NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Submarine (Bubbleheads) > SECF = Submarine Electronics/Computer field

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
etorres313

etorres313 is on a distinguished road
Default SECF Info? General sub life help?

Just signed up as SECF having tough time getting a feel for what actual sub life is like. In terms of communication, deployements, being able to explore other places when your at port. Do you even go to ports or do you only pop up where you left from months down the road? Does it present the same opportunities of travel as being on ship. Definetely looking for the major differences between sub life and ship life most of all. Any help is appreciated
etorres313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
FutureSailor12

FutureSailor12 is on a distinguished road

Hooyah SECF!

Sub Life will be an entirely new experience. It is extremely rewarding career wise as well as for your post Navy Career.

You will have very little communication with the world when you are deployed. Fast attacks will visit ports every so often. The SSBN's not so much. I would have to say it doesn't give you the same opportunities as a ship but you will enjoy it more in my opinion.

Currently Stationed at Naval Submarine Base New London.
FutureSailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
scarswell

scarswell is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! Email is the only way we can communicate back home but that only happens at periscope depth and only with fast attack and ssgn's. Boomers stay under water the entire deployment so we are effectively completely cut-off from the rest of the world. SSN deployments can range anywhere from a few weeks to upwards of 6 months. SSBN and SSGN 3 months out to sea "3" months in ports while the other crew are out to sea. But the "3" months in is longer than 3 months because of maintenance and the boat being refitted with other equipment. Port calls for fast attacks and ssgns just depend on the deployment length and where you're going. I don't know a lot about about surface life but I'd say that we hit a few more ports than they do. #1 reason for going subs- you don't have to shave underway on most boats. Because we are such a tight family how many surface captains know everyone on their ship by first name? 0.

FutureSailor your the only other sub guy i've seen on here
scarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
etorres313

Hey guys! what type of sub are you on how do you like it if you dont mind me asking? Do you know much about the in between time on a fast attacks. More like 6 mo deployment or more like 8-9 months like surface ships & do you spend your non deployment time out at sea anyways? I know boomers you cant do much in terms of going back under for training n such as the sub is gone with the other crew. I like this aspect as it'll grant more consistent time with the family but my wife (believe it or not) doesn't want me to sacrifice the opportunity of being able to see some of the world. I know its all need based of course. So im torn between the 2 if the opportunity is available for both when i select orders. Of course the better communication on FAs even if it is just email and phone calls and whatnot at ports helps id imagine. Any help in that regard.

Last edited by etorres313; 06-25-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
scarswell

Fast attack for me. The deployments aren't on a set schedule some may last a few weeks others last months. Both have their pros and cons but I wanted to see as much as possible and that I have. Japan, Australia, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand. Yeah communicating is a big plus for me
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
etorres313

Do you get time in between though or is it all constant being out? What exactly do you get in terms of communication n how often? Honestly how bad is it with the shared rack is it really 3 to a rack on rotations. Like ive been seeing. How is it being under do you get used to it in time? And mythbusters are subs really comprised of just a bunch of nerds? Or is that just people talking out the yang
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
scarswell

There's usually 1 or 2 months in between deployments. How often you get email is all dependent on the captain since we can only email at pd and hes the one who decides when we go pd. Hot racking isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's 3 people to 2 racks. The only thing that I don't like is that there isn't a lot of room for personal stuff since the rack pans are split between 3 people. Unless the sea is really rough you really can't even tell you're underwater. If you ever watch the movie Down Periscope I think that is the most accurate to haw sub life and it's crew really is. Most captains want to have fun and they will bs with you. One time we took the COs door off his stateroom and hid it in the head. Try that on the surface you get ****ing kicked out of the navy. Then one time a few guys tagged out the door to his head (when something is tagged no one including the captain can use the piece of equipment until the AO approves the tag to be removed) so he had to try and track down the AO to be able to remove the tag. But the AO kept hiding from him. It's a fun time
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
FutureSailorjb2

FutureSailorjb2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarswell View Post
Welcome aboard! Email is the only way we can communicate back home but that only happens at periscope depth and only with fast attack and ssgn's. Boomers stay under water the entire deployment so we are effectively completely cut-off from the rest of the world. SSN deployments can range anywhere from a few weeks to upwards of 6 months. SSBN and SSGN 3 months out to sea "3" months in ports while the other crew are out to sea. But the "3" months in is longer than 3 months because of maintenance and the boat being refitted with other equipment. Port calls for fast attacks and ssgns just depend on the deployment length and where you're going. I don't know a lot about about surface life but I'd say that we hit a few more ports than they do. #1 reason for going subs- you don't have to shave underway on most boats. Because we are such a tight family how many surface captains know everyone on their ship by first name? 0.

FutureSailor your the only other sub guy i've seen on here
Currently SECF, I ship out May 12th. I have been looking into changing to CTR, but if it comes down to me not being able to I believe I will be just as happy with SECF.
FutureSailorjb2 is offline   Reply With Quote