NavyDEP
 

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
06Grubn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
06Grubn is on a distinguished road
Default Navy Reserve IT

Greetings folks! First post on this site for me. I'm a depper for the Navy Reserve as an IT rating. I fully understand what the Reserve component entails after training. I just want to get that out of the way to avoid the "it's nothing like active duty" stuff. I get that. My biggest question is in regards to if I get called to active service at some point (deployed). The job classifier told me that 99% of Reservist's do not go to a ship when deployed. He meant any Reservist also, not just my rating. I had hard time grasping that this could be the case.

So basically I'm just looking for Reservist's to describe their AT opportunities, deployment opportunities, and overall experiences in the Reserves. If you're experienced in the Reserve IT rating, that would be even better. I spoke with a retired E9 who did 8 active, and 18 Reserves. He seemed to indicate that my job was a good one, and I would have lots of opportunities aboard / ashore both in my 6 years. Any additional input is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

-Nick
06Grubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
cire
Senior Member
 
cire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WA, from CA
Posts: 335
Rep Power: 38
cire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Grubn View Post
Greetings folks! First post on this site for me. I'm a depper for the Navy Reserve as an IT rating. I fully understand what the Reserve component entails after training. I just want to get that out of the way to avoid the "it's nothing like active duty" stuff. I get that. My biggest question is in regards to if I get called to active service at some point (deployed). The job classifier told me that 99% of Reservist's do not go to a ship when deployed. He meant any Reservist also, not just my rating. I had hard time grasping that this could be the case.

So basically I'm just looking for Reservist's to describe their AT opportunities, deployment opportunities, and overall experiences in the Reserves. If you're experienced in the Reserve IT rating, that would be even better. I spoke with a retired E9 who did 8 active, and 18 Reserves. He seemed to indicate that my job was a good one, and I would have lots of opportunities aboard / ashore both in my 6 years. Any additional input is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

-Nick

I wasn't a reservist, but I worked with a few during their 2 week vacation at my command in Hawaii.. They didn't do anything really .. just hung out, did paperwork, hung out, drank, went sightseeing, and basically was on vacation
__________________
I was an IT from 2000-2006, served at NCTAMS PAC in Wahiawa, HI, USS Ogden in San Diego and finished my time on North Island. Joined as an E1 and made E5 at my 3 year mark.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
06Grubn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
06Grubn is on a distinguished road
Default

Well that does sound unfortunate for active sailors to see. I don't want to jump the gun, but I do plan to absorb all I can out of it. So hopefully I won't be one of "those guys". Hard to say until you actually get there though. I'm 24, and already slightly more mature than most of the guys I've met going in. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to be looked down on as a lesser as it is, so I fully intend to try to earn the respect of anybody I work with worth earning. In short, a "squared away" Reservist if possible. I'm not doing it for handouts, that's for sure. Your response is appreciated however!
06Grubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
griz3232
Senior Member
 
griz3232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 140
Rep Power: 19
griz3232 is on a distinguished road
Default

I am going in Reserve too and from what I have been told is that you don't really have an option if you keep working or not. i am like you and want to get the most out of my time and hopefully get FTS.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
06Grubn
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0
06Grubn is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't actually mean as if you could just say "I'm done today", and go out to see the sights instead of learning and working. I just meant I intend to absorb what I can when I am working. I want to know my job just like the active guys. Reserve units out there do exist where they are just as capable. I always remember the story about a Marine Corp artillery battery from a Reserve unit out of my state. In the Battle of Fallujah they were later nicknamed "Sniper Battery Mike". They were the most dialed in battery in the entire battle. So there is some hope for Reservist who aspire to do their job well. Now I'm not saying being an IT is like being field artillery. I'm just using that as an example. I want to be "dialed in" so nobody can question my abilities at my job, and then blame it on being a Reservist.
06Grubn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
cire
Senior Member
 
cire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WA, from CA
Posts: 335
Rep Power: 38
cire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Grubn View Post
Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't actually mean as if you could just say "I'm done today", and go out to see the sights instead of learning and working. I just meant I intend to absorb what I can when I am working. I want to know my job just like the active guys. Reserve units out there do exist where they are just as capable. I always remember the story about a Marine Corp artillery battery from a Reserve unit out of my state. In the Battle of Fallujah they were later nicknamed "Sniper Battery Mike". They were the most dialed in battery in the entire battle. So there is some hope for Reservist who aspire to do their job well. Now I'm not saying being an IT is like being field artillery. I'm just using that as an example. I want to be "dialed in" so nobody can question my abilities at my job, and then blame it on being a Reservist.
Well just remember.. a reservist will be put into a position in a new command where they can be utilized. You most likely won't put a reservist you know nothing about, with who knows what kind of training, manning some equipment that lives or ships depend on. You might get training on it at some point, but chances are you are going to be doing more menial tasks that aren't overly complex.. because it requires less "babysitting" and training.. what I would do if I was you, when you do get sent on your 2 weeks vacation and get assigned to a division.. ASK for training, to be out in the floor in the middle of the work.. show them that you are motivated and there to do some real work.
__________________
I was an IT from 2000-2006, served at NCTAMS PAC in Wahiawa, HI, USS Ogden in San Diego and finished my time on North Island. Joined as an E1 and made E5 at my 3 year mark.

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
This site and contents 2009-2014 NavyFamiles