NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
the
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
the is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Change to IT from EM

Hi

I am working as computer programmer in civilian life for almost 9 years and I already got Master Degree in Computer Science. But when I joined navy, because I am not citizen, they don't give me IT job and ended up with EM. I am really into IT field and would like to change to IT as soon as possible. My ship date is 20160510. Anyone knows or any advice for when and how I should start to change to IT reserve.

Thanks in advance
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
contigo26
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 10
contigo26 is on a distinguished road
Default

You have to be a citizen I believe in order to go with IT because you need a security clearance dealing with confidential info. This is what I was told as well. I wanted to go with IT but i am also not citizen at the moment so i am waiting till i get it and will continue my process.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
the
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
the is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
You have to be a citizen I believe in order to go with IT because you need a security clearance dealing with confidential info. This is what I was told as well. I wanted to go with IT but i am also not citizen at the moment so i am waiting till i get it and will continue my process.
which job you have picked up for now and are you planning to ask for to change job while in bootcamp?
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
contigo26
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 10
contigo26 is on a distinguished road
Default

Actually I haven't picked up a job yet. I am still gonna go in and take my ASVAB sometime next week. My recruiter told me that i might have to wait since i already filed for my application in January for citizenship.

Until then he wants me to wait till i get my citizenship document then we can proceed and go through all those MEPS stuff and choose a job if what i want is there.

Otherwise I can't forward with the process till i receive my citizenship.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
biruis
Member
 
biruis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 10
biruis is on a distinguished road
Default

I would suggest setting up an officers package as quickly as possible. Because you can earn your citizenship in bootcamp, then after that you can get picked up for OCS at almost any point.

Also once you qualify for a clearance, you might be ale to later cross rate into IT. They seem to have a lot of billets for it at the moment.

But with a masters degree in computer science, I think you would fit the bill as an intelligence officer pretty well.
__________________
biruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Secret Secret
Posts: 1,287
Rep Power: 260
FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Your biggest road-block is your citizenship status in regards to security clearance.

We aren't going to give network admin access to non-citizens for obvious reasons. So get that squared away and then that's when you can try again.

/r
CTT1
__________________
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
contigo26
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 10
contigo26 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biruis View Post
I would suggest setting up an officers package as quickly as possible. Because you can earn your citizenship in bootcamp, then after that you can get picked up for OCS at almost any point.

Also once you qualify for a clearance, you might be ale to later cross rate into IT. They seem to have a lot of billets for it at the moment.

But with a masters degree in computer science, I think you would fit the bill as an intelligence officer pretty well.

That would be true. But I already started my application process at the beginning of the year and the paperwork is in process. And my recruiter said I will just have to wait until I get it then I can continue on with enlisting to Active. No other way to speed it up according to what I was told. Unless if i joined and filed for citizenship in bootcamp but it's too late for that now.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
the
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
the is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biruis View Post
I would suggest setting up an officers package as quickly as possible. Because you can earn your citizenship in bootcamp, then after that you can get picked up for OCS at almost any point.

Also once you qualify for a clearance, you might be ale to later cross rate into IT. They seem to have a lot of billets for it at the moment.

But with a masters degree in computer science, I think you would fit the bill as an intelligence officer pretty well.
Thank you! Do I need to contact officer recruiter to prepare for officer package? I wanted to join as officer but coz of citizenship , I joined as reserve enlisted. My current recruiter is enlisted recruiter and he said I can try to officer program once I get into navy.
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
LT Guppy
**Active Duty**

 
LT Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,858
Rep Power: 341
LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold
Default

All officers are required to hold at least a secret clearance, but I believe you could start your package now.
You'll need to talk o an officer recruiter and schedule the ASTB test.
__________________
Officers: making simple stuff hard since 1775

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
the
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
the is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
All officers are required to hold at least a secret clearance, but I believe you could start your package now.
You'll need to talk o an officer recruiter and schedule the ASTB test.
I understand that officers are required security clearance and citizenship. That's why I am planning to join to officer program once I get my citizenship. My ship date is in May 10th, 2016. Since I am not citizen now, can I start officer package now or schedule ASTB test?

Thanks.
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
LT Guppy
**Active Duty**

 
LT Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,858
Rep Power: 341
LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I understand that officers are required security clearance and citizenship. That's why I am planning to join to officer program once I get my citizenship. My ship date is in May 10th, 2016. Since I am not citizen now, can I start officer package now or schedule ASTB test?

Thanks.
I'm not a recruiter, but it probably depends on the timeline for your citizenship.
It wouldn't hurt to talk to an officer recruiter to get a better idea of when you can start the process.
__________________
Officers: making simple stuff hard since 1775

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #12
the
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
the is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I'm not a recruiter, but it probably depends on the timeline for your citizenship.
It wouldn't hurt to talk to an officer recruiter to get a better idea of when you can start the process.
Thanks for your advice!
the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
savphoto
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 6
savphoto is on a distinguished road
Default

Do as much as you can now because once you become an EM, the only way to switch to an IT, even after citizenship, would be at your 4 year mark on your contract through C-way. It's basically a system where they input your performance as an EM, how many years you've been in, and your rank against other people as EM's to see if you can reenlist as an EM. At that point in time, you can also input if you would like to convert rates.
savphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles