. Time to focus.
whitkid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Charlize

Charlize is on a distinguished road

Everybody kept saying that the coffee in the galley was decaf, but somehow it kept me awake. I really felt the difference between the days i drank or did not drink coffee.

They did have sodas, so dehydration was not their main concern, but the tea was herbal.
Charlize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

The coffee isn't decaf... it's just really cheap and contains minimal caffeine. Oh, and there's nothing "special" in the eggs... ignore those rumors.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Charlize

Charlize is on a distinguished road

Let's face it. Nobody really cared about the taste. The main idea was to fill yourself up with important stuff in a matter of the given time.

Anyways - best food and best sleep in my life.
Charlize is offline   Reply With Quote